Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Lepidus/Triarius

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Lepidus/Triarius

Caius Flavius Crassus rises in his seat suddenly before anybody else can speak to voice his opinion once more.

Senators, I believe it is becoming apparent that this war will not benefit us in any way. As soon as the war breaks out we will immediately lose trade and security, two things we can ill afford to squander at this crossroads in time of our great empire.

We could choose to fight an aggressive war, and this would mean somehow finding the resources to raise a powerful enough fleet to defeat the Carthaginian navy. Even if we were capable of achieving this, it would be quite impossible, as the carthaginians would strangle our ports and destroy our ships as they sailed form the docks. In addition, we would need to somehow find the money to raise more legions to take Sicily... and does it end there? They would doubtless continue their naval war, forcing us into a tit-for-tat exchange of ships and men unless we were to completely eradicate them, which would require yet more of these unlimited reserves of wealth and manpower that some senators seem to think that we posess. All this, whilst trying to maintain security at our northern borders? Those unwashed hordes would soon be back at the gates of Rome, looting our vineyards as soon as we were tied up in the south!

Of course, we could choose to fight a defensive war. This is equally to our disadvantage. If we did not raise a fleet then we would be surrendering all of the south to perpetual blockade, combined with the constant drain of having to maintain legions garrisoned in our southern towns in case the foe were to launch an invasion.

Our position at the moment is advantageous to allow a great strengthening and advance in the north. Yes, we could attack Carthage and see our money and good roman men spent for nothing. Or we could instead divert that energy to where it could better be used - and we would rule the entire peninsula! Our lands would stretch from Croton to the feet of the alps, and true glory would belong to Rome! The bringers of civilisation to the wretched lands of the north! We shall be known as bearers of light!
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

"Those lands are also fertile, they would grant us a much needed wealth that would allow us to take fight against Carthage."
    ooc: Welcome Lord Kal
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Men, I say we deploy a handful of men to block their path north into central Italia. Even if we do not meet them on the field of battle, we can halt their advance and maybe they will retreat. It gives us time to debate our reaction to their refusal and stops them gaining headway. Unless of course it is war that they want.

If I may senators, there is still one front on which we are at war. To our north stand the Boii. They are strong and numerous, but they and their Etruscan allies were crushed just 10 years ago. In that time we have subdued Etruria and Umbria, and yet the gallic allies in Bononia we're left to lick their wounds. Had it not been for defeating them so quickly, we would have been crushed when Pyrhhos landed. Now that we have defeated him, we should repay old debts and seize Bononia! They have risen against us before and if we refuse to act, then they could just as easily rise up again! Taking with them Etruria and Umbria in a wave of rebellious spirt. Northwards men. Destory the Boii and end once and for all their resistance to our rule!
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Balbvs, you speak wise words. I would like to declare my full support for this course of action. However, I would think it wise that the army were placed on the road to the north, to block them, and not directly in front of the army. We do not want to provoke their captain into doing anything rash.

However, I and other senators would like to know - when can we expect the latest military reports?
    Last edited by Lord Kal; October 24, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345