Thread: how do you promote to legate?

Default how do you promote to legate?

hi

i m playing the metro nav mod 1.9 and my roman character is now eligible to be promoted to legate after ten years service - but how do i do this? do i have to move an ancillary to his character sheet or something?

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Default Re: how do you promote to legate?

Quote Originally Posted by phoebusapollon View Post
    hi

i m playing the metro nav mod 1.9 and my roman character is now eligible to be promoted to legate after ten years service - but how do i do this? do i have to move an ancillary to his character sheet or something?
    Once your character is a former tribune, with 10 years military service, he is eligible to become a legate. Make sure he has at least 1 ancillary spot free so he can receive the legion ancillary. Leave him outside a city for a turn, in command of an army with at least 2 infantry units (so being in an army but with someone else in command doesn't count). The nest turn, he will be a legate with an additional legion ancillary. He will retain the legate trait until you leave him in a city for 2 consecutive turns, or when he's not been in command of an army with at least 2 infantry units for 2 consecutive turns.

thanks pannonian

i have another character who just refuses to get promoted to praetor - i cant think why as he has fulfilled all the qualifications - any suggestions?

Eat Meat Whale Meat

thanks pannonian

i have another character who just refuses to get promoted to praetor - i cant think why as he has fulfilled all the qualifications - any suggestions?
    Once a character has at least 20 years military experience, and is a former legate (see above), he is eligible to become a general, assuming you have enough provinces to support another. Make sure he has at least 1 ancillary slot free. Once the character is a former legate, put him in command of an army with at least 2 infantry units in, as per the requirements for legate. He will acquire a Field Army ancillary, and will have the General trait. However, if you don't have enough provinces to support another legion or field army, your character won't be promoted. See the readme for details of the provinces to armies ratio.

thanks pannonian

i think its because i didnt have enough provinces -

what about becoming consul - i have two characters who have now done 25 yrs service and both of them have had a go at being gov of latium -

is there something specific that they need to do or achieve before becoming consul or is it just a matter of luck?

Eat Meat Whale Meat

what about becoming consul - i have two characters who have now done 25 yrs service and both of them have had a go at being gov of latium -

is there something specific that they need to do or achieve before becoming consul or is it just a matter of luck?
    Same process as legate and general, 23 years, at least 1 ancillary slot free, and there may be some other requirements. Unlike legate and general, I've not reliably promoted consuls, so I don't know how it works exactly. My advice would be to look in EDCT and EDA and try and work it out from the entries.

thanks pannonian -

just to try it out i reloaded a new game and ended a few turns - Quintus starts off with 25 years and is stacked with five infantry units and becomes consul on the second turn - so im guessing that once you have the twenty five years and are in the field with an army you automatically become a consul -

im going to check this out in my game and see if it works -

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

one thing to remember is that you don't get the new ancilliary if you don't get rid of the old one (IIRC) so to become a Praetor, you need to get rid of the legions banner.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

What in fact does that mean "X years of service"?
    Does it mean that these guys MUST spend all their lives outside cities, only commanding field troops? Or should they stay in one place for no more than 1 turn? (I mean "stay for 1 turn" counts as 1 FULL turn, only if both started and ended inside the city; when a guy enters a city or exits it, it does NOT count as a Turn inside the city, right?)

the military service counter increases as long as the character has the trait "Tribune", "Legate" or "General (Praetor)". You lose these traits when staying in a city for over 2 or 3 turns (a full season).

Have you ever been promoted to consul by the leadership-system?
    I never got a promotion to Consul_General by "normal" ways - only if a faction leader or his heir dies a new consul is appointed by inheritance...

Is it the promotion to General or the Field Army banner that is limited by the number of provinces? I always forget that...
    ~Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
    No spamming since 63 BC

I get a warm feeling when I get another legate.
    "If we didn't have cruxifixion, this country'd be in a right bloody mess"

I can't seem to get a Legate...my generals have X years of service, a full stack, and 6 ancillaries. What am I missing?
    [/U]

I have a question, how do I get rid of a Legion banner, the way I have been doing it is by giving it to another person who is not a tribune or is ex tribune or what ever. It would be better if I can delete it.

oK this is the way to upgrade your men.

For family members:

When you have a son coming of age at 16, he must stay in a city in till he is 20 years old. 16-20 (student)

When you have a person who is 20, attach him to a legion or just give him 2 units for he can upgrade. Note you can keep this guy in a base so he can spend time in the military. Your son should serve 10 years of military service, this pretty much means when he is 30. When he hits the "Service - X" then that means put him in a city, and wait a few turns intill he gets "ex-tribune". When he gets that then you field him back out side to his 2 units or a legion.

Wait another turn and you should see he is a lagatus, and should have a banner.