Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Abortion [Beren Erchamion vs Shyam Popat] Commentary Thread

Senno's Avatar C'est la Vie.
    Civitate

Default Abortion [Beren Erchamion vs Shyam Popat] Commentary Thread

Please post comments on the above titled debate here.

Link to Debate Thread.
    Last edited by Senno; November 14, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Abortion [Beren Erchamion vs Shayam Popet] Commentary Thread

wrong thread.

Default Re: Abortion [Beren Erchamion vs Shayam Popet] Commentary Thread

bren is GOING DOWN!!
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

Civitate

Default Re: Abortion [Beren Erchamion vs Shayam Popat] Commentary Thread

As soon as I saw the "All men are created equal" segment, I face palmed myself.

It never ceases to amaze me how this subject continues to be held hostage by the extremes on either end. Weather it's ideological zealousness in the placement of values on the definition of 'life' or the self-prevalent individualism which would rather ignore certain scientific realities and virtue ethics.

I am interested to see where they end up and if it will lead to a compromise. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

Civitate

It's sad to see in the worlds greatest and only remaining super power and self proclaimed perfect democracy Abortion is a political issue which changes massive amounts of votes.

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Bren is using horrible amounts of eviquivocation, i.e he's taking the biological definition of life, and then transferring it across to arguments which if properly conducted use the ethical definition. This is not acceptable, and Shyam should call him on it.

André Masséna's Avatar Vicarius

It's sad to see in the worlds greatest and only remaining super power and self proclaimed perfect democracy Abortion is a political issue which changes massive amounts of votes.
    I agree, why can't we all be pro-life?
    America is an Apple pie
    with a few bad apples
    right toward the top.

Quote Originally Posted by André Masséna View Post
    I guess some of us prefer for people to be able to have a choice rather than deferring our rights to right-wingers and religious nuts.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Civitate

Or perhaps, it shouldn't be a political issue, but a medical one? Let the doctors and patients decide.

Or perhaps, it shouldn't be a political issue, but a medical one? Let the doctors and patients decide.
    Agreed. But let's take it a step further. Let us abort those who aren't going to be good Aryan baby's. They will, after all inconvenience us.
    America is an Apple pie
    with a few bad apples
    right toward the top.

Civitate

Agreed. But let's take it a step further. Let us abort those who aren't going to be good Aryan baby's. They will, after all inconvenience us.
    Why would I take it to that step? Is this a pathetic attempt to invoke Godwin's Law? You already know I am against abortion [with a couple of details]...I just don't think it should be a political issue.

You're right. We are silly fools for wanting to stop murder. Our views are obviously fascist.

Why on earth would we want to stop it politically?
    America is an Apple pie
    with a few bad apples
    right toward the top.

Civitate

You're right. We are silly fools for wanting to stop murder. Our views are obviously fascist.

Too much sarcasm, I fail to differentiate between the sarcasm and the seriousness. I'll tell you anyway. I personally am opposed to abortion, however I understand the concerns and the 'other side's' argument, so the compromise and common ground logically, would be;

No after 10 weeks, as that's when the little heart starts beating and life starts. Before that he is potential life, like the gametes and zygotes, not yet true life. We must choose the lesser of two evils. A life is worth more.

Because there are far more important things to be talked about on a political level then abortion? How about the bail out, for example? Or the fact that America is trillions of dollars in debt? Notice that both the canidates seem to shy away from these issues, and talk about less important problems such as abortion. Why don't you start caring about something really important for the welfare of America instead of closing your minds to it and rant about abortion, when you should be worried about the economy. Honestly, abortion is a minor issue compared to our economy. Yet none of the canidates have done much to address the economy. Instead, they have been debating about relatively unimportant topics like abortion. Honestly, get your priorities right. Abortion does not need politics. It is the decision of the family. The politicans should actually start caring about important things.

As for abortion, I'm against it morally, but I can see little alternative. Those that have abortions are usually pregnant teens who have no idea to raise a kid, and definetly no rescources to do so. It seems more logical to abort the kid, then have a child when you are ready for one, then to have it now and have it grow up to be uncared for.
    Sons of Queen Dido, Warriors of Libye (EB AAR)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237765

A Carthagian AAR about the life of a Libyan Phoenician soldier in the army of Carthage, giving his own account and personal opinions of the battles and conquests Carthage undertakes.

I just know the epicness will blow your minds!!

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Beren is putting up a pathetic performance, as anyone can see.

The Hat does it once again.

All hail Popat the goddamn Hat.
    Team Member <3

Ultra_Magnus's Avatar Semisalis

Abortion is a highly personal matter, It shouldn't be politicised. For example would it be wrong for a rape victim to be banned from an abortion or the 12 year old who didn't know what she was doing and got pregnant?

Politicains are just using this as sensational material to get votes from a certain group of people.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Magnus View Post
    For example would it be wrong for a rape victim to be banned from an abortion or the 12 year old who didn't know what she was doing and got pregnant?
    Sarah Palin: "Yes."

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Magnus View Post
    Abortion is a highly personal matter, It shouldn't be politicised. For example would it be wrong for a rape victim to be banned from an abortion or the 12 year old who didn't know what she was doing and got pregnant?

Politicains are just using this as sensational material to get votes from a certain group of people.
    Well, in either case, both of those represent deep-seated social problems that don't have an easy answer, but rather require a massive undertaking by both society and the government to fix.

I don't agree with abortion, but I recognize the fact that some view it as being necessary. Although, I did find an article in time magazine that listed in a poll of people that had abortions that only 1.5% got abortions because of rape and/or incest, with 70-80% saying that it would dramatically change there life (the people could vote for multiple options in the poll). I'll see if I can find it on das internetz.

EDIT: Found it, but they don't have the poll online that was published in the magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...0444-1,00.html
    Last edited by cfmonkey45; October 18, 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Ultra_Magnus's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ЯoMe kb8 View Post
    Sarah Palin: "Yes."

And to me that is a scary prospect. Im sure if she was ever in that situation her views might change slightly

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45
    Well, in either case, both of those represent deep-seated social problems that don't have an easy answer, but rather require a massive undertaking by both society and the government to fix.

I don't agree with abortion, but I recognize the fact that some view it as being necessary. Although, I did find an article in time magazine that listed in a poll of people that had abortions that only 1.5% got abortions because of rape and/or incest, with 70-80% saying that it would dramatically change there life (the people could vote for multiple options in the poll). I'll see if I can find it on das internetz.

EDIT: Found it, but they don't have the poll online that was published in the magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...0444-1,00.html
    This seems like a really good and worthwhile institute but the sad fact is that many women don't have acess to such facilities. And yes i agree it is a social problem but it happens sad fact and will continue to happen.

BTW my stand on abortion is that it is the extreme last alternative. I worry if abortion will become a "designer" thing and people view it as a contraceptive. If you want to have sex there are tonnes of other contraceptives available. but to ban it outright is just irresponsible. And it shouldn't be one of the main political policies that infulence thousands of people.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast