Thread: Terra Expugnandae AAR Library

Icon1 Terra Expugnandae AAR Library

Terra Expugnandae AAR Library

Republic of Rome - an AAR
    Author: Lusted
    Description: A relatively short, but interesting report about the start of a Roman campaign, written by the maker himself. Includes campaign and battle screenshots as well.

Imperial Roman Campaign - Battle of Tripolatinia - 205BC
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...litania-205-BC)
    Author: Gaius Baltar
    Description: A short battle report of an epic struggle between Roman and Egyptian forces in the desert south of Tripolatinia. Possibly one of the finest battle reports ever written.

Terrae_Expugnandae_5.0 Campaign Report (also available here)
    Author: Gaius Baltar
    Description: The longest and most comprehensive TE AAR ever written. The pictures are now unfortunately missing, but the laconic text (almost written like a general's diary) makes it a gripping read in itself.

Republic of Rome
    Author: Hader
    Description: A great overview about the start of a Roman campaign; including battle screenshots as well.

Thracian AAR and Strategy guide
    Author: Hader
    Description: A short Thracian AAR which also serves as an useful Strategy guide, as the title says.

Stories from the Front
    Author: various (mostly Hader and therussian)
    Description: Battle and campaign reports from various campaigns, including battle screenshots.

How's your campaign going
    Author: various (mostly Gaius Baltar)
    Description: Battle and campaign reports from various campaigns, including battle screenshots.

Rome succession game.
    Author: various (mostly joorik and Hells Bells)
    Description: A hotseat game and joint AAR with the Roman faction.

The Thracian Rising
    Author: CynicalMagician
    Description: A detailed report of a Thracian campaign until turn 30. Includes campaign screenshots.

The Blitz of the Epirotes
    Author: CynicalMagician
    Description: An overview of the Epirot blitzkrieg campaign, conquering the most of Italy, Greece and Asia minor.

My Brilliant Defeat!!!
    Author: therussian
    Description: A thrilling report of a Macedonia vs. Rome batle.

The Story of Epirus- the Forging of a Kingdom
    Author: Tweety
    Description: Pyrrhus’s story told in an elegant, literary style. Broken after first post.

Fight to Survive: A Thracian AAR
    Author: Deathbypepsi
    Description: Introduction to a Thracian campaign, aborted after first post.

Basileus of Baktria
    Author: Kylan271
    Description: Baktrian campaign overview with role-playing.
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; April 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Good Job

Default Re: Terra Expugnandae AAR Library

Found some new related threads.
    Added descriptions.
    Re-arranged order.
    OP updated.

I think I've found them all, but if you accidentally stumble upon any TE AAR thread that isn't included in this list, feel free to post it here or PM me.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Oh wow,thanks for this. Cool. I am considering a proper Baktria campaign aar,without modifiying it(I added 100,000 to each faction)to play game quicker..I am getting married in few months so worry no time for gaming..aghhhh. Oh just a doozy tot he campaign tactics..I bought Antioch on turn 2 for 20,000ish and set up campaigns to the west and east and wiped out most of Selucid area and 3 Wonders captured by 550. Only gripe is Armenia and Egypt attack also(h/vh) settings. But,just a thought,sometimes you can 'buy' rather than attack a city you may need(wonder or pop level or location)in your start up,even if far away. For me I gained a mediteranean shipping access. My current campaign without buying antioch is in screenshot.. I was down to little money(5000),but after farms and trade upgrades and buy maps(500-1000 each time)as opposed to military I have too much money now..^_+ on h/vh setting. I used a spy to upset the Selucid take over off Pura,and it rebelled and became Armenian,meaning war,which is a nice trick to have Armenia as problem to them. My leader is 81..!!! Indian armies are darn pains...take a lot of turns to build up armies and travel to fight them!!!

I am not sure how to do an AAR correctly..how can I do one for say Baktria? I did one,but my first foray and I am not sure what to write or show? I will have to update and edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    I am not sure how to do an AAR correctly..how can I do one for say Baktria? I did one,but my first foray and I am not sure what to write or show? I will have to update and edit it.
    Welcome, Kylan.

You might find this AAR FAQ useful.

How do I start an AAR?
    Read some other AARs before you have a smack at your own story.

Where do I find some selected AARs?
    Click any of the following links:
    AARs selected by the Scriptorium
    Tweety's Library
    Ludens' Library

Can you give me some basic tips?
    • Play a few turns in advance.
    • Make notes during gameplay.
    • Get FRAPS to make screenshots.
    • You don't have to do much editing with you screenies, but at least crop them.
    • Get some basic screenshots tips as well.
    • Upload the edited images to www.photobucket.com which seems to be the only reliable image uploading site.
    • Even if you don't have any screenshots of your campaign, you might consider finding some related pictures (Google images is perfect for this), and inserting them to spice up the story.
    • Try to use an unique font style and font colour to make the AAR much more eye-appealing.
    • Find a good balance between texts and pictures.
    • Create an interesting narrative, that is worth reading.
    • Focus on a few characters. There are excellent AARs based on just one character.
    • Describe the characters in action.
    • Do regular updates.
    • Involve your readers.
    • Entertain your audience.
    • Advertise your AAR in your sig.
    Can you give me some advanced tips?
    Post your specific questions here, and also visit the following threads:
    How does one AAR? (recommended article)
    AAR's - Tips and Notes
    How to start an AAR
    Writing-related links
    AARtist Social Group Discussion Board - this thread is also a regular meeting place for AAR writers
    As for the Baktra campaign, I can't give you any specific advise, as I don't know the TE Baktria faction, but it is a perfect choice for an AAR.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; October 13, 2008 at 03:49 AM.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

It is not advice on any faction play,but how to write an AAR,as I am a newbie in this area. I was adviced to try TE 5 with patch(to RTW data folder),but even though I download OK,there is only ROME TW when I play,no TE shortcut or anything??? I have only TE GOLD,but moved that directory out to another area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    It is not advice on any faction play,but how to write an AAR,as I am a newbie in this area.
    Read my post above and check out the links given there.
    If you have any specific questions, ask them here or in the FAQ thread.
    My best advise for newbies is to read other AARs, play a few turns in advance, make screenshots and some notes during gameplay. Once you've got this material, just put it together in a post, the rest will follow. Don't be afraid to write anything that comes to your mind, there are no strict rules in this genre.
    Imagine as if you would re-enact history to see the world through the eyes of your characters.

Can we move the AAR threads to the united forum, GB, what do you think?
    Or should I ask the permission of the authors one by one?
    Whatever is cool with you.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

I say go ahead and move them, most are months if not years old and they might get a new life in the United AAR forums.

Whats a Powdered Gizzard? A rock band?

Quote Originally Posted by PowderedGizzard View Post
    Can we move the AAR threads to the united forum, GB, what do you think?
    Or should I ask the permission of the authors one by one?
    Whatever is cool with you.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Icon1 Re: Terra Expugnandae AAR Library

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    I say go ahead and move them, most are months if not years old and they might get a new life in the United AAR forums.
    Okay, I'll PM Aradan to move them and thanks for the permission.

edit: threads moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Baltar View Post
    Whats a Powdered Gizzard? A rock band?
    It's a very dangerous animal that slowly but steadily poisons TWC with creative juices.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; October 31, 2008 at 07:32 PM.