View Poll Results: Which class should I hold first?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mapping

13 26.00%
  • Basic Modding

21 42.00%
  • Scripting

16 32.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GrnEyedDvl's Next Course(s)

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default GrnEyedDvl's Next Course(s)

I have decided to hold 3 M2TW modding classes between now and Feb 2009 which is the release date for Empire. The classes will be Mapping, Scripting, and Basic Modding.

Basic Modding
    Creating a working mod folder, and going through the most commonly text files. This will be set up for the person that has never modded before at all.

Mapping
    I have held one mapping course already, but I will rewrite it to be better organized and include some new information. This will be geared towards people that have a basic knowledge of modding and the mod folder.

Scripting
    This one will be pretty intense, and a basic knowledge of modding and files will be required.

The plan right now is to start sometime early in Nov depending on when B. Ward finishes his class. I will post more details later. For now I am posting a poll about which class to hold first as it really doesnt matter to me at all. I will hold them in the order of votes, highest to lowest.

Default Re: GrnEyedDvl's Next Course(s)

sticked.
    Last edited by J@mes; September 30, 2008 at 05:13 PM.

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Wow GED, nice to see you heading back to the class room. Whenever you do the mapping course let me know and I'll help you out with that.

I would like to sign up for mapping and scripting.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Imo, I think it would be logical to have the Basic Modding class first, and work from there.

Unfortunately, as much as I would love to participate, my computer cant handle M2TW.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atraps View Post
    Imo, I think it would be logical to have the Basic Modding class first, and work from there.
    If we were to assume everyone had the same level of modding knowledge I would agree. But since skill levels are so varied here I offered a choice.

Unfortunately, as much as I would love to participate, my computer cant handle M2TW.
    Sorry to hear that, but the archives will be here for you to read through when you get an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    If we were to assume everyone had the same level of modding knowledge I would agree. But since skill levels are so varied here I offered a choice.
    I see what you mean.

Sorry to hear that, but the archives will be here for you to read through when you get an upgrade.
    Yes, Ive actually found your previous mapping class for M2TW quite useful, though not for M2TW, but for RTW.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Glad you could use it. The scripting commands are much the same though M2 has some new ones.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

I'd support an Advanced Scripting class if it is based on knowledge similar to knowing what all of the classes J@mes taught do and possibly thensome. If it's a reiteration then it obviously wouldn't be inherently useful for reference.

I don't support a Basic Modding course because it is my understanding that J@mes is working on a similar course as a replacement for the Rookie's Nook in the near future, so the class would be quite redundant and possibly confusing if people had to choose or take both.

I don't support a Mapping course because more people have already learned how to map just by reading the archives of your former class which are about as good as a mapping class is ever going to get. Add to that the fact that it seems to be you'd be more than willing to answer PMs about people who follow that class archive and have questions, and there is no real benefit to reiterating the class with the additional interaction. I fail to see where someone who can't follow those lessons would be able to garner anything from a new course, because the learning curve does not get much smoother. Having said that, I was a skeptic modder at first when it came to the utility of tutorials, and I do still see quality deficiencies, but they are definitely not in mapping, where the only way you can not learn to map at this point is by making excuses.

Now, if it is an advanced mapping course, and I'm not even sure what that phrase would entirely mean, then I could see some utility in it. I suppose that would entail post-creation error fixing and the sort of thing that we all run into with maps. Right now on our map we're at the fun point of having 15,000 wacky roads to fix and a whole bunch of coasts to smooth, plus some invalid city tiles. Problem with this is I'm not sure how a class like that would play out, because it isn't as black and white as a basic mapping class.

Lastly, I'd support you co-teaching a AI class with xeryx who I encouraged to teach an AI class in the past, because this is a not covered area that every map/faction changing mod needs to address if they want their AI to perform up to par. This is the course outline I sent him for the AI a while back:

Lesson 1 - The AI Files ~ All of the files that work with the AI in any way, and a brief overview of how to insure your mod is set up to modify the AI

Lesson 2 - Battle AI Basics ~ An overview of the syntax used in the xml files, and the basic changes for the most impact on the BAI

Lesson 3 - Battle AI Expanded ~ Further information on the battle AI and what the parameters in the file mean in-game, etc.

Lesson 4 - Campaign AI Basics ~ An overview of the files that come together to produce CAI changes, and the basic changes for the most impact on the CAI

Lesson 5 - Campaign AI Expanded ~ Further information on the campaign AI and what the parameters mean in-game, etc.

Lesson 6 ~ Impossibilities and Conclusion ~ Some examples of AI behavior that is commonly asked about but that can't be changed by AI modding, and any further reading or information.
    Obviously all the AI can't be explained in one succinct course, so there's room for Advanced AI classes in the future if there is desire for them. That being said not all Scripting can be determined in one class but J@mes classes can still give someone enough basis of knowledge to learn the rest on their own, which a Basic AI class can also achieve since the AI files are much less complex once you actually get your hands on them.

Cheers,
    Augustus
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; October 01, 2008 at 01:13 AM.

mapping plz i would love to join.

cheers --Ian

If there was AI i would love to join but since the scripting isnt advanced i went for mapping

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Scripting is slightly ahead as I post this. If I end up doing scripting first, there will be some more advanced stuff.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Scripting is slightly ahead as I post this. If I end up doing scripting first, there will be some more advanced stuff.
    Oh yeah!
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

i woulda voted for scripting then imagine i decrease one from the mapping and one to scripting

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

signed for scripting!

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Like I stated earlier if it's Mapping or even Basic Modding, I'll help you out GED, but I'll take the scripting class personally. :thumbsup4

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Cool thanks. You rock.

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

I have voted mapping because I have come to a halt in this process and would like to find out where.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

I would love to take a scripting class
    Lorehammer - Team Lead
    A Radious Total War: Warhammer Sub-mod

Basic modding for me. I'm still trapped in MTW:VI and RTW. Anything to help get me up-to-date and possibly prepared for Empire will be a treat.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast