Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Rebels - The Independent States

Default Shadow Rebels - The Independent States

Like the topics name says: The idea is about placing another quasi rebel faction in the game,
    which, in contrary to the Rebels, are not hostile to anyone, until you declare war on them.
    They shouldn´t be able to build diplomats ( though i´ve seen Rebels negotiating with own diplomat,
    asking for ceasefire after i lost londinium to a revolt, playing as Juli! - and i accepted, after
    that, i had peace with all the rebells on the campaign map^^ ).

With this shadow Rebel faction, it could be possible to simulate all
    the independent citys, wich weren´t hostile to whom ever, untill one didn´t try to conquer them.
    A human player could make a trade proposal to them, so could the AI. One even could make an alliance
    with the faction, especially intersting for human players, wich would keep this citys save from
    invasions, couse one could help them out ( immovable garrisons and family members should be
    the norm for this faction, like the rebels exist now ). The faction should have no option of
    building ships, they do represent independent colonies, even put in one faction for game play,
    they don´t act like "one faction", and got no power, to expand etc.

This "shadow" Rebel faction could recruit troops though, but not sending them around. As they aren´t
    hostile to anyone, even not to Rebels, they are a valuable trade partners for each empire. Especially,
    because i was thinking on making only the coastal cities like Massila, Syrakuse, Messana, well... most
    of the greek colonys in mediterran sea, including those on crime ( i.e. chersones ), maybe some others
    on islands...

Because this faction can not really expand and behave like any other one, it could still represent
    a non hostile part of the Rebells ( maybe even the bigger part of them ). So no ability for them, to take
    a diplomatic initiative, but the possibility of making treatys. Whith they quite large income due to the
    profitable sea trade, they would be able to defend their cities much more effective against invasions, and
    the "big empires" could protect them. One even could integrate a single city in the own empire, when the
    gouverner can be removed ( this is possible by assasinating a rebel family member, though i never tried to
    bribe this city afterwards, but it should work, i think ).

The present Rebells would still represent the pirates and brigants, terrifying the sea and raiding the trade routes
    everywhere. This Rebells could have kind of enduring peace to their shadow faction, though there should not be any
    contacts between them - the Rebells got ships, the shadow ones do not, the Rebells roam around with brigants, the
    garrisons of the independent cities are immoveable. Both make no use of diplomats or spies.

Using this indepenent city faction could make it easier, to direct the AI expansions properly, quasi more historicaly. And though the name of this game is Total War, it´s still about the simulating of the ancient world, and the RTR stand for realism, so does ExRM of course.

I know, there are to few slots for all relevant nations of this period of history, but even if there would be none for the shadow rebell faction, why not remove the rebells at all and replace them. What would we loose? The damn overpowered pirates or the cannon meat of rebells, spawning somewhere and nerfing AI and human player, without an real need?

Well... this is only an idea, i got it today after drinking my first coffee ( i usually need to, to really wake up )

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Shadow Rebels - The Independent States

I don't think that most of what you're proposing is possible, sorry. I could be wrong.

FWIW, I've reduced the spawn rates to the lowest the game will recognize.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Unrelated question but I don't think its worth starting a topic for; but with BI is it possible to have more factions by starting say like 3 factions out as "horde" factions and then placing large armies next to abandoned rebel settlements so they immediately attack the cities you want them to and then they are just like any other normal faction? Just was curious.
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Nope, sorry, horde factions count as normal ones. It's a good idea, though.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

In one mod I saw the rebels in the far east attack one of my cities as the Seleucids.
    It was one of those great big indian rebel armies with three or four elephants in it.
    I thought this was really cool and it took me totally by suprise.
    I do think it would be good to see the rebels attack weakly held cities.
    Is there anyway to make that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sardaukar One View Post
    In one mod I saw the rebels in the far east attack one of my cities as the Seleucids.
    It was one of those great big indian rebel armies with three or four elephants in it.
    I thought this was really cool and it took me totally by suprise.
    I do think it would be good to see the rebels attack weakly held cities.
    Is there anyway to make that happen?
    Play on Hard campaign difficulty. I've had rebels attack my settlements. In particular, I remember the rebel stack with Elephants in it trying to smash its way into Campus Massagetes when I was playing the Sarmatians.

Why on Hard?
    When I saw the rebel stack attack my city, the campaign settings was vh/vh.

Rebels only attack like that on Hard or Very Hard campaign difficulty, is what I think he meant.

That is so cool!! I didn't know that

Is there maybe a way to remove those silly bonuses the AI get when playing on hard? Like a script or something?

Which bonuses? The money?

They get ridiculous money bonuses on Hard, right? At least, that's what I always thought...

Do you mean that it would be better if the AI behaved more aggressively, like on H/VH, but without the artificial cash bonus (I think it was 5000/10 000 respectively). I've been thinking the same for some time now, I like Hard difficulty, but the numerous stacks slow the campaign way to much.

On a side note, I suspect the AI gets a bonus for auto-resolve as well on H/VH. Can anyone confirm this?

yup, that's what I mean

Well, I can script around the money deficit, but I didn't realize the AI got an autoresolve bonus on H/M or VH/M. That's not cool.

I think it was posted in this forum as well. It is something like +3 attack +3 defense on Hard and +7 attack +7 defense on Very Hard. A.I. gets a lot of bonuses. Also on Hard the A.I. gets 5000 bonus cash and on Very Hard it jumps to 10000.

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

but make it optional to take away there bonuses or not, I like them having bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateinshowing View Post
    I think it was posted in this forum as well. It is something like +3 attack +3 defense on Hard and +7 attack +7 defense on Very Hard. A.I. gets a lot of bonuses. Also on Hard the A.I. gets 5000 bonus cash and on Very Hard it jumps to 10000.
    Right, those are the battle bonuses. I know about those, which is why I always advocate playing battles on Medium difficulty. What I didn't know, though, is that the AI gets a bonus to autoresolve on higher campaign difficulty as opposed to battle difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by decimator22 View Post
    but make it optional to take away there bonuses or not, I like them having bonuses.
    Definitely. We want people to have lots of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    Right, those are the battle bonuses. I know about those, which is why I always advocate playing battles on Medium difficulty. What I didn't know, though, is that the AI gets a bonus to autoresolve on higher campaign difficulty as opposed to battle difficulty.
    I hope I've not misled you, I said I suspected a bonus on higher campaign difficulties. I've only recently tried hard difficulty and I might be overreacting.

I do remember however, when reading about naval warfare in RTW on the forums, that ship battles counted as campaign decisions and it was implied that the AI gets a bonus on H and VH. I can't provide a link, though.

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post

I do remember however, when reading about naval warfare in RTW on the forums, that ship battles counted as campaign decisions and it was implied that the AI gets a bonus on H and VH. I can't provide a link, though.

Well the ships in VH/VH are like demons that don't die LOL

Interesting. I'll keep this in mind. If you do more playing at some point and gather more data, please let us know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast