Thread: Changing Movement Allowances

Civis

Default Changing Movement Allowances

Hi, one of the things that I am in the habit of adjusting is movement rates for the various mods I download since the map size coupled with the unit movment allowance is on the slow side of unrealistic.

Now I've managed to adjust the movement rates of the generals, but I can't seem to find the means to adjust the movement rates of the units for the campaign screen unless they are stacked with a commander. Then they seem to move at the longer distance rate. How do you do that?

Default Re: Changing Movement Allowances

Open the descr_character.txt and change the value of the number shown in red below.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    starting_action_points 110 ; default value for all characters and pathfinding calculations
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    type named character
    actions moving_normal, moving_quickmarch, garrison, assault, attack, besiege, entrench, ambush, diplomacy, bribe, exchange, building_fort, building_watchtower
    wage_base 100
    starting_action_points 100
    faction teutonic_order
    dictionary 2
    strat_model teutonic_general
    strat_model teutonic_general ; heir
    strat_model teutonic_grand_master ; leader
    battle_model Teutonic_General
    battle_equip gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    faction lithuania
    dictionary 2
    strat_model northern_general
    strat_model northern_general ; heir
    strat_model northern_generic_king ; leader
    battle_model Northern_General
    faction ireland
    dictionary 2
    strat_model northern_general
    strat_model northern_general ; heir
    strat_model northern_generic_king ; leader
    battle_model Northern_General

regards,
    Dave

Civis

Thta's what I thought . . . and for some curious reason it doesn't. They still crawl unless led by a general.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Dave is right. The key is to change the default movement points at the top of descr_characters.txt.

I remember there was another thread somewhere about this. There's another file that can be changed that will affect strat map movement. The original was about how to keep siege units from slowing down an army on the march. Can't remember where I saw it, so searching will be required.

Edit: Found it! See this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119655
    Last edited by aduellist; October 22, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Civis

Thanks for the thread reports. I did not meant to hint that David was giving me bad information, because that is the same fashion you change the MA in RTW as well. That was why I was calling it curious since it simply refused to register that I had upped the MA.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you didn't believe Dave (and, rereading my post, I can see how you could think that).

Did you start a new campaign? The change won't be picked up until you do, IIRC.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Civis

I figured it out, it turns out you have three numbers you need to change. By changing what Dave recommended in red, as well as each and every single character as well, I doubled the MA on all units and now have what I consider better MA for the map size.

But you have to change the following two numbers at least . . . but I changed all the character action points all the way down the line just to be sure.

starting_action_points 110 <---- ; default value for all characters and pathfinding calculations
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    type named character
    actions moving_normal, moving_quickmarch, garrison, assault, attack, besiege, entrench, ambush, diplomacy, bribe, exchange, building_fort, building_watchtower
    wage_base 100 < -----
    starting_action_points 100 <----

Userpro's Avatar =RAE= HostedMod Creator

The wage_base is the salary of that unit and has nothing to do with the movement.
    Visit our TWC M2TW-Kingdoms Hosted Mods Forum for...

!!! RAE Development stopped --- read last Statement here !!!
    M2TW-Kingdoms Mod Creator REDEO AD EXORDIUM ( RAE )
    Progress: 95% internal final beta release - 85% official release
    RAE TWC-Wiki Eagle Standard interview ... RAE.net Homepage ... RAE TWZ-Germany
    Proudly Sega & Steam Boycotter since ETW! See why here or this petition
    Sorry for bad english here, there and in my tutorials > advanced horde invasion & hide/unhide stratmap-ui & Beginners modding