Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helios 31.5: Garbarsardar's Garble

Default Helios 31.5: Garbarsardar's Garble

Good afternoon! Today we have a special edition of the Helios for you; an interview with the new site owner, Mr. G. Barsardar, or Garb to his friends (i.e., not us ). Elrond got down and dirty with the TWCenturion, so I'll hand you over promptly...

Garbarsardar: An interview

1) Tell us a bit about your self

I am Greek, married to a malaypolynesian girl, I teach Clinical Psychopharmacology in a Taiwanese University and I don't read and cook as much as I would like to. My favourite movie is Der müde Tod by Fritz Lang and I wish I was driving a Citroen DS.

2) When and why did you join TWC?

I had no idea about the game. I was searching for some information on Rome and I found TWC. At the time (spring 2005) there was a petition towards CA by Spartan (the Administrator) about the save/load bug and other issues. That drew my attention first because I sensed that there is a community here and not simply another fanboyistic website. Then I bought R:TW...

3) What is your favourite forum within TWC?

Different forums at different times. Apart from the modding fora that changed depending on the mod I was trying, once it was the Symposium. People don't understand that anymore but it was actually an honour to post there. Later VV and the 'pit.

4) When did you first join the staff?

May 1st 2006. I was "hired" by Archer (HorserArcher) the then Admin.

5) Why did you buy TWC?

Well, it's a long story. I had some part in the acquisition of the site by Ian. The initial idea was that a group of people could contribute money and buy the site from ON . Amongst them, Ian, Sim, Seneca, Mimirswell, professor420,Tac, Lusted and others. Things evolved too fast and at the critical moment the only one who had the money and the opportunity (and the guts, I might add) to do it was Ian. Since then Ian and the Hex did a tremendous job and I believe that they upheld the principles of the original plan:openness and accountability. 6 months ago Ian felt stressed and tired by his role and was thinking about selling TWC. I bought so it does not change. With that purpose and this promise to Ian and Hex and now in public to all of you. My main fear is that TWC would be bought by someone not sharing Ian's and the Hex's principles. That is the plain truth.

6) How long do you think you will own it for?

As long as I am able to perform my task. If I ever sell it it will be again to "one of us". And by that I mean any Hex member of the past year or so.

7) Why was your ownership kept secret for 6 months?

Because I was not ready either mentally or practically to assume the role of the owner and because the best person for this role could still be at the helm. If Ian was not really tired probably you would never know I bought it.

8) What do you like most about being Site owner?

Nothing. There is nothing to like. I had tons of fun before and I cannot even troll in the 'pit now. I hope that I will find a way to like my role, in time.

9) What do you like least about being Site owner?

The fact that Ian is not. And the anxiety for income, servers, ads and all that. But with this Hex in place and the Staff we have now, I am much less anxious than a week ago.

10) Where do you see the curia in one year?

That is up to the Curia. I see it exactly where it is now. I hope I'm wrong.

11) Many people are becoming increasingly disillusioned with the curia and its helpfulness to the site – where do you stand on the issue?

The Curia, in my view was the acting consciousness of the site. It was the common ground that would not let us falter and fail. And indeed all the present Staff and Hex was produced through the Curia and all our principles were generated by our interaction in the Curia. And yes it was pedantic at times, and yes there was endless bickering but it somehow worked. Of course there was the issue of the "absentee landlord" that was the "common enemy" that binded the Curia together. After Ian, the owner was one of us and there was no "enemy". The Curia devolved. Personally, I would like an active Curia even if that meant that I would have to take tons of flak.

12) What do you think is the way forward for the curia?

Devolution. The structure has to reflect the needs of the site and it should be flexible with specific departments and specific tasks as the CdeC is at the moment.

13) Do you think the Curia should be given more power, less power or the same that it has now?

I think that the Curia should be given nothing. I think that it should take it by demonstrating that it deserves it.

14) What has been your greatest achievement at TWC?

I think the Artifex rank that permitted to the modders to participate more (and to have a shiny badge.) The new Tribunal.

15) What is your main regret at TWC?

The ten times or so that I resigned from staff in anger. My failure to perform properly my role as SotH.

16) Who have influenced you the most at TWC?

I have no idea! I know from which people I have been influenced the most. Sibs, Smack, imb39, WBK, JIT, Lusted, Soren and Mimirswell. And I'm sure that there are more.

17) Who do you think has had the biggest effect on this site?

My heart says Ian but my mind says Sim. Actually one would have done nothing without the other.

18) The only criticism I have of imb39s ownership was that it was incredibly boring at times – he put stability and good management over real change and I believe he put the most neutral people in power rather than the best – Will things under the leader of the famous staff coup? Will elements of the 2006 way of running the site return?

Not only boring but worst than that: ethical. I will try my best to overthrow the current ownersh...(damn!). Seriously now, I don't understand the concept of "real change". The site is functional, there is accountability and I think that the best people get the job. The reason that there is no drama is simply that all decisions at all levels are the product of discussion and not gut reactions to illusionary perceptions of events, as it was in the past. I am open to any proposal about anuthing on the site and so is Hex.

19) Many argue that nationalism is ruining the mudpit - my editorial against nationalism at TWC has proved to be very popular – I personally think that the worst nationalists should be put on probation so when they flame they will be away from the site for a long period of time – do you think there is a better solution?

That would be a good idea if nationalism (or rather phobic nationalism because there is nothing inherently bad with a little pride for your birthplace) was a matter of specific members. It is not. Nationalism is a fluctuating value on TWC and largely depends on examples given by the most experienced or respected members. Moderation cannot be bound to ideological concepts. The only solution is active moderation and considerate interventions. That or we'll become stormfront.

20) How do you think the TW section can be improved?

By giving to the modders whatever they need. And by involving them in the decision-making process. And by letting them a considerable degree of latitude in running their fora. And by getting a new server...

21) What was the first TW game that you played?

RTW (SPQR). Inever played vanilla. Later I discovered XL for MTW.

22) What is your favourite mod?

MTW:XL
    RTW: EB, FATW and SPQR because it was my first love.
    M2TW: Although SS has tuned the game almost to perfection BC is another game.

23) Apart from the TW series what games do you play?

HOI2(HSR), EU3. But not since May...

24) What is the best advice you can give to a new citizen or member?

What you are here echoes in real life. Always.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Elrond, and thankyou Garb. I hope you enjoyed this mini edition, and see you in a few days for Helios 32!

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Default Re: Helios 31.5: Garbarsardar's Garble

Cool stuff.
    Viva Garb.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Nice to see my little reporters all grown up

Good work

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Excellent suff, well done!
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Excellent Work
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Senno's Avatar C'est la Vie.
    Civitate

No mention of Garbarsardar's Fight Club in an interview with Garbarsardar? Such a perfect opportunity for some publicity, wasted. /Sigh.

Good interview otherwise.

PS: Visit Garbarsardar's Fight Club for all your debating needs.
    Last edited by Senno; October 12, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Advertising much, Senno?

Senno's Avatar C'est la Vie.
    Civitate

That's my job. Came down straight from Seneca.

First rule of Fight Club: Always speak about Fight Club.
    Last edited by Senno; October 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

I don’t know how anyone can criticise Ian’s running of the site, when Ian took over the site was all over the place, staff were resigning, modders wanted to leave and we even had a group of senior staff planning to develop a new site altogether (twhorde). If Ian has brought in staff to change things this would have caused even more problems (considering it was change that brought about the initial bout of unrest) amongst the community.

My only criticise of Ian is that he sold the site to soon, he should have held out until Empire had come along as site traffic would increased dramatically increasing the value of site.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    I don’t know how anyone can criticise Ian’s running of the site, when Ian took over the site was all over the place, staff were resigning, modders wanted to leave and we even had a group of senior staff planning to develop a new site altogether (twhorde). If Ian has brought in staff to change things this would have caused even more problems (considering it was change that brought about the initial bout of unrest) amongst the community.

My only criticise of Ian is that he sold the site to soon, he should have held out until Empire had come along as site traffic would increased dramatically increasing the value of site.
    From a "commercial" standpoint you are right.

Ian could sell the site at a much higher price whilst at the same time endangering its nature. And Ian would never do that because he is a better man than most.

Ian did not gain one penny from the sale.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; October 13, 2008 at 07:39 PM.

A great and intressting issue. Well done people! +rep to Sudanance + Elrond, and to Garb. for being so open on the matters.

a great and interesting issue indeed besides the praise sundance does for himself about the
    my editorial against nationalism at TWC has proved to be very popular
    chill.

Macedonia was,is and will always be Hellenic.
    it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Yeah, that's Elrond, not me, kid

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

I humble salute you old man... may I call you old friend?
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Hey, I don't really contribute much beyond the modding area, but I just want to say thank you for hosting this place where we can hang out and mod. I'm not sure how many people in the modding area are actually aware of all of the stuff that goes on out here on the main boards*, but we do appreciate the place to collaborate. I think it speaks well for the management skills of the forum admins that the changes of ownership were invisible if you weren't paying attention.

Again, thank you. At a basic level, I'm merely a guest in a house that many other people have built, and I do appreciate it.

*I'm certainly not aware, but I assume there's lots of drama, arguing, and flaming. Given the other fora of which I'm a member, it just seems like a safe bet.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Oh, the drama is particularly good

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Great interview. I like Garb and i dont hide it. My aim in life right now is to start my own business (just waiting for the VAT people god bless them) and then spend my marketing and advertising budget on TWC. Having people like Garb, EvM and Sim at the controls fills me with confidence.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I know this has been mentioned before, but i personally think TWC should have a "donate through paypal" (or something similar) button. Perhaps even a function to buy off infraction points/trib judges? I of course kid about the last bit, but not really.

Elzabar's Avatar Krazy Kiwi

Isn't that what the button down the bottom is, next to the forum style changer?

interesting
    A dead enemy always smells good - Alus Vitellus

formerly known as karakalos10

Starlightman's Avatar Calling Card
    Artifex

What you are here echoes in real life. Always.
    it depends how you see the real life....like a game...like fantasy or like a true life...we have only one life,let the fun begin...RTW for ever!

________Team Member of CBURIGreat Conflicts 872-1071 ________
    Dominion of the Sword
    IGreece Playable & Improvement mod BETA
    _________ Roman Warship 50 B.C 1/250 scaleIAthenian Trireme _________

__________under the patronage of noble Okmin-san ___________

[COLOR=Red]
    "You can fool all of the people some of the time
    You can fool some of the people all of the time
    But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. "
    Abraham Lincoln, 1864

"There are three truths: my truth, your truth and the truth."
    Chinese Proverb

Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    It's relevent if you argue the Elgin Marbles should be returned to Athens because they were "stolen", because the Athenians themselves stole the money to produce them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast