Thread: Dead Space

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Default Dead Space

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/england/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]I'm writing an early review, a la NaptownKnight's early Mass Effect Review.
    Make sure to check out the website for tons of back story and build-up, including short video comics and in-game videos.

Playing on an XBOX 360, also available on PS3 though.
    Sci-Fi Survival Horror...hell yeah!

Story
    You play as Isaac Clarke, an engineer that is part of a search and rescue crew sent to recover and repair the USG Ishimura, a rather large space ship used for "planet cracking" or mining.

Gameplay
    Dead Space is a third person shooter similar to Gears of War, with the ability to aim your weapon with the left trigger and fire with the right. There are also a couple melee moves including a good ole stomp.
    One of the first things that surprised me was the absence of a HUD. No health meter, no ammo counter, no mini map?! The makers of the game found a creative way around it by using holographic images/video and status indicators on the suit Isaac wears. This small feature adds a lot more screen space to your display and a lot more visual "ambiance". Without the option to see when enemies are coming and not knowing where you're running when something is chasing you makes for a harrowing few moments.
    Isaac himself moves kind of slow, kind of like a regular guy wearing a big heavy suit.
    The weapons themselves aren't actually guns, they are mining tools, mineral cutters and energy weapons. They fire like guns but there is no repeating action so you have to be accurate.
    There is also a time slowing element called a "stasis field" which slows down whatever it hits when you fire it. These can be used to solve puzzles and slow down your enemies.
    Your weapons, suit and stasis are all upgradeable, giving you choices on how you would like to customize your items.
    All in all, the gameplay works very well for what it's suited for. You certainly don't feel like Master Chief, jumping everywhere and beating people to death. But I think this adds to the mayhem, like in your worst dreams when you're running away from something and it feels like you've got sand for feet.

Audio/Video
    The ambient sounds in this game are unreal; sounds of your enemy's footsteps in the distance, dripping water, the echoes, the lonely sound of your own footsteps...it's all very creepy and very well done.
    Regarding the graphics, I'm playing on a 46" 1080p Plasma.
    The graphics are also very well done, the USG Ishimura has all the trappings of a Hollywood backed set with the subtleties of an Aliens-esque atmosphere, of a battle that was lost...

Final Thoughts
    If you like a great (and not too badly written) Sci-Fi Survival Horror game, get this one. It's a really good looking game with some (so far) memorable moments and new ideas...it's also pretty good in the horror category.

I'm going to seem like a total fanboy but...

Story 10/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Audio 10/10
    Overall 39/40

Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Dead Space - An Early Review

Ok the graphics are good, but i think the game on the whole is boring its jsut the same thing, wander around, turn round everynow and again cause an 8 limbed space mutant will try ambushing you.

So then you will dismember its every limb inculding head and it stills lives lol and every gun is pretty much the same gun and does the same thing except for the flamethrower.

Bioshock > Dead Space

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Bioshock isn't the same kind of game as Dead Space, so it's a bit unfair to compare the two.

It's like comparing Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune to, say, Duke Nukem.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Hell, so I guess I should really get this game...

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes, this should be the game of the year. Complete suprise from EA.