Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with my tilde button?

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Icon5 What's going on with my tilde button?

hi everyone, I've been a RTR player since 5.x I haven't been on any forums in a long while because it seemed to me that RTR 7 kinda fizzled out but I just got back on here and I see it hasn't.

now that I have reinstalled the game, I decided to put this "sub"mod on with RTR. BTW, this mod rocks!

I do however seem to have a small problem. Everything works just fine, EXCEPT for my tilde button. I like to access the console in order to get rid of the fog of war to see the whole map, but for whatever reason my tilde button is not working. Oddly enough, I can't even find the 'consle' or whatever it's called key in the game's options...I looked at the key chart in RTW's options menu to see if maybe I forgot the key.

Anyway, I was wondering if 1) if anyone else has had this problem and 2)if someone could tell me maybe why this is?

Like I said, everything works just fine, so I believe I installed it properly (I do know from good experience that installing RTR and other mods can sometimes be a pain. For example, the current RTR disks I am using are actually the third copy I have bought of the game because of scratches and other unfortunate disk errors )

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: What's going on with my tilde button?

Try renaming ExRM\preferences\keys.dat to something else.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Darkside's Avatar Miles

So...what, rename the file? or look at the file and rename something in there? I'm sorry but can you be more specific plz? :hmmm:

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Well, just in case you are still reading this thread, I did rename the file keys.dat in the "xM" folder but that did not do anything at all. My gameplay is still fine, but that did not help me with my problem.

Still, thanks for your input.

Has anyone from any other mods or anything else ever experienced something like this?

BTW, I am using a wired QWERTY keyboard.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Hmmm, try the one in the root folder, too. I've never heard of anything like this.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Darkside's Avatar Miles

well, I tried to rename the keys.dat in the preferences in the ExRM folder, and the game actually created a new keys.dat file. I double checked this just now by renaming the file, and starting RTW, then going to windows explorer.

I will now try to do it with the keys.dat in the root folder.

Still, if anyone else knows, plz let me know.

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Icon5 Re: What's going on with my tilde button?

well, renaming either keys.dat file didn't do anything, but here is something odd:

in the ExRM folder, I renamed keys.dat to "keys1.dat"...when doing that, after starting the game then exiting out, it actually created another keys.dat file. I did the same thing in the root folder of the game, and it didn't do this.

Just a minute ago, I renamed the "keys.dat" to "Rename.dat" in the ExRM folder. This time, it didn't create a new file, but the game still starts and I have no problems whatsoever playing the game.

Can anyone tell me what in the world is going on here? And how I can get my freaking tilde key working?!? :hmmm:This is really puzzling.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

keys1.dat is the file where the game keeps the keyboard shortcut mappings you've configured (ExRM\preferences\keys1.dat for the mod, or just \preferences\keys1.dat for vanilla). When you rename the file, the game automatically creates a new one the next time you start it, with keys mapped to their defaults. Since the tilde normally works, I thought it may have been an issue with the keys1.dat file being corrupt, but look like you've ruled that out as a reason.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Well, I can tell you that in the root preferences folder, there is no keys1.dat file. And there never has been. Maybe that's why?

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

Similar behaviour happens with different language keyboards. In my case i need my finnish setting for writing ugrian and english to play. ALT shift and so on. Nuisance non english folks live with. You might want to try change it temporarily to native of this mod folks.
    Just making a guess here, but that tilde does bug me too in occasions differing this.

Darkside's Avatar Miles

lol...actually, I'm american and I am using the english language. This is bugging me.

BTW, this mod is HARD! I usually play on H/H and right now I am starting to stagnate like 40 years into this game. And I haven't even left the peninsula! (Playing as Roman)

Keyboards sometimes change language without asking. Happens all the time on my wife's computer (my old one) and occasionally on mine.

As for the mod, I'm glad it's giving you a nice challenge.
    Last edited by Quinn Inuit; October 03, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Darkside's Avatar Miles

well...is there any way to change it back? I'm just used to seeing the whole map so lol it feels like I'm blind!

Yes. If you right click on your taskbar, you should be able to pull up the language bar as an option. View that, then make sure the keyboard is set up correctly.

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Well, I opened the language bar settings and it said that I'm on English (United States). Actually, there aren't any other options...

And one other thing that I thought might be unrelated (and I still think it's unrelated) is that the game has no music. On the campaign map, or the battle map. Is that something that the mod purposefully does?

Arrrgghhhhhhh

I have it too on my laptop... I really don't know why. Never tryed to change the language though (ie English (US) insteat of Dutch)

Btw... If you want the fog of war turned off, then go to ExRM\preferences\preferences.txt find the proper line ("FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE") and change it to "FOG_OF_WAR:FALSE"

Have you tried typing with the tilde key? Like `~? Maybe that key on your keyboard isn't working. Or maybe I'm completely wrong.
    Birthdays are healthy for you. Statistics show that those who have more of them live longer.

It really does work... It only gets ignored in RTW...

Hmmm. I'm not sure what to tell you, then.

No music? I thought I fixed that in 3.3.4. In any case, the fix is easy. Just copy the descr_sounds_music.txt file from your vanilla data directory to your ExRM directory.

Darkside's Avatar Miles

Well I just don't know why this doesn't work...I just opened notepad and my tilde key works fine...

But I should've remembered I could change the FOW with the preferences.txt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast