Thread: Expansion or sequel?

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Expansion or sequel?

Now that they have the game finished, what should they focus on now?

An expansion to the current game? Perhaps even one with a cohesive, semi linear story?

Or should they jump right into designing a new and more impressive engine and start a sequel now that they have money and a publisher?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Default Re: Expansion or sequel?

New engine or an improved version of this one IMO. M&B has the right skeleton but it needs some flesh to be a truly great game. A complex storyline, complex quest system, more in-depth army management, more varied weapons, more structured gameplay (the beginning of the game now is truly awful), scripted events, more unique locations and I could go on for hours with suggestions. They're a talented team and can pull a real classic.

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Well M&B2 is being planned I hear and it's online.

-Evil

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

It will also have Single-Player too. [For those thinking MMO]

I bet we won't see M&B 2 for another 5 years. Maybe we'll get a beta in 3 years if we're lucky.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

of course, it also depends on how well M&B 1 sells. i mean, if M&B sells terribly, and they make no money, why would they want to make a second game?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    of course, it also depends on how well M&B 1 sells. i mean, if M&B sells terribly, and they make no money, why would they want to make a second game?
    Oh don't worry. I bet M&B 1 and the betas before it has already made a huge profit, and Taleworlds is happily counting the money, bill by bill, while relaxing on a massage lounger with a nice cup of coffee.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I mean, it's not gonna be Halo 3, with higher revenues than all but the biggest hollywood movies.

But the development costs were also very low. Even if they don't sell a single retail profit, they have probably already made money.

Also, the fact that their sales of the Beta went directly to them, without a publisher taking a cut.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

But the development costs were also very low
    Relatively, but the game has to make up for the living costs of the team of the last x years, as well as kick-start development for their next game.

I think an expansion rather than a sequel would be a mistake, although it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect (low risk and development costs in comparison).

I'm going to say sequel, just because I've been dying to beat my friends heads in mp

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Just Imagine this,
    Such a small team created this brilliant game without the resources of bigger companies...like ea, so imagine if you grabbed Taleworlds, gave them ten million dollars to do thesequal, and then gave them a crack programming and coding team.
    Imagine the game that would come from that.
    *Drools*
    Something like that is just Masturbatory.
    Last edited by thatguy; October 07, 2008 at 01:33 AM.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

both both both....