Thread: Game over too quickly

Default Game over too quickly

Ok, i'm having a problem with winning too fast. I play on Hard/Very Hard as Parliament.

I always end up destroying the Royalist Faction before i even get to use the New Model Army.

Once Charles, Rupert and his son are killed its all over. I don't even deliberately attack the faction leaders. But they just die too easily. But also, i always lose Olvier Cromwell early in the campaign too.

How can this be prevented to make a more challenging and longer lasting campaign? Could the defense of General's be toughened up?

Would it be possible to get AI faction leaders to look after themselves better, either by avoiding battles or staying out of trouble during battles?

Otherwise, would it be possible to get the Royalists to respawn under another King when the Stuart's are all Killed off? (Like some unknwon Bastard son of Charles could reappear in Wales or something with a Single Stack army ready to retake England for the Royals).

Default Re: Game over too quickly

How can this be prevented to make a more challenging and longer lasting campaign?
    There are a few methods:

1) Add a few extra Royals and 'bend' history slightly i.e Add Rupert/Maurice syblings and make Charles II 4 years older.

2) Add high ranking commanders such as Astley or Hopton to the family tree.

3) Remove the family tree altogether.

Would it be possible to get AI faction leaders to look after themselves better, either by avoiding battles or staying out of trouble during battles?
    This is something I'm working on.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; October 05, 2008 at 08:27 AM.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Same promblem here. Just started the campaign, by the fifth turn I had killed both The King and Prince (on very hard). I did not try to single them out or anything, their armies just attacked me an got butchered.

Could you make it so all generals belonged to the royal line. I know it's stupid, but the game really don't work as is is now.

Other than that superb work. This mod is the best for med II.

Could you make it so all generals belonged to the royal line.
    I can do this by removing the family tree, this is simple.

I can do this by as you say, adding them all to the Royal line. But what relative would they be to the king? Brother? Son? You can only have MAX 4 children for 1 general.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

my troops take oxford and the royalist army surrender and all rebels.
    is possible change this?,thanks.

Kyrre's Avatar Civis

Greetings!
    First I wish you a nice thanks giving!

Second:
    You might add some dead "Brothers" (somehow like the city governments you made for the AI) to James I. and call them something like Northern Generals, Southern Generals or whatsoever, depending on where they fought mostly. Then add all of the generals as sons of them. Only thing I don't how to avoid is that the date of their deaths would be shown which would make no sence. :hmmm:But better than the royalists just being ripped away!

So much for now.
    Nice evening gentlemen!

I've already decided that I will kill the Royalist family tree for version 1.2.

Charles will be the leader, Rupert the heir, it'll be upto the miracle of computing to decide who takes the throne afterwards.

Cheers

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

I think that is a good idea because in alot of respects we aren't playing as history dictates, so if chalres had died in battle would someone have not fought on in his name? Love the mod by the way. How battles play out is just perfect. Really good. Love the extra depth with all of the seperate regiments etc...

And when does the "Irish invasion" come ? I fear to be finsih before they come.

Quote Originally Posted by phoen!x View Post
    irish invasion? when did that happen?

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

good to hear that 1.2 will make the royalist cause a lasting one. this will lift the mod from 9/10 to 10/10 on my mod ranking!

so if chalres had died in battle would someone have not fought on in his name?
    It's a good question, and I think it depends upon in which batle he might have died in. I've always presumed that Rupert would of taken charge of the army, and I think the Kings Court would of taken charge of political matters, and acted as regent to Charles II, who would of been coronated soon after his fathers death.

Other than rerturning Royalist forces raised and trained in Ireland, there's no evidence of an Irish invasion of England. There is Scottish invasion and that happens in January 44, turn 24 or 25 of the campaign.

Cheers

started a new game. And in the first battle both faction leader died (he attacked mine). Hope that doesn t influnce the game too much ...

doublepost. please delete

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    It's a good question, and I think it depends upon in which batle he might have died in. I've always presumed that Rupert would of taken charge of the army, and I think the Kings Court would of taken charge of political matters, and acted as regent to Charles II, who would of been coronated soon after his fathers death.

Other than rerturning Royalist forces raised and trained in Ireland, there's no evidence of an Irish invasion of England. There is Scottish invasion and that happens in January 44, turn 24 or 25 of the campaign.

Cheers
    as long as charles 2 was alive,the royalists would have fought on.rupert as the kings nephew would have taken over but this would have been problamatic as he didnt exactly endear himself to other royalist commanders.the problem is killing the king was the furthest thing from parliaments mind for a long while.and given our current problem with kamikazi generals this is very difficult to simulate!

the final of-age member of the royal bloodline, king maurice, is on the attack, and despite being able to defeat him, i cannot, as it will end the game after less than 100 turns (and only two successful sieges in that time!). i even beat him once and took him prisoner. i had to release him to keep the game going.

Same here, I was just turning my Parliamentarian campaign around (I finally got the hang on the battles AND reconquered the rebel settlements) when a stray cannonball killed Rupert in a rather insignificant skirmish, Charles had died in some siege or other earlier and Maurice had kindly impaled himself on some pike as well already. A bit anticlimatic, I must say. Nevertheless, it was really challenging, I was on the edge all the time.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities