Thread: Gimp

Default Gimp

I have been reading an article on creating a map. But it seems i need a programme called Gimp to work on the map i downloaded. Where can i find Gimp Thanks

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Gimp

The Gimp is an open source image manipulation application, similar in capability to Photoshop and Paintshop Pro.

It can be found at http://www.gimp.org/

Be warned that there is a long and steep learning curve before you can use the full power of the GIMP.

In the meantime, MS Paint will probably do a lot of what you need, even though it is fairly limited.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Custom User Title
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Be warned that there is a long and steep learning curve before you can use the full power of the GIMP.
    The 'learning wall', that many run into (and subsequently hate the program..). There are some UI adjustments, like GIMPShop, that can make the process as easy as possible - particularly if you are familiar with Photoshop.
    I'm climbing the wall with blender at the moment - it seems to be a fairly common thing with open source software.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Yes, but don't let that deter you. Some patience and doggedness will save you, and GIMP is an amazing tool.

Moving to the General area.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

For mapping the learning curve isn't too steep, the functions needed are similar to what can be found on ms paint. Just remember to use the pen, never the brush.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

DDS: It appears your image may be a volume map,
    but not all layers are the same size, thus a volume
    map cannot be written.

Error opening C:\Documents and Settings\USER\TWC\Material\en_lmail_hmail_template2.dds

Saving: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\TWC\Material\en_lmail_hmail_template2.dds' failed:

DDS image plug-in could not save image

why does this happen??

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Senator

haave you installed the dds plugin? have you delete the all the layers except the main one? have you done the right compression and have you ticked the generate mini-maps box?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex-ander View Post
    I have been reading an article on creating a map. But it seems i need a programme called Gimp to work on the map i downloaded. Where can i find Gimp Thanks
    Where that my tutorial on mapping with Gimp? you can use both photoshop and paint.net or any other program that uses layers.