Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Balbus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Balbus

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus sat passively through this mass of debate. Would a decision ever be made?

Senators, I believe there have been changes that have been taking place in our lands while you have been debating among yourselves. Please excuse me, I shall be away for a little while, and shall soon return with an updated report on the state of our republic.

OOC: This means to wait for my report after the first advancing of the save set for this term.

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus returns to the Senate not long after, bearing another scroll to show the Senate.

Senators, like I expected, this new season has brought many changes that might influence our views on the various topic that we have been debating. Firstly, let us look at the Epirots. It seems that the predictions of some of our more pacifist senators were correct. The navy that was sighted near Arpi was indeed here to carry away the remaining Epirot troops. Citizens in Arpi reported seeing the army march off into the ships, then the ships sailing in the general direction of what I believe is Salona. So if any discussions with Epirus are now to take place, we must either send the ambassador the long way round by land, or build a fleet.

Next, the rebels. The rebels in the north have hardly moved at all. It seems they are still rather intent to sit on the edge of our northern border, disputing trade and raiding passers by.

However, another rebellion has sprung up in the north west between Ariminium and Arpi, with another Roman army under the leadership of one Appius. Though smaller, as far as we know, it contains rorarii, velites, some equites cavalry and two other units yet unknown to us. I currently see this as a greater threat in our land than the army of Marcus in the north.

Thirdly. the Carthaginians. It seems the first army that Carthage sent into our land has moved away from Central Italy back into Bruttium, where it has gathered together with the two other smaller Carthaginian armies that had been spotted crossing Sicily last season. Though they have not yet all integrated into one larger army, the signs of grouping together may bode ill for us. Also, another army, this consisting of one infantry and one cavalry unit, has been seen traversing Sicily in the direction of Italy as well.

And lastly, our own legion. I have ordered it to be gathered west of Capua, between our allied city and Rome itself. As you can see, it now consists of two hastati, one principe, one triarii, two rorarii and a Bruttian infantry unit, together with a legate to keep it in order. One more each of principe and triarii units will be ready by the next season, and another Bruttian infantry is also awaiting orders in Capua.

So senators, we face war on two fronts. Debate what you must, but make your points direct and and to-the-point. We must waste as little time as we can, as there is not much to spare. Let us try to get some things fixed so actions can be carried out. This must not be a term of indecision!

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus sits once more to listen to the discussion.

Caius Flavius Crassus was, as usual, the first to speak.

"Consul, thank you for your full and frank report. Senators, this is grave news indeed. Before we get into a discussion, I suggest that we formulate some motions as soon as possible and vote on them before we become swamped in a quagmire of rhetoric and it is too late.

I suggest that we use this legion immediately, bolstering it with what reserves the garrison of each city can spare. This will serve fine for dealing with these rebellions, which must be crushed as soon as possible before all Italy rises. And, when the rebels are defeated, the rest of the legion should be ready for action, and the levies can return to their cities and the first half of the legion can be brought back up to full strength and united with the fresh half. Then, we can focus on Carthage.

However, it is worrying that we are cut off from the scarcely-defended settlement of Rhegion. I am not sure what can be done to prevent this, the rebels present the most urgent threat yet our garrisons in the south are severely under-strengthed to fight off enemy attacks.

Would the house be prepared to discuss approaching one of these rebel leaders diplomatically? If we inform them of the threat posed to all Italians by Carthage they may unite with us against a common foe for a price.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Avlvs Postvmivs Albinvs:

Senator, you forget that the Carthaginians are, as we speak, close to Rhegium. If we are to remove the army from Capua in order to defeat the rebels, who's going to come to Rhegium's aid should the Carthaginians assault it? The legion would be three to six months away, according to season, if it marches firstly towards the rebels by Ariminium and perhaps a year or more if it marches towards Arretium. I'd suggest to drive the Carthaginians off as our first objective - or at least leave a portion of the legion back, close to Capua - and then deal with the rebels.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

If we drive away the Carthaginians first, we'll have to remain there to fight the counter-attack, and the rebels will continue to disrupt our lands and undoubtedly more uprisings will spring up.

It would be possible if we could raise two armies but finances would not allow for even a large force of levies at this time, and I do not think that the Carthaginians will attack for another 3 or 4 seasons, which should give us enough time to deal with the rebels and form up the legion.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

As I have stated before, the rebels are a greater threat then Carthage. If we end the revolts, they will likely return in coming years. We must make a show of strength to our allies! Crush the revolts and end the dissenting people from raising arms at us again.

And in the meantime let Carthage bring over it's men. The more men they have on Italy, the more for the killing. As for a punitive raid against Sicily, I ask you to note that they occupy around a third of the land with the Greeks and the "Sons of Mars" occupying the rest. Messana is in the hands of the Sons of Mars and not Carthaginian so an attack here is unjustifiable.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Caesar was done and before anyone could speak he leapt up.

"No! They are not a greater threat! The Carthaginians are the threat! You fool! Surely you do not beilieve what you just said Senator! If Carthage is allowed to move freely in OUR lands they will come back and bite us for it. We will regret using a legion to kill REBELS! Why? What a waste. Senators what I am talking about here is a true war. We have so far fought against enemies whom seemed intent upon capturing Italy. Even Phyruus was the same. However Carthage is not. They have land in Africa and Sicily. Carthage must be destroyed. It is simple as that. It must be obvious to you "learned men" that they are amassing an army for an invasion! So stop hiding behind Epirus and Rebels and have the guts, the heart to take on a true enemy! For Rome!"

Caesar sat and awaited opposition.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

We are taking on a true enemy, nobody here is a coward, so playing that card will not do you any favours. But we need to destroy these rebellions before any more crop up. After all, if we let two go unpunished, what is next - one of our great cities closing it's gates to us? And then economic turmoil? We have to do it now. Then we will attack Carthage. They are at least 3 seasons away from attacking, so we have time.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

The army Carthage has on our soil is pathetic much like your argument. You argue that Carthage is not intending to capture Italy and then state that they are amassing an invasion force. Which is it then? And as for this,

"If Carthage is allowed to move freely in OUR lands they will come back and bite us for it"

What has recently happened when we failed to crush a revolt within our lands in Etruria as soon as it had begun? A similar rebellion began in Umbria! We now have two rebellions with which to deal. We need to crush rebellions lest our allies desert us. Why would they join a people who cannot govern them and protect them? If we leave the rebellion, we leave our allies, and we lose Italia!

Take your pathetic warmongering out in the streets while we stay here and govern Caesar.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

I agree with senator Balbvs entirely. How can we not expect the Carthaginians to feel tempted to invade our lands if they see we allow rebels and traitors to wander freely and unopposed in our territory? We MUST finish the rebels as soon as posible, then proceed with any foreign invader. Besides, destroying the rebels will give our men extra experience in battle, and serve as a proof to everyone that Rome is, and will be, the sole ruling power of Italia, and will not allow ANYONE to even dare to oposse her! It will serve as a statement that we are here, strong as ever. Our pasive stance has already put us in a difficult position, let's not waste any more time!
    Last edited by Ozy; October 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM.

Well, from my calculations, the legion does not have the ability to move the whole way either to the Carthaginians or the rebels in this season (i.e. not enough movement points). I think the Carthaginians will still need at least one season or so to get a strong enough army, get organised, and begin to besiege a town. And I have also know of them to favour starving a town out more than assaulting it directly, which is what we do. I believe that if we take out the rebels under Appius, then we'd still be in time to get back to the Carthaginians, but perhaps not so if we go after the rebels under Marcus after defeated Appius.

The rebellion under Marcus would not be hugely out of our way since the legion would need to move south anyway, we could simply take the adriatic coastal road instead and defeat Marcus on the way.

I as well agree entirely with the Consul Balbus. I agree also with Senator Crassus that we must use the Campanian legion immediately to meet the Rebel threats. We can supplement our ranks with local garrisons as needed. However I strongly advise this body against attempting to bribe the scum into our own ranks--we have neither the funds nor the shame to do this.

As he aptly pointed out, we must put a motion to the vote before we are swamped by the ambitious rhetoric of contrarians and demagogues. Additionally, my proposal of sending a diplomat to Greece to seek peace and trade has yet to develop a consensus of support. Please address this matter now and do so quickly.

OoC: Missed your post Kal.

IC: I second the Quaestors proposal that we take the Adriatic rout and meet the rebel Apius on our way to challenge Marcus.
    Last edited by Sir James the Good; October 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Let me get this straight. The army led by Marcus is the one in far north. The one led by Appius is the one of the Adriatic coast. I'm saying that if we go after Appius only, we will probably still be in time to save our cities from Carthage, but if we go for Marcus, then Appius, or vice versa, we might have to besiege a city already taken by Carthage.

I apologise for my confusion, Senator. What I meant to advise the house was that if we progress quickly, bolstering our force with local garrisons, we should be able to easily defeat Marcus in the north in good time, and then we can immediately head south to the Carthaginians via the Adriatic Coast, defeating Appius on the way and resupplying our army as they go.
    Last edited by Lord Kal; October 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Senator Crassus, I believe you have the two commanders mixed up. Marcus is the one in the north, Appius is the one on the Adriatic coast.

OoC: Gimme a break man, i'm not long up

edited the post

OOC: Hehe, I like accuracy.

Well, anyway, surely this would be a worthwhile strategy?

An alternative might be to leave Appius alone after defeating Marcus. We can come back to him after expelling the Carthaginians from Italy, and the construction of a fortification at the Sicilian crossing guarded by levies will hold back Carthaginian forces until our legion can defeat Appius, resupply and return.

OoC: In EB, the Carthaginians regularly send armies to mull around in Italy and they never attack. I don't fear them besieging Rhegion because in my 3-some EB SPQR campaigns they never have attacked me until I attack them. That is why I would rather deal with the rebels first. Remember that if we leave an enemy army in our land, they will devastate nearby tiles and diminish our income.