Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Preview of Dwarves --

The Big Red 1's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: --Unit Preview--Dwarves--

Quote Originally Posted by FarKenal View Post
    Truly great work guys, I had no idea how you were going to pull off the stubby little dwarves.

Given that this is a preview though, I thought I’d share some feedback

With the Dwarven Axemen units, a lot of them have their axe poles going under their beards and coming out the side/back of their necks. I also like the green clothes to help put some differences in there, but it blends into the grass too well, maybe a slightly darker green/dirtier would suit better.

Same with the arms on the Dwarven Halberdmen, the green makes me think there’s a graphics glitch and that Im looking at grass.

For the Vault Wardens with the upgrade armour, the square/high shoulder pads could do with some smoothing/refinement. One big thing I just noticed is that when they hold the spear to their chest, that it dissappears into their body and comes out at the shoulders!

The Dwarven Nobles appear to have triangle feet.

Axemen of Erebor, they all have the axe poles going through their beards

Theres a little bit of glitch problem with the Dragonslayers of Ered Luin, when they rest their axes on their shoulders and it goes under their armour.

In general I think if you could possibly get time, to add an additional different style of helmet for most of the standard units, which would pay off wonders and help prevent that clone’ish feel. For the units with shields is it possible to add a wrist band or something around their arm holding the shield, as at the moment some of them look like their magically holding on.

I think that you may have one or two, too many similar units. I know that 2 are from area zone of recruitment, but with

Dwarven Warriors
    Dwarven Axemen
    Dwarven Nobles
    Iron Guard
    Axemen of Erebor
    Dragonslayers of Ered Luin
    General with Bodyguards

It just seems that most of them are too similar, perhaps it could be worth giving one special unit Hammers, instead of swords or axes, and give them an attack bonus versus, beasts/large creatures/armour etc.

Anyway your work looks great and sorry if it seems like nothing but criticism, but if I wrote what I liked, it would go for several pages and Im just trying to help it be perfect.
    Animations aren't complete yet.
    HONEY I AM HOME

Wow, these are simply awesome!!!
    Dragonslayer are just !
    Last edited by Roger the Shrubber; October 01, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

You're the best around!

Quite impressive, indeed.

Since I do not recall seeing any unit descriptions for dwarves in the unit description thread, I was wondering whether we might be free to start cooking up unit descriptions for these stunning-looking units.

The Count(er)'s Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by shinsengumi View Post
    Quite impressive, indeed.

Since I do not recall seeing any unit descriptions for dwarves in the unit description thread, I was wondering whether we might be free to start cooking up unit descriptions for these stunning-looking units.
    I'm sure you can go ahead and start on those now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    everyone but me is wrong.
    Ego's are fun

they look excellent! well done folks! can you post a normal unit next to a dwarf to see the hight difference
    (Lordgeordie )

Col Poutting's Avatar Tiro

Dragon slayers of Ered Luin are the nicest units I've ever seen in a mod till now King Kong, great preview!!!!
    Thanks for your great work!

Kiam's Avatar Miles

OMG!!! NICE JOB!

I keep get impressed by how well a job you guys are doing.
    Keep it up guys
    Last edited by Kiam; October 02, 2008 at 03:57 AM. Reason: type error

I'm already preparing myself to say this every single time, but... that's the best preview yet Especially since there is so little visual material from the movies on dwarves, yet they look perfect.
    "He is suffering from Politician's Logic: 'Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.'"
    - Yes, Prime Minister

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Once more an exelent work of this team!!!!!!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Phe... no... me... nal...

Really great. Could you add a different beard (shape) and/or hair?

Kiljaden's Avatar Centenarius

Dem stunties look gud. Gud enuf fer roastin'.

Seriously, outstanding work!

great units! Keep up your great work

All wars are civil wars because all men are brothers. ~ François Fenelon

King Ardumanish's Avatar Civis

i awaited this preview for months... i hope you get another one soon

these units look awesome... i can't await the release

Indeed very well done

Big LOTR/JRRT fan here and I might say, JRRT would be happy to see this fine work!

Keep it up!

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

OMG!
    really beautiful!
    look for the naxt preview!
    אלוהים!!זה מעולה!
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

nice boat~!

DjAci's Avatar Semisalis

Icon14 Re: --Unit Preview--Dwarves--

Totally agreed with FarKenal + as was mentioned before dragonslayers could have a bigger axe.

Now for the models... they are breathtaking. The level of detail is amazing, weapons, armor, design. U really get the feeling that there is an army of dwarves, angry and ready for battle facing you. Quite exhilarating. Amazing job, very impressive.

I would just like to point out that a slight diversification might improve things. A bit more helm models would give them far better feel. Also I would be very glad to see a unit wielding 2H hammers instead of axes.

I love the crossbowman (my favourite dwarf unit), but was sorry to see that dale archers are planned for the faction. If I understand correctly Tolkien directly mentioned dwarves using bows. A unit off short-range but very powerful archers would be very tacticly useful.

Finally I must once again try to convince the team that dwarves can function completly without cavalry if they are given superior very long range anti troop siege unit. (can tacticly fill the role of cavalry which is battle control). I am aware that in this phase this idea will be difficult to integrate within the first release even if the team accepts them but I feel they deserve to be mentioned.

All in all, a fantastic preview, supreb work KK.
    I am slightly obsessed with longbows

OMG this is so cooooooooooooooooooool keep up the good work

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!

To answer some questions/suggestions:
    Dragonslayers of Ered Luin should be called Dragonslayers of Ered Mithrin
    already done.
    but isnt it very less?? and only with dale cavalry game will be balanced?
    I assume we can balance them even with almost no cavalry. Every faction will have very different strengths and weaknesses.
    and you had a different helmet type, you removed it?? it would be nice to see different type helmet. like it has wings :original:
    Probably I'll add some more helmet variations, but probably not with wings...
    Loved the dragonslayers armour, but I was thinking, wouldn't a guy meant to kill dragons have a heavier axe?
    Dragonslayers will get heavier and unique axes...

Finally I must once again try to convince the team that dwarves can function completly without cavalry if they are given superior very long range anti troop siege unit. (can tacticly fill the role of cavalry which is battle control). I am aware that in this phase this idea will be difficult to integrate within the first release even if the team accepts them but I feel they deserve to be mentioned.
    I havn't overseen your last suggestions and they will get a special heavy long range ballista. Maybe also the model will be changed slightly...
    Also I would be very glad to see a unit wielding 2H hammers instead of axes.
    The problem is that Tolkien never mentioned dwarves with hammers, but I'll think about it...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008