Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Balbus

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Balbus

"Absolutely not. What I am proposing is a lasting treaty, sanctioned of the Gods. If what you are saying, Senator, is that Rome should make treaties with the sole intention of breaking them in a week, a month, a year even then you have no respect for the Gods - our Roman Gods."
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

You are a naive man indeed, Brutus, if you believe that they would honour such a treaty any longer than us. Barbarians do not understand the idea of nationhood. They will expand like vermin into every available space. Like the river, they will take the path of least resistance, which, if we continue to show them leniency, means our Italian soil. If they did accept such a deal, they would see it as a temporary ceasefire, nothing more.

You may question my honour, but I see it as prudence. Honour is all very well between good honest Romans, but it becomes a liability when you attempt to practice it on beasts such as those northerners.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I will have to check this, but I do not think that we are at war with Aedui at this stage anyway.

Well, now that the four motions have been passed, we now need to get things moving. Praetor Scipio, it is time for you to move to your legion and begin the march. I shall be going to inform the training fields of the need for further troops, and the Quaestor should send messages to the Italian city magistrates telling them to raise the taxes. However, we must also nominate the senator that we wish to send to Greece to secure trade and treaties with the various nations in that area.
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; October 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM.

I wish to nominate Our esteemed senator Falco, he showed his diplomatic skills when dealing with the Carthaginians, even if they decided to flaunt our ultimatum.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Aye, let Falco speak to the Greeks. Though the Carthaginians have proven to be ignorant fools, surely the Greeks will listen to a Roman senator.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Senator Crassus looked vaguely disappointed, or to be reminiscing of something before he spoke.

I would go, as I have spent time in Greece before and dealt with their custom, however I think Senator Falco is the more accomplished diplomat, and I must attend to financial affairs of state

OOC: Is the diplomat going to Greece by boat or walking to the north of Italy, and then south over the coast of Illyria? Just saying because if he is going by foot he could also make a deal with the Gauls while he is in the north...

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Senator Gaius Octavius,who had been listening to the arguing all day,rises.

"Senators.I am sorry for saying my answer late,but I want to say a few things.

First,the rebels are our top priority.We must show others that if they rebel,they will be slaughtered.We can't leave those morons raiding our caravans.Also,after that we must clear our lands from all enemy forces,that means the Carthaginians.And after we have eliminated all Carthaginian forces from Roman lands,we should take Sicily to prevent them sending more men here.

And I agree with that plan to send senator Falco as a diplomat,he has shown very good work in diplomacy.

Thank you."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Well, can't we make contact with the Koinon Hellenon in Sicily? Surely that would be the quickest way of doing things

OOC: Ah I forgot of that city , srry.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

I wish to nominate Caius Flavius Crassus for the diplomatic mission to Greece. He has shown an interest in the post and young senators should be given the chance to prove their worth both on and in this case off the battlefield.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Are you sure, Senator Falco? I may be young but I am more than thrilled to be fulfilling the role of Quaestor, I assure you I did not apply for the position out of a wish to further my career. There are many other young senators who would like the chance too, I am sure. But if the house wishes it, I will go.

If I may remind the Quaestor, the Koinon Hellenon has no foothold in Sicily.

I apologise, I thought the greeks in the region were affiliated with the faction.

Whoever does it, they will have to go via northern Italy and Illyria. To construct ships in the Adriatic would be madness.

And if I may say so, preparing for the coming military operations will require the Quastor to remain in Rome or close by. I do not think it will be good to send the Quastor to Greece, even by boat.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Caius Scipio rises.

Senator Lepidus, I cannot support the levy of another legion until I see a report on the military status. We are in need of a report.

Scipio, the measure has been voted on and passed.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

That has been ratified by law. The majority agreed to it, so it is passed.

You need not worry, Scipio. With so many rebellions, Carthaginian aggressors in the south, and barbarian forces in the north, we will surely need the two legions, and if the Punic war progresses smoothly then the economic situation will more than allow for the plan.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I propose that Falco go, we cannot spare our Quaestor with the recruitment of new armies sending the financial scrolls into turmoil. He is needed here in Rome. And also, the Senator should travel via the Aedui to seek a lasting peace, not a fleeting one. The Aedui have a great war of their own to fight against the Averni. Let these two parties hammer each other perpetually and maintain a lasting peace to preserve trade and our security.
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; October 29, 2008 at 06:23 AM.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!