Thread: Unit speed...

Default Unit speed...

Ok, just played my first battle near Jerusalem and on the battle map my units seems to be walking at snails pace.

Is there any way to put the unit movement speed back to normal, as one of the things I really love about this game is seing my massive armies walk at a quickened pace.

Please tell me how to edit relevant files.

GTG.... New computer here...
    If deception is an art, then the world is full of artists!
    Trust No One!

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Default Re: Unit speed...

There are two ways I know of to approach this.

1. Edit descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt and increase all the values.

2. Edit export_descr_unit.txt and give each unit a move_speed_mod value.

Example:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    type             Hobilars
    dictionary       Hobilars      ; Hobilars
    category         cavalry
    class            light
    voice_type       Light
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade_cavalry
    soldier          Hobilars, 32, 0, 1
    mount            pony
    mount_effect     elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge
    move_speed_mod	 1.30

The first method will increase movement for all units on battle map to some extent. The second allows finer control of movement speeds for individual units.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Hi there,thanks for the reply, not been able to get back on until just now because of setting up my new computer last night. Therefore not had chance to look at what you suggested.

I think what Im looking for might be in the descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt you mentioned. Can you give me any ideas as to what exactly I need to be editing, the file is slightly odd.

Thanks for any further help you can give me.
    Trust No One!

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Well, the numeric values are multipliers of base speed. So, for example

Code:
    grass_short		0.9
    would mean that a unit moves 90% of its base speed while in short grass.

So, in theory, changing that to

Code:
    grass_short		1.2
    would mean that a unit now moves 120% of its base speed while in short grass.

So, again in theory, doubling all the numbers would double all unit movement speeds on the battle map.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Ok m8, Ill go give that I try, im going to compare it to the original file to see what that tells me. I'll post back here soon. Thank you for your help.
    Trust No One!

Ok sorted, was looking at the wrong file for some reason. Anyways, speed has been edited back to normal by editing descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt. Thanks.
    Trust No One!

As I've just announced in the feedback thread. I am going to revert back to the vanilla unit movement settings. So I will now close this thread.

Dave