Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merge?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Merge?

Hello RB team!

Gaio Giulio Patrizio sent pm to me this morning talking about merge of our mods. I'd be happy to merge my mod with others', since I'm an one-man team and don't really have much time to do all the things I intend to do. However, the problem is that my mod is developed to work with RTW-Alexander since I began to reskin existing factions - and it already exceeds the hardcode DMB limit in RTW and RTW-BI (280 now). The number could be reduced by merging models, but I don't think 255 could ever be reached, because the final version is estimated to use 330-350 models.

How do you guys think of this? BTW since RB is also RTR-based, you can always add most of my units you want into it - though some use elements from other modders and you'd also need their permission. Here is the my latest snapshot
    ________
    BrunetteLisa
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 09:18 AM.

Default Re: Merge?

the alexander limitation is for me very restrictive .Anyway my idea as i have told you in my new pm was to adapt your work to fit the units in our mod,in order that we can play with them also in rtw vanilla.it would not be that hard i think.Let me know what you think about it .

Anyway i appreciate very much your offer for the models.You will be sure credited

ps:some of your great texturecan't be used also because we don't have boshorians
    Last edited by Gaio Giulio Patrizio; October 20, 2008 at 07:06 AM.
    Rome:Total War:Res Bellicae Proud team leader

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Gaio Giulio Patrizio View Post
    the alexander limitation is for me very restrictive .Anyway my idea as i have told you in my new pm was to adapt your work to fit the units in our mod,in order that we can play with them also in rtw vanilla.it would not be that hard i think.Let me know what you think about it .
    Yes I know about shared models. But it's not easy for a RTR6-based mod I think. The 3 parts of my DMB are:
    1. RTR's original models. They're not optimized for minimum DMB entries. There are many similar models such as Gauls Swordsmen and AOR Gauls Swordsmen, and "plugged" models like german and sarmatian units, which are incompatible with all others. It'd be take a lot of time to merge them.
    2. My own models: they're made to be unique originally. I didn't use shared models for them until very recently - and even shared ones usually have only 2 skins (AOR and non-AOR)
    3. 3rd-party models like godzilla & fesses' modding legion pack, and Halie's carthaginian units. The models would need a lot of adjustments to fit with other skins.

The problem is also worsened by some animations that require special weapon positioning, and the realistic unit heights I made for next vesion.

Frankly speaking, the only mod I have seen with optimized DMB is EB, with each of models being used by 5-20 skins. And its AOR units use faction-specific skins rather than mercenarieslike in RTR. IMHO it would require a very good design from the beginning, something that I don't have time to do.
    ________
    BeautyBeatrice
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 09:19 AM.

we arenot using RTR models at all.We are remaking them from scretch.in the case some of the models use similar skins only if they have similar weapons(like for instamnce gallic and spain swordsmen).We are pointing that way very much.It won't be impossible.It's easy instead (take a model done in a particular way and skin it differently using alpha channel to remove bad parts)The only real things that are really necessary in themodel are same helmets and weapons

Aqd:our skinner Matteucci has told this to me He really likes your skins.So he proposed this way.He will do the model(high poly) and you would do the skins for them as he can't do both very fastly.this way you will skin and he will model,saving lots of time to both us.What do you say?

Togheter you and Mat would be just umbeatable.And i have already done a separation for the remaining models so it would also be easy to do sharing of the models

here a pic

Last edited by Gaio Giulio Patrizio; October 20, 2008 at 08:44 AM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

@Gaio Giulio Patrizio: Well, it's common but rather weird approach to me as I always do skinning and modeling together (which is why my models are often non-reusable ) But I think first of all we should examine if it's really doable to add the units I have designed into your mod, and then to check if the two mods have incompatible things to resolve. Only after that we could discuss about cooperations.
    ________
    Silversurfer reviews
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 09:19 AM.

just send a pm to me with your msn and we will discuss it real time

As a member of the community who is following this mod, I think that a merger is a great idea as long as its assured that the game will be BI-compatible, and *not* Alexander, since I do not have Alexander.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    As a member of the community who is following this mod, I think that a merger is a great idea as long as its assured that the game will be BI-compatible, and *not* Alexander, since I do not have Alexander.
    I know many people dont have alexander, but currently my mod has too many models that it cannot run on anywhere else
    ________
    Vaporizers
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Well, we can type 'lol' and use laughing smileys all we want, but models or not its all a moot point if no one plays it.

I would strongly suggest you cut down on models. My two cents.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Well, we can type 'lol' and use laughing smileys all we want, but models or not its all a moot point if no one plays it.

If the our mods merge, then of course I'll cut down the models One thing for sure is that RB will always work with RTW and BI. But personally I don't care how many people would play my mod - I'm just trying to make it perfect
    ________
    Laguna Bay II Condominium Prathumnak
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 09:23 AM.

everyone has its own ideas.

Nice pictures guys.
    **ROMA SURRECTUM 2.0 RULES**

Just because you do not have alexander dosent mean you have to prevent them to make the best mod they can possibly make, go out and buy alexander if ur so desperate to play this mod, dont cripple the mod....the more models the cooler the mod.

the merge would be cool guys, as long as you think that it will improve the mod

RS Beta Tester - Rome

aqd has rejected the merge.it will go on with his mod

So your merger cannot proceed. maybe to try it with another mod.

uhm maybe yes

Don't let your project be stalled by some minor problems, just go for it because the idea is beautiful.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Yeah, and you guys can still use everything from my unreleased mod if you want to

Good luck!
    ________
    GLASS BONG
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 09:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast