Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slověne: Rodina, Bordy, i Hvala

Sanskrit_Bandit's Avatar Wielki Kniaź Wiślański

Default Slověne: Rodina, Bordy, i Hvala

Slověne: Rodina, Bordy, i Hvala
    The Slavic Realism Project
    “Overall the Slavs are eager to fight and hot-headed. If it were not for the discord among them, no other people would equal them.”
    -Ibrahim ibn Yaqub
    Hello all, and welcome to the Slavic Realism Project. What I had in mind for this was quite simple; provide an accurate base of information and facts on the early Slavs that any mods out there for whose time-frame the early Slavs fit could use at their will.

Now unfortunately, I personally have no modding capabilities of my own, so I cannot actually realize this little project into game terms by creating any models, units, files etc. If anyone ever decided to actually make the units that’d be fantastic.

Now, down to business, what this project is really about. Obviously, there have been a couple of mods that have included Slavs as a faction, and practically any mod that covers the period between 300-1000 would be eligible for at least some of the info I intend to provide. Some mods that may not have a “Slavic’ faction per say may still find the mod useful if, say, they have factions such as the early Bulgarian, Croatian, or Polish states.
    So what exactly will the project include you ask?
    A list of aims and goals:

• First and foremost, an accurate unit roster that would properly depict the nature of warfare practiced by the Slavs through the time they came onto Europe’s political stage in the Migrations, to the final centuries before 1000 AD when we see the consolidation among the tribes into kingdoms that have given us most of Eastern Europe’s modern countries. My aim for the roster would be to depict the nature of early Slav armies, the weapons they used, their infantry-based characteristic, and also the eventual widespread use of the horse learnt from nomads like Avars. I will also to the best of my abilities try to name the units in reconstructed Proto-Slavic.
    • Provide an extensive list of character names, which I think the best way to do will be to use a list of Old Polish pre-Christian names, supplemented by non-Lechitic ones like those of princes and kings from Rus’, Croatia, Serbia, or Bulgaria. These too I will try to de-evolve back to their original Proto-Slavic forms.
    • A short, concise list of simple terms and titles used inside the game itself on the campaign map, such things as names of agents, words for things like city, king, heir, family member, general etc, you get the idea.
    • For any ambitious mods that might have EB-esque aspirations in fields of historical accuracy, I will construct a unique tech-tree probably shadowing those used by some of the barbarian factions from EB, but with the names of the buildings in original Proto-Slavic. The tree itself will be as close a representation of early Slavic society as it underwent changes in the obscure and fragmented period of Late Antiquity, through the settling of extensive areas between the Elbe, Volga, and Mediterranean, to the final consolidation into separate kingdoms and nationalities.
    • A faction description for the campaign including a mini-history of the Slavs.

With these main goals I see little else which my abilities can provide in modding terms. All in all my greatest focus here will be to recreate Slavic society as accurately as possible, closest as it was culturally, materially, militarily, and linguistically in the period when the Slavs exploded on the European stage. If you have any suggestions or help, fell free to make them clear, and any discussion or FAQs may go into this thread as well.

čьstь i hvala!
    Last edited by Sanskrit_Bandit; January 16, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Default Re: Slověne: Rodina, Bordy, i Hvala

I am quite interested indeed and wish you the best of luck (and offer my help, if I can help with something from the Bulgar side)! But shouldn't it be in the WIP section?

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Moved to Wips, Ideas, and Proposals.

Nice idea.

Awesome! Haven't seen any mods dedicated to salvs yet!

i will help

i'm coder/scripter/3d moddeler(beginer)

that mod will be awesome
    Under the patronage of Nakharar
    DM Multi modding project

So anything new so far?

i've been a bit busy with school, as the term is coming into its last month. but i will get some more research in due time.
    @ zuma - my main intention was to simply provide existing mods with easy-access info for any possibly early slav faction, but if ud like to actually go ahead and create something with whatever research i'd provide you're more than welcome

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Looks great... the Poles and Moravians will appear in later releases of my mod, Golden Ages, set in the tenth century, so any information for either of these would be greatly appreciated!

good to hear

@ zuma - my main intention was to simply provide existing mods with easy-access info for any possibly early slav faction, but if ud like to actually go ahead and create something with whatever research i'd provide you're more than welcome
    nice
    i think if we will make just one faction like in CBUR it will be awesome
    DM Multi modding project

thats exactly what kind of inspired me to do this, i just don't have the modding capabilities

nice idea

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Btw, Polak, do you have the text (if it's of any use, that is) about the Slavs (Slovenes and Antes) from Pseudo-Mauricius or Leo VI? I have them on Bulgarian and Greek (Ps.-M. 281-289; Leo VI 172-174), so if you need them, I can translate the Bulgarian translation to English.

i have Mauricius' military manual yes, the other book I do not
    the former actually did help in getting a general sense of what type of units would be present
    lucky for me there isn't much room for many different units, but that just leaves my job to providing all the other faction info
    plus its really fun studying proto-slavic, seeing how it relates to our own mother language

I have some books about Slavic (western, southern and eastern) militarism by Michałek (well, he was a controversial author, but his books provide many unique information and what even more important - graphical reconstructions of early medieval warriors). So I can make an input to the research of slavic tribes (mostly Polanie, Polabians and Ruthenians) and also a bit to their enemies (Saxons for example).

And first of all - good luck

they might be a bit late since i think those books cover 10-11th c. and my main focus is 6th-9th
    but any help is welcome, and dzięki

Družina
    i'm making this unit know
    i will use parts of Rushichi units and my own work
    DM Multi modding project

Quote Originally Posted by Master Zuma View Post
    Družina
    i'm making this unit know
    i will use parts of Rushichi units and my own work
    Good luck with it! BTW What is your source for that concept?

Oh, and here is Xc Polanie Druzhina, that Vondagar started long time ago (part fo EE:TW mod):

Last edited by Silesian_Noble; November 16, 2008 at 06:19 AM.

zuma you might want to wait till i post up some photos, a Rus druzhina from that period in rusichi might look a bit different from the earlier ones

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast