Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gaelic factions

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Default New Gaelic factions

Hey, I was looking at your mod (LOVE the concept, BTW ), but as a student in Gaelic history, I noticed a few IMPORTANT factions that were left out. The only reason I'm mentioning this, is I noticed that you guys are doing awsome work and going through great lengths to make a detailed mod... So here are my faction ideas:

Kingdom of Tara:
    A MUST HAVE for Irish factions, representing the Iron grip the O'Niell family had over Ireland.

Scotland should be divided into different factions, so it is more realistic and makes them comparable in size to the Saxon Kingdoms. My ideas are,

Kingdom of Dalriada:
    Formerly a major trade kingdom between Ireland and Scotland, but after being bloodied and beaten by Irish, Saxon, and Pictish peoples. But shrewed alliances and diplomacy may restore them to former strength.

Kingdom of Alba
    Orginized kingdom of the Pictish-Scots and in reality, the Kingdom of Scotland mainly occupying the Eastern Scotland...

Lastly, Wales should be divided into two factions, to show the real strugle Wales had to keep it's independance:

Kingdom of Gwynedd
    The most powerful kingdom of the Britons in Europe, and located in Northern and Central Wales. This IS Wales...

Kingdom of Deheubarth
    The southern Briton neighbor and Ally of Gwynedd, not nearly as powerfull but easily able to expand into Cornwall or wherevere...

I hope you guys can use my Ideas, I like the mod you are making and would really like to see it succeed. Thanks

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: New Gaelic factions

Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar Gubius View Post
    Kingdom of Tara:
    A MUST HAVE for Irish factions, representing the Iron grip the O'Niell family had over Ireland.
    "Unfortunately 2 or 3 more irish factions are too many for us. We almost run out of time and I spend all my free time working on this project"
    "We don’t want to create any more factiond. I don’t have any time...
    These two factions were choosen at the begining by my "moder collegue" but I will ask him why he chose them."

[COLOR=darkgreen]Scotland should be divided into different factions, so it is more realistic and makes them comparable in size to the Saxon Kingdoms. My ideas are,

Kingdom of Dalriada:
    Formerly a major trade kingdom between Ireland and Scotland, but after being bloodied and beaten by Irish, Saxon, and Pictish peoples. But shrewed alliances and diplomacy may restore them to former strength.
    "The kingdom reached its height under Áedán mac Gabráin (r. 574-608), but its expansion was checked at the Battle of Degsastan in 603 by Æthelfrith of Northumbria. Serious defeats in Ireland and Scotland in the time of Domnall Brecc (d. 642) ended Dál Riata's Golden Age, and the kingdom became a client of Northumbria, then subject to the Picts. There is disagreement over the fate of the kingdom from the late eighth century onwards. Some scholars have seen no revival of Dal Riata after the long period of foreign domination (after 637 to around 750 or 760), while others have seen a revival of Dal Riata under Áed Find (736-778), and later Kenneth MacAlpin (Cináed mac Ailpín, who is claimed in some sources to have taken the kingship there in c.840 following the disastrous defeat of the Pictish army by the Danes): some even claim that the kingship of Fortriu was usurped by the Dál Riata several generations before MacAlpin (800-858).[6] The kingdom disappeared in the Viking Age." (wikipedia)

my starting date: 865

[COLOR=darkgreen]Kingdom of Alba
    Orginized kingdom of the Pictish-Scots and in reality, the Kingdom of Scotland mainly occupying the Eastern Scotland...
    My faction list:
    Celtic culture:
    Kingdom of Alba

Lastly, Wales should be divided into two factions, to show the real strugle Wales had to keep it's independance:

Kingdom of Gwynedd
    The most powerful kingdom of the Britons in Europe, and located in Northern and Central Wales. This IS Wales...
    My faction list:
    Celtic culture:
    Kingdom of Gwynedd

Kingdom of Deheubarth
    The southern Briton neighbor and Ally of Gwynedd, not nearly as powerfull but easily able to expand into Cornwall or wherevere...
    "We almost run out of time and I spend all my free time working on this project
    We don’t want to create any more factiond. I don’t have any time... "

Sorry mate, but my time is finite...

Factions & Cultures:

Viking culture:
    Kingdom of Denmark
    Jarldom of Hordaland
    Jarldom of Vestfold
    Norman clans
    (early Norman - mixed Norse settlers, from 911)

Anglo-Saxons culture:
    Kingdom of Wessex
    Kingdom of Mercia
    Kingdom of East Anglia
    Kingdom of Northumbria

Irish culture:
    Kingdom of Connacht
    Kingdom of Munster

Celtic culture:
    Kingdom of Gwynedd
    Kingdom of Alba

Caroling culture:
    East Frankish Empire

Norman (late) culture:
    Duchy of Normandy (late Norman - Late period, approx. 1000)

Viking rebel / Saxon rebel / Celtic rebel / Irish rebel / Fries Rebel

With limited time and resources you have to choose your facitons carefully, and it is better to have a completed mod with too few factions than a never-finished one with too many. Another issue is gameplay, particularly on the campaign - unless the map is on a very smale scale it is difficult to fit large number of factions into a small geographical area (multiple Welsh factions for example) as they often either stifle one another in inconclusive fighting, or one wins out so quickly that the other is never even encountered by players on other areas of the map.

If the map was smaller (eg. a Britannia-style Britain and Ireland map) there would certainly be an argument for more Gaelic and Welsh factions (Wales and the Welsh are not Gaelic BTW) but on this scale it would be more problematic, though not impossible.

I do agree with the OP about the Irish factions however, 2 factions is fine but the choice is not ideal - I would have chosen the Ui Neill of Tara over Connacht, which was not a major mover in Viking Age Ireland and only came into it's own in the 1100's. The two significant factions during the 800-1000 era are definitely Munster and the Ui Neill, both of which produced leaders who effectively unified the island, though accord did not last beyond their own lifetimes. Additionally, the eagle-and-dagger symbol of Connacht almost certainly post-dates this era, while the distinctive Red Hand of the Ui Neill does not. Probably too late for changing the heraldry and so on now though, just my 2 cents.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Ui Neill of Tara - ok, i think it over.
    ... but the others (moder) kill me!

Ask if you need more info.

BTW, have you released any province info or map? You PM'd people recently asking for help with rebel faction names, but it's kind of hard to know say anything without knowing what regions/provinces you're using...

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Ok, thank you mate!
    BTW you see the new irish units?

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    BTW, have you released any province info or map? You PM'd people recently asking for help with rebel faction names, but it's kind of hard to know say anything without knowing what regions/provinces you're using...
    Sorry, i dont know what does Socal_infidel plan!

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    Ui Neill of Tara - ok, i think it over.
    ... but the others (moder) kill me!
    I posted in the connacht faction preview we must recognoze the Ui Neill and bring them forth.
    Worry not Danova I will defend thee

On the addition of an Ui Neill faction:

Are there any ideas for unique units/buildings for this faction?

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

How about adding more factions in a later version?
    Miss me yet?

Are there any ideas for unique units/buildings for this faction?
    The Hill of Temhair na Ri itself is the obvious one, but it's more of a static building/wonder than a construction option.

For units, there are several possibilities for unique units (as there are for Munster) For a start, a cavalry bodyguard might be more appropriate for them than for the other factions.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Quote Originally Posted by IPA35 View Post
    How about adding more factions in a later version?
    i think we will add some new factions, and we will expend map...
    I hope we will have energie!

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    The Hill of Temhair na Ri itself is the obvious one, but it's more of a static building/wonder than a construction option.

For units, there are several possibilities for unique units (as there are for Munster) For a start, a cavalry bodyguard might be more appropriate for them than for the other factions.

Antagonist
    Thanks mate!

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

How about frisia is a new fraction, they were quit unruly a few 100 years before the mod..
    also 1 or 2 new gaelic factions would be better, sucses.
    Miss me yet?

Danova
    Including new factions now or with a follow up version is GREAT either way.What matters most to those of us glued to this excellent mods development is that your first release satisify you and your team.
    A dedicated team of modders like yourselves must not be driven trying to pack in too much.
    I forsee the Last Kingdom as one of few real Standout MtwII mods.
    I wish thee courage and strength

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANICUS View Post
    Danova
    Including new factions now or with a follow up version is GREAT either way.What matters most to those of us glued to this excellent mods development is that your first release satisify you and your team.
    A dedicated team of modders like yourselves must not be driven trying to pack in too much.
    I forsee the Last Kingdom as one of few real Standout MtwII mods.
    I wish thee courage and strength
    Thanks mate!

i think we will add some new factions, and we will expend map...
    I hope we will have energie!
    Awesome more factions means more all out war on the British Isles.

I hope we will have some more strength to do things like this.
    I’m going to finish the units soon after 5 months of hard work. And as there are still a lot of things to do I feel panic a little bit.

And as there are still a lot of things to do I feel panic a little bit.
    Just breathe, and relax

hehe!
    oh breathe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast