Thread: The "SatAM" Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon... Peppered with plotholes?

Default The "SatAM" Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon... Peppered with plotholes?

To me, this seemed so ridiculous that I just had to share it...

Well, I watched a few of the episodes of the the "Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon by DiC (commonly referred to as "SatAM" to distinguish from other Sonic related media of the same name) on YouTube a while back and is it just me, or is it absolutely peppered with plot holes? Sure, we've all noticed glaring plot holes in our TV shows before, but this is just beyond a joke, especially when you consider that all of these plot holes have cropped up only in the first six episodes (those being the only ones I've watched)...

I'm not going to give a blow by blow description, but here are the plot hole highlights...

On at least three occasions (In three separate episodes), something fairly significant happened, which was then promtly forgotten about by the next episode. These include the loss of a character (he was minor, admittedly, but it would have been nice if we had found out what became of him), the location and securing of powerful magic scrolls, and the construction of an electricity generating water wheel...

So much for continuity...

What about this?... The good guys, when they attempt sabotage of the bad guy's equipment, have insisted, on more than one occasion, in bringing a strategically useless coward (with a lame outfit, a lamer French accent and a still lamer hair do) along for the ride.

Real world reason: Comic relief.

In-cartoon reason: ???

On that same note, oh... now you could fly a starship through this one... the good guys disable the bad guy's power system, leaving him in a significantly weakened state, and fail to press their advantage. Instead they celebrate around a campfire... Umm, hello? Wouldn't now (the end of episode six) be a great time to strike and maybe do some real damage? It's not like the bad guy's robots (which admittedly were probably still active) ever hit anything...

Which brings me to my next point, the robots never hit anything. Thus far, throughout the course of 6 20 minute episodes (that's two hours worth of running time), the bad guy's robots have hit precisely once, out of dozens of shots fired... and it was a shockingly ineffective and off target hit at that... They were trying to strike the characters, but instead hit and damaged the vehicle they were riding on, which they were about to abandon anyway... And get this, the robots have, on several occasions, entirely missed stationary characters.

Yes folks, they somehow miss enemies who are standing completely still!

They're rather ineffective in other ways as well... they can't seem to detect the characters through thin steel piping, and you'd think they'd be able to distinguish a living thing's heat signature from the heat signature given off by a near by power station, wouldn't you? Their path finding is also worse than that in most modern day video games... On two separate occasions, the main character went up and over a wall (once flying and once on foot), which the hovering armored car style units behind him promptly slammed in to, rather than stopping or increasing their altitude...

Overall, they seem to be to be about as effective as an untrained man with a pistol and a torch, and significantly less effective than a trained guard with a pistol and a torch. Sure they have advantages over the living guard in the lack of bodily functions, the lack of a requirement to periodically reload their weapons, and the near-silent flight capacities of the hover units (a far cry from our noisy ground-bound vehicles or helicopters), but the inescapable bottom line is that if the bad guy had been using trained, living guards, instead of his robots, the good guys would have been defeated long ago...

I know I sound like one of those nit picking types... and the above probably counts as such, but the sheer number and obviousness of the plot holes were, in my opinion, too astounding not to share... But what do you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_t...hog_(TV_series)

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: The "SatAM" Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon... Peppered with plotholes?

Is this a joke thread?

it's so hard to tell sometimes.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince