Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead Space

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Dead Space

DEAD SPACE

Synopsis

Dead Space is a recently released Sci-Fi horror shooter for the PS3, the Xbox 360, and the PC. Set in the future, the entire plot revolves around the Ishimura, a planet cracker that breaks apart dead planets for use as raw minerals.

However, all is not as it seems, as it turns out that an infestation of some sort has taken over the Ishimura, causing panic and the entire ship to shut down. Responding to a distress signal, the crew of the USG Kellion arrives to repair their communication transponder, or so they think. Things turn for the worse, and the Kellion’s crew must try to survive on the Ishimura.

You play as Isaac Clarke, the Kellion’s onboard engineer. Armed with only your mining and engineering tools, you must fight your way through the alien infestation that is taking the dead corpses of your crewmembers and turning them into hunter-killer hybrids known as Necromorphs, as well as trying to find a way off the ship.

Gameplay

At its heart, Dead Space is a sci-fi horror shooter, mixed in with a few RPG elements. These RPG elements come in the way of upgrading your armor and weaponry, as well as inventory micromanagement, but everything else is purely located in the survival horror category.

Ambience is everything in a horror game, and to this degree, Dead Space performs remarkably. The characters you deal with, of what few there are, are believable, showing not only their good sides, but their petty shortcomings as well.

There is music in the game, although this comes in two flavors: ambience and combat. The combat melodies consists of quick sharp strings, designed to work in tandem with the player’s adrenaline spikes whenever a Necromorph is encountered, whereas the ambience music might simply consist of silence, or it may have some disharmonic strings in a minor key playing in the background, obviously working on the player’s sense of uneasiness and claustrophobia.

If you don’t like claustrophobia, prepare to feel VERY uneasy with Dead Space. Located on a mining ship, the corridors are very tight, with often very little wiggle room to avoid something, should a Necromorph pop out and attack you.

Being the crude fleshy assimilations of your former comrades, the Necromorphs aren’t the smartest of creatures. Their main weapon against you is fear, and they know this, often opting to ambush you if at all possible. However, if all else is unavailable, they have no qualms about just plain rushing you, while you try to kill them as quickly as possible.

Another interesting point to the game is that of using your weaponry to kill the undead ghoulies and ghastlies you encounter. Again, as Isaac is armed only with the mining tools of his trade, which are designed to cut through rock, you’ll find that you need to often improvise with your weapons with the creatures you encounter.

This is involved in the shearing of limbs. The Necromophs are humans mutated beyond belief, often growing extra limbs, claws, or just plain bulk. Shooting at their torsos only makes them angry. Instead, the trick to killing them is to shear off their limbs, wherever they may be. Keep doing it until they die – there is no other rule.

Isaac does have melee capabilities, although they are pathetically weak against the Necromorphs, and should only be used as a pushing back maneuver, or as a last ditch resort. Isaac can also stomp on any item or monster on the ground that is still alive.

The scares come often, but not always at the moment you’ll expect. Dead Space tries to step away from all the normal clichés of signifying when a monster is going to pop out and attack you, and it does this quite well. While some areas seem a dead giveaway, others will simply surprise you, when a room that honestly seems safe suddenly bursts open with three or four Necromorphs looking for a warm body to feed on.

Graphics

The graphics are quite decent for Dead Space. The ship looks convincingly sterile and dead, the Necromorphs are quite disgusting looking, and their behavior is quite realistic.

That being said, I do wish the graphics would be better for the PC. While totally blowing away anything the PS3 and the 360 could possibly offer in the graphics department, the game still suffers from some low-resolution textures, mostly on a variety of walls and such. However, this is a minor quibble, as you don’t notice this most of the time.

Screenshots

Here are some screenshots taken by me throughout the game to give you a feel of what it’s like to play the game. Keep in mind that these are all taken at my native resolution of 1920*1400, so you may do a fair bit of scrolling. The graphics you see is the game running with everything as high as it can possibly go. Hey, if you like a picture, it might even become your wallpaper or something, I don’t know.

Here’s Isaac, our brave hero:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here’s a few screenshots, showing what it’s like to play the game, and what the environments are like:

However, if you ever get lost, you have a nice little guidance laser beacon to help you out:

You receive communications via comlink:

All of your menus are in real time, meaning Isaac sees what you’re seeing:

You can also upgrade your equipment at a bench, by putting in power nodes you find along the way:

A moment with another living person is a rare sight indeed:

Necomorphs also come in all shapes and sizes. Here’s a baby transformed:

And others are simply behemoths:

… but they’re no match against a good flame:

… unless they’re even bigger than that:

Never stay in one place when fighting the Necromorphs, or else they WILL ambush you:

… which is why you need to shear off their limbs:

However, when in doubt, crush ‘em:

Final Thoughts

Dead Space is a return to what sci-fi horror games used to be: dark, uneasy, claustrophobic, and tense. Think of System Shock 2, but with only hybrids and no SHODAN. Think of it as a Hiigaran alone on a ship infected with the Beast. Regardless of what analogy you would like to explain the game as, think of it as good. I honestly haven’t had a good sci-fi horror game for a long, long time, and I’m glad Dead Space has arrived.

Story: A
    Gameplay: A
    Graphics: B+
    Sound/Ambience: A
    Overall: A

This is definitely one game you want to play in the dark, alone, and with the speakers turned up to the max.
    Last edited by Thanatos; October 23, 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: Dead Space

No offense but you seem to have a garbage PC ese.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    No offense but you seem to have a garbage PC ese.
    Dude, this is the game, not my computer. They never increased the graphics for the PC, so I'm stuck with this.

My gaming computer cost me $1500 to build myself.

HDD: 750GB
    RAM: 2GB DDR3 2GHz
    Motherboard: nForce 790i
    Front Side Bus: 1333 MHz
    CPU: 2.7 GHz Core 2 Quad
    Video: 1920*1200 ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB
    Power: 750 Watt Power Supply
    Monitor: SOYO 1920*1200, 2ms, 500 nits, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 24 inch screen.

It runs Crysis on DX9 at everything on max at a constant nice 30 FPS.

Crappy computer? I think not.
    Last edited by Thanatos; October 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Yeah I think not as well. But I wonder why the picture looks quite bad. I guess they are compressed or something.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

I don't think they look that bad.

I'm curious if we'll ever see moral outrage given you are killing BABIES. I was told we would be fighting NECROMORPHS. Who sent all these babies to fight me?

Hard game, I must say.

By the way, if you want to see something spoiler-y that will make you bricks:

New Arrivals
    Intensive Care
    Course Correction
    Obliteration Imminent
    Lethal Devotion
    Environmental Hazard
    Into the Void
    Search and Rescue
    Dead on Arrival
    End of Days
    Alternate Solutions
    Dead Space
    Last edited by Ahiga; October 23, 2008 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Yeah I think not as well. But I wonder why the picture looks quite bad. I guess they are compressed or something.
    It surprises me a little too, to be honest. But trust me, as I've said, when you're playing the game, you honestly don't notice it 99% of the time.

Any annoying DRMs in this game?
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

Not that I know of. It just installs, and runs. I don't know if there is an install limit, however.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Just bought it for the X360. Great game, one of the few released by EA in recent times that I actually liked. This baby is definitively going to consume my free time till Fable 2 is released for the PC.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Consul View Post
    Just bought it for the X360. Great game, one of the few released by EA in recent times that I actually liked. This baby is definitively going to consume my free time till Fable 2 is released for the PC.
    ...if ever. It might not, although I do hope so, because I play it often with my roommate on the 360, and it really is a good game.

Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed Dead Space as well.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

I found the game way creepier than, say, Silent Hill: Homecoming. There's something bizarrely chilling about dismembered zombies stranded in a ship floating through Outer Space.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    I don't think they look that bad.

I'm curious if we'll ever see moral outrage given you are killing BABIES. I was told we would be fighting NECROMORPHS. Who sent all these babies to fight me?

Hard game, I must say.

By the way, if you want to see something spoiler-y that will make you bricks:

New Arrivals
    Intensive Care
    Course Correction
    Obliteration Imminent
    Lethal Devotion
    Environmental Hazard
    Into the Void
    Search and Rescue
    Dead on Arrival
    End of Days
    Alternate Solutions
    Dead Space
    Looking at this beforehand is so gonna bite me in the ass when I get the game.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

You're going to enjoy the boss fights, trust me.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

it looks like a well developed game, but this stuff was just never my cup of tea. After playing Doom 2 (yes, all those years ago) I can't play horror games. Hell, even the flood on the Halo games gives me the hebbie jebbies. (surprisingly, I never flinch during a horror movie :hmmm
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Last Roman View Post
    it looks like a well developed game, but this stuff was just never my cup of tea. After playing Doom 2 (yes, all those years ago) I can't play horror games. Hell, even the flood on the Halo games gives me the hebbie jebbies. (surprisingly, I never flinch during a horror movie :hmmm
    Is it just that you don't like the "boo" moments, or...?

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Is it just that you don't like the "boo" moments, or...?
    the whole atmosphere, music, etc. Part of it is I'm just really jumpy.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

But that's why you play horror games, to FEEL jumpy!

Here's B.Ward playing Dead Space.

Last edited by Antissa; October 24, 2008 at 02:24 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post

New Arrivals
    Intensive Care
    Course Correction
    Obliteration Imminent
    Lethal Devotion
    Environmental Hazard
    Into the Void
    Search and Rescue
    Dead on Arrival
    End of Days
    Alternate Solutions
    Dead Space
    So did you actually find her body??

Anyway, I heard there is a presequel that would be out in 28 this month... Which one should I buy??

Excuse me if I didn't read clearly but how long is this game in total would you say?
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Well, I'm still in my first playthrough, and it's been almost 7 hours now, so...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast