Thread: Roman Battle Stradegies!!!

Default Roman Battle Stradegies!!!

Ok, i was wanting to hear other peoples strategies on fighting battles using the roman factions. Like trying to defeat a full stack of Sassanid troops with a handful of Eastern Roman troops. Or destroying an uproaching horde with a fraction of the amount of troops theuy had. What works for you?

Default Re: Roman Battle Stradegies!!!

well i figured it was about time someone actually put something up here

normally i have a frontline of either (a) foederati spearmen or (b) legio comitatenses, since these both have shield wall. On either flank, and slightly further back, I deploy my other infantry units (normally foederati swordsmen/ heavy warband) along with the archers, with the general behind this line and the cavalry on either wing (or just one if i only have 1 cav unit)

generally i make sure the front line engages with the bulk of the enemy force, possibly tying up missile and cavalry units as well. the discipline and shieldwall of these units means that they take the least losses whilst...

on either side the archers move into position and begin pelting the unshielded backs of heavy infantry with arrows, leaving the spare infantry units to engage any other units or to go after the general. my cavalry usually makes 'routing charges' against the enemy, ties up missile units or helps the other infantry to kill the general. as for my own general, i throw him into the fray at the most needed time, ie when my own men are beginning to waver or if one final charge can route the enemy. after that it's just a matter of mopping up the routers. sorted

*NOTE* i havent figured out how to deal with horse archer armies as of yet (a true mistake considering the huns are hammering at my doorstep) but i find having them come up against other archers generally works due to the low shield value
    Last edited by Aenima; October 12, 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

well said! i am having truble with horse archers as well. I win but my men are bloody and battered every time, pretty much if you mostly use on the legions and milites you have to take the hamering arrows then move up and while moving try to fire your archers and slowly keep up the fire and move attack and hopfully force them to grapel.....orrrrrrrr you get wasted but it usaly works lol
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

I usually just run away like the wind!!

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

proly best lol
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"