Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions thread

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Icon1 Suggestions thread

Hello, I`ve been looking and didn`t see a thread with suggestions for the team.

So I saw fit to create one, where we can propose ideas for the team.

Well, for starters, what about making some rivers navigable? It`s well known that the vikings raided hundred of miles inland using their low keel longboats to reach cities well inside the european continent. It might be a good idea to make some mayor rivers navigable, such as the Thames, Trent or Severn by converting them to very narrow sea lanes with ladbriges in crossing points.

To illustrate, look at the Dniepr, Dniestr, Volga, Rhine, etc. rivers in the following map.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Suggestions thread

That sounds like a good idea to me (not my decision though ), however I don't know if it would look good on the map and it might make the AI ships build up and get trapped.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, unfortunately we have already finished the brainstorming period.
    The map you put up reminds me to the WoNM map. Our one is smaller.
    The navigable river problem is more complex. I really would like to solve this problem and I have not given it up but the cartographers always call it an insolvable problem.

For example:
    The Al will never use it. What will happen by the bridges? If the ship can go through a wading or ford but can not go through the bridge and a pedestrian blocks the ford what will happen with the ship? What happens if a ship blocks the ford? In this case can the pedestrian go through the ford? If I imporve the road-system and a ford becomes a bridge than what will happen on the map? I can remember things like this…..

If someone could solve this on the bigger rivers and especially by the washes I would be very happy.

I could help with cultural specified buildings. What kind of buildings could the celtic, normans or vikings have?

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    I could help with cultural specified buildings. What kind of buildings could the celtic, normans or vikings have?
    I suggested one for the saxons in the saxon buildings thread.

Another suggestion I was thinking is the devastation script for the vikings.

The vikings were known for raiding and pillaging. The best way the Total War engine represents this is by the devastation feature, on which the tile an army is standing (on the campaign map) starts to turn black, representing the burning of crops, the destruction of villages and the general loot that army makes in the area. The bigger the army, the greater the devastation.

So, why not making a script that gives a certain quantity of money to the viking player, when his viking army is on an enemy tile? As it happened historically. Regrettably, in RTW the size of the army couldn`t be a conditional for the amount of money that the script gave to the faction. Instead, it only counted how many generals were devastating the enemy tile per turn.

This is not a new idea, it`s already been made by the EB team for the Sweboz and Steppe Factions (Saka, Sauromatae). It would be good to see it on the 3 current Viking factions (the Danes and both Jarldoms).

What do you think?

EDIT: The script in EB was like this:

Code:
    monitor_event GeneralDevastatesTile FactionType Faction

console_command add_money Faction, Money

end_monitor
    I don`t know if the script language is the same on M2TW, but it can be done pretty easily. The question could be what amount of money do you want to give per devastating general.
    Last edited by k_raso; October 26, 2008 at 02:40 PM.

Kmotr's Avatar Laetus

to k_raso: That is great idea but you need to balanced it. You should decrease income (like you conquered enemy fort in Brittany camapign) for the faction you are plundering when your armies are at his land and also may be falling popularity.

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

If I recall correctly, the decreased income of the devastated tile is shown on the settlement detail scroll, in the income part.

You can mod the extent of the devastation in the descr_settlement_mechanics.xml file, and change this parameters:

Code:
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_DEVASTATION">
    <pip_modifier value="1.5"/>
    </factor>
    That number is the factor by which you loose money. Increasing it will increase the loss of income (I don`t know if that`s by the time the devastation lasts, of if it directly affects how much a devastated tile costs you).

Very cool, thanks for bringing those scripts to our attention.

Ok, guys, thanks for the ideas.
    The truth is the time for this hasn’t come yet. Now we are concentraiting on finishing the mod. We don’t want to make the basic moder mistake which means we want more and more and finally we won’t be able to finish.
    First we would like to solve everything simple and then in the next round we can handle the more difficult things.

Waiting for advices of the nation specific buildings...

Wow that is good , thanks mate for the script !! +rep
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

It is very useful what you wrote to me.
    Please, be a little patient, because I have a lot of things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by k_raso View Post
    If I recall correctly, the decreased income of the devastated tile is shown on the settlement detail scroll, in the income part.

You can mod the extent of the devastation in the descr_settlement_mechanics.xml file, and change this parameters:

Code:
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_DEVASTATION">
    <pip_modifier value="1.5"/>
    </factor>
    That number is the factor by which you loose money. Increasing it will increase the loss of income (I don`t know if that`s by the time the devastation lasts, of if it directly affects how much a devastated tile costs you).

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Now we are concentraiting on finishing the mod. We don’t want to make the basic moder mistake which means we want more and more and finally we won’t be able to finish.
    Those are words of wisdom. It`s a wise choice to learn from other`s example.

Waiting for advices of the nation specific buildings...
    In the meantime, I`ll try and find something about saxons.

ok, thanks mate!
    ... others factions are interesting also!

NobleStef80's Avatar Miles

Icon12 Re: Suggestions thread

Hi danova,

First of all,I would like to congratulate you for your exceptional work

I've been watching the progress of your mod for quite a while now,
    I entered your mod thread just for curiosity and I was completely impressed from the models
    But,when I saw in game those units,no offence,I was a bit disappointed

Like most of the mods,no matter how beautiful the units look,they don't have the sharpness in game like in the first post,for eg.
    I loved Broken Cressent,but I stopped playing it because no matter how I made the graphics to maximum the units didn't look like in the first post.

I like playing games with the graphics at MAXIMUM and I like to see details like in the first post,after all,why bother playing if the real battles don't look beautiful and detailed?

I don't know if you get my pointmy friend:hmmm:
    And I would like to make a suggestion,as the banners are concerned,please live the floating banners out try to make standard beariers like 2 at the side of the battalion in front of the captain and 1 with a larger main banner in the center at front,that would be more realistic and beautiful.
    But,it's up to you to decide,my friend,how you want your mod to look

Hope I gave you some good ideas

Regards,
    NobleStef80
    Last edited by NobleStef80; November 06, 2008 at 10:44 AM.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Can we please see the campaign map? More than w ehave already seen? Please!

I noticed that you will have two Norwegian factions, I think it would have been really cool if: When you played one them, you took out the other one, then Norway would belong to you right? (+ -) what if you then became the Kingdom of Norway, because the rival to the throne now was gone?

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    I noticed that you will have two Norwegian factions, I think it would have been really cool if: When you played one them, you took out the other one, then Norway would belong to you right? (+ -) what if you then became the Kingdom of Norway, because the rival to the throne now was gone?
    That has already been suggested.

By using the Kalmar union script, you can achieve unification of different factions, given a set of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmotr
    It could be used for Ireland, one for England when Normans conquered Brittany (exept Wales and Scotland) and then when one of saxon kingdoms counquerd all regions of Brittany (exept Wales and Scotland) or make them vassal. It could be something like "Great Saxon Kingdom". And may be also something for vikings.
    Quote Originally Posted by k_raso
    Yeah, historically it may certainly be used for Viking factions. For example, take what happened when Knut the Great unified most of England, Denmark and Norway, and parts of Sweden during 1014 onward. Also, Sweyn I Forkbeard from 985 onward (England, parts of Norway and Denmark), Harald Bluetooth (Norway and Denmark 958 onward) and so on... history shows examples aplenty about the ambition of different nordic rulers to unite skandinavia and england into one political entity.

The thing is about the triggers. Killing all family members of the rival viking faction may be good, or killing just the enemy king together with ownership of some provinces may also be fine, just like in the teutonic campaign.
    That certainly can be used to unify both of Norway jarldoms and denmark.

Cheers!
    Last edited by k_raso; November 06, 2008 at 09:59 AM.

Really cool! Can't wait!

About the waiting? When do you think the mod will be released?

k_raso's Avatar Biarchus

Dunno. Soon, I hope . Just be patient.

I will..

( I will means "try to")

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast