Page 102 of 111 FirstFirst ... 252779293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2206

Thread: -- Preview of Dwarves --

SpaceManSpiff's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: -- Preview of Dwarves --

They have a gyrocopter, and they're pretty much worthless. You can only include one in your army. I don't care for them at all.

The Goblin Hewer, Organ Gun, and (my fav) Flame Cannon, are all decidedly cool.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

The lord on the shield being carried by two guys is really cool, like in asterix.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Meh, I was never a fan of dwarves in GW.
    More of an orc man myself.

I love the Dwarves in GW!!! Have 2000 points (140 actual models) on my shelf, though only a third is painted.

Though back to this thread: The creator of these units is a true artist! I mean this stuff belongs in the Lourve! Move over Mona Lisa, we have DWARVES!!!

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
    They have a gyrocopter, and they're pretty much worthless. You can only include one in your army. I don't care for them at all.

The Goblin Hewer, Organ Gun, and (my fav) Flame Cannon, are all decidedly cool.
    Yeah, they're OK and interesting since the GW world is based on the Renaissance period when gunpowder and new and varied mechanical contraptions were in general usage.

I've got a bunch of unpainted and painted 10mm Warhammer figures that I will be putting on Ebay. Some I will keep just in case I get into 10-12mm ME (I liked to paint figs. for paintings sake alone, but my vision is pretty lousy now even when using lamps and magnifying glass type tools), but I don't have the gumption and am pressed for time and would probably end up solo gaming, as the rest of my old fart gaming friends are either now dead, dissapperared, don't game anymore, or just drifted away. There are a whole bunch of 10-12mm figs. made by various companies that are great for ME, and one company whose name starts with a 'K' I do believe, makes some great Olog-hai Trolls as Tolkien described them, and I had something to do with them being made that way through my rantings at a website and the link I found to the old Ral-Oartha 25mm Troll that showed the scales, the warhammer, the shield, etc. as Tolkien described and the "K" company, Kalistra, or was it the "P" company Pendragon made their 10mm models based on that old Ral-Partha model and may rantings I do believe. Olog-hai may have been about 8 to 10-feet tall, shorter than other Trolls but much smarter etc., and those models reflect near that height in 10-12mm scale.

The Dwarves in this mod look very sharp and will be great, and folow Tolkien's ideas and descriptions very well. I hope they can move farther on the start map than Mannish and Orcish units because the dwarves could actually outmarch cavalry due to their great endurance and ability to march for a longer period of time. Maybe a 5% to 10% increase in march distance might be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
    The Balrog was of IMMENSE STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE without it the Orcs could never have held on to their capital city!

Sorry, but it's TRUE.

Perhaps use it as a massive dread bonus ancillary? Even the rumour of a Balrog would send people running...
    Moria wasn't the capital city of the OotMM, Mt. Gundabad was the capital. Moria was just another orc stronghold like Mt. Gram, the High Pass and Goblin Gate/City, Dol Guldur, Durthang, etc.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; April 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christof139 View Post

The Dwarves in this mod look very sharp and will be great, and folow Tolien's ideas and descriptions very well. I hope they can move farther on the start map than Mannish and Orcish units because the dwarves could actually outmarch cavalry due to their great endurance and ability to march for a longer period of time. Maybe a 5% to 10% increase in march distance might be OK.
    That is an excellent point. Just like their march from the Iron Hills. They arrived much sooner than anyone expected because they didn't need to stop and rest like other races. Not only did they just complete a long march, in full armor, with provisions, but were completely ready to take the field of battle too! Dain was ready for a fight, right then and there!

On a wargamming note, I've collected games and figures for, gosh, 30 years now. I've never actually played a tabletop game, because let's face it, gamers are weird. LOL (Yeah, I'm weird too) Still love all those books, lore, rules, and beautiful miniatures. That's why I love this game so much. I get great table-top action, without traveling, spending a fortune on figures, painting until I pass out, etc. I'm super impressed with this mod. It's truly made up of some great work.

christof139's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yup, know what you mean about some tabletop gamers, many are armchair generals and quite a bit addled and off in la-la-land. A good reason to enjoy PC games as you state; you don't have to deal with those types of know-it-all 'heros' etc.

The Sixth Wizard's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ISA Gunner View Post
    It sends EVERYONE running, including Orcs, so it would be pointless. Just drop the Balrog subject. The answer is a big, fat solid NO.

As a compromise, I'll play as OoMM and wipe out the Dwarves first.
    Third Age: Total War! (!!!!)

This looks awesome I love the dwarves they are my favoruite faction! I love making a long journey to moria and re-taking it! the orcs are usally really weak and my dwarves can take out 2000 before they die! I just cant wait

yalcin87's Avatar Libertus

i hope for 2.0 you make some units which uses hammers

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by yalcin87 View Post
    i hope for 2.0 you make some units which uses hammers
    Nowhere in the books is it stated that the Dwarves used hammers for anything other than tools. That's all Warhammer.

Having that said, a one-handed warhammer unit wouldn't be too far-fetched.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Nowhere in the books is it stated that the Dwarves used hammers for anything other than tools. That's all Warhammer.

Having that said, a one-handed warhammer unit wouldn't be too far-fetched.
    Aren't two-handed mattocks mentioned somewhere? Five Armies maybe? Those could easily have a hammer on one sideDo it

I understand the mixed feelings on Dwarves with hammers. Real warhammers had very small heads to punch holes in armor. They looked like wicked framing hammers, not sledge hammers. I've always thought the giant hammer look was a bit silly. While oversized weapons are totally appropriate for WHFB and 40k, they ruin the realistic feel of ME. I could go for actual warhammers, but not war-sledgehammers.

Well if any of you guys have ever played oblivion then you would have seen that some of the War-hammers were sharp and could easily punch through armor! and also dwarves have unnatural strength. They can weild things like halberds with one hand while men have to use 2! I dont think it would be to bad if they had a two handed war hammer

MadTiest's Avatar Miles

Real warhammers had very small heads to punch holes in armor
    And Real men are taller than 4 feet and do not posses supernatural strength and stamina That said, a warhammer sized warhammer doesn't look right to me either.

I didnt say that it would like right. I said that They could and not just small hammers can punch holes through armor

The oversized weapons on GW models were a big hit because earlier miniatures were simply too small. At 15mm, with realistically scaled gear, the weapons couldn't stand up to the slightest use. Originally, GW made their miniatures in the 15mm scale, but began making them larger and larger, eventually settling on the present 25mm. The oversized weapons allow for a more sturdy miniature, and more detail. Something you couldn't hope to achieve at 15mm. The only figures from the 15mm days that were any good were oversized creatures. Characters like Dwarves were nearly impossible. Even RalPartha's lines up to the end, though they were good quality, lacked detail at such a small scale.

Ok, so about warhammers. I could see ME Dwarves using warhammers, but proper ones. Not sledge hammers. Not hammers intended for work. Using tools as implements of war denotes a lack of preparedness, which is totally uncharacteristic of Dwarves. With Dwarven longevity, and their regemented society, I can't imagine them having anything less than veteran units as thier basic infantry. The same goes for Elves of all kinds. There simply won't be many novice warriors around. I would expect 90% of all Dwarves to be well trained, equipped, and ready for action at any time.

In fact, it would be realistic for Elves, Dwarves, and Orkish factions to have higher recruitment numbers available. Elvish and Dwarvish populations are ready to march to war at a moments notice, as skilled warriors. Orkish factions should be able to pump out a glut of low quality warriors in a turn. I think that's something that has been poorly depicted in games involving Dwarves. They are allowed to build high quality units, but at a slow pace. They should be able to field full armies in just a couple of turns, but it would all be dependent on their terribly slow population growth. I think factions that consist of Men (Gondor, Rohan, Rhun, etc), are best represented by recruitment currently present in MTW2. Orkish factions should have the highest population growth, be able to spam cheap troops, with the slowest buildup of high quality troops.

So here's the breakdown;
    Elves and Dwarves can quickly field large, excellent armies, but they'd have to use a lot of caution, because it will be a long time to create reinforcements.
    Man-things would field armies at a medium pace with a broad mix of unit types. They would be capable of steady reinforcement.
    Orkoids should be able to spam hoards of low-quality armies, with veteran troops being scarce.

I'm not sure if this could even be done, but it's just an idea.

Mithrandir's Avatar Flame of Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Caml3 View Post
    Aren't two-handed mattocks mentioned somewhere? Five Armies maybe?
    Indeed.

I understand the mixed feelings on Dwarves with hammers. Real warhammers had very small heads to punch holes in armor. They looked like wicked framing hammers, not sledge hammers.
    Exactly, that's the kind of hammers they'd use.

In fact, it would be realistic for Elves, Dwarves, and Orkish factions to have higher recruitment numbers available. Elvish and Dwarvish populations are ready to march to war at a moments notice, as skilled warriors. Orkish factions should be able to pump out a glut of low quality warriors in a turn. I think that's something that has been poorly depicted in games involving Dwarves. They are allowed to build high quality units, but at a slow pace. They should be able to field full armies in just a couple of turns, but it would all be dependent on their terribly slow population growth. I think factions that consist of Men (Gondor, Rohan, Rhun, etc), are best represented by recruitment currently present in MTW2. Orkish factions should have the highest population growth, be able to spam cheap troops, with the slowest buildup of high quality troops.

So here's the breakdown;
    Elves and Dwarves can quickly field large, excellent armies, but they'd have to use a lot of caution, because it will be a long time to create reinforcements.
    Man-things would field armies at a medium pace with a broad mix of unit types. They would be capable of steady reinforcement.
    Orkoids should be able to spam hoards of low-quality armies, with veteran troops being scarce.

I'm pretty sure that could be done, I'll keep that in mind for the list of suggestions I'm going to post for 2.0.

Under the patronage of
    Code_Knight

it may not say that dwarfs used hammers directly but it does say that dwarfs often used their tools for weapons for example lets have a look at the miner unit

So here's the breakdown;

Ever played the Real Recruitment Mod? I played it together with SS and elite units are just showing up ervery 3 to 5 turns. Dont know but with some slight changes to the mod your vision could come true. The modder should keep an eye on the game balance though.
    worshipper of Aulë ... and thx for all the dwarves