Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 days in New York - What to do?

Default 4 days in New York - What to do?

I'm going to New York with my family in a month and just need some advice on what to do while there. The problem is I only have 4 days to spend and while my parents refuse to accept it I believe it's far from long enough.

Empire State Building is a must I guess but other than that I don't really know. The Statue of Liberty takes some time to get to but is it worth it? Are there any museums one can't afford to miss? Any other things/places to see?

Thanks!
    End of an era

Default Re: 4 days in New York - What to do?

From a local, go on weekdays, around noon for both. I would recommend that you do not get food in or near times square or other tourist areas. Central park is beautiful right about now and it is a pleasant and safe walk for any family. Museums you MUST see are the Natural History museum (81st and Central Park West) , Metropolitan Museum of Art (83rd and 5th Ave, you can walk to the NHM if you want, probably the best walk in the city). The South Street Seaport is a great place to spend time and you can walk over to the Ground Zero Memorial and that whole area if you so please. The 4 or 5 subway lines will get you to all these locations

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I'm going to New York with my family in a month and just need some advice on what to do while there. The problem is I only have 4 days to spend and while my parents refuse to accept it I believe it's far from long enough.

Empire State Building is a must I guess but other than that I don't really know. The Statue of Liberty takes some time to get to but is it worth it? Are there any museums one can't afford to miss? Any other things/places to see?

Thanks!
    You can take a boat tour that goes to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, et cetera. It'll take a few hours, but it's nice. Bring a camera. If you like museums, you'll definitely want to go to the Met, and if you like baseball, stop by 161st St and River Ave and take some pictures of Yankee Stadium before it's demolished. There are some cool shops at Times Square, and it's a nice place to see, but god is it always crowded.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Thanks guys!
    End of an era

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

If you have some extra time, walk through the subway and Grand Central Station looking for rats. They're about as big as seals, but you can probably kill a few. I'm pretty sure you can still cash the heads in at city hall for $0.50 a pop.

...and the UN building is pretty cool.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

NYC gets cumbersome if you just stick to the classic, plastic tourist areas. I'm a total film nut, so the first thing I did after arriving in New York was going for a walk in and around Astoria - truly priceless.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    If you have some extra time, walk through the subway and Grand Central Station looking for rats. They're about as big as seals, but you can probably kill a few. I'm pretty sure you can still cash the heads in at city hall for $0.50 a pop.
    I'll do that. Want me to send you one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Consul
    NYC gets cumbersome if you just stick to the classic, plastic tourist areas. I'm a total film nut, so the first thing I did after arriving in New York was going for a walk in and around Astoria - truly priceless.
    Sounds interesting. I'll try to fit that in, though I have to go to some of the classic tourist places as well.
    End of an era

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Go see Late Night with David Letterman!

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Get street kebab! Oh god yes...I miss kebabs...

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

YEs, one mus eat the food off the street carts and go to the deli for an egg and cheese sandwich. Something I always do when I return home, taste of home so to speak.

4 days is definitely not long enough to see everything in the city, but its enough time to see a lot. The Museums mentioned are a must, plus the planetarium right behind the National History Museum. Those two alone could take a day.

There are definitely some great exhibits to see in the Astoria Queens studios, they're rotating so I don't know what's going on there right now.

I'm all about tasting my way through a city, so I know food. There's Grey's Papaya on 8th & 37th and Carneys on Broadway near Times Square. Also, have some Pizza and a Bagel while your there and a Black & White cookie.

Grand Central is great, not only for the rats, but they cleaned the whole atrium area up several years ago and it looks incredible.

The way I tend to do NY is just get off the subway some place; Pen Station, Bleeker St., 81st St etc and just walk around. When I was there in July I walked from 14th up to 97th from the East River over to 8th Ave and then back down 3rd. I'm a walker and that's a lot of walking, but NY is definitely a walkers city.

The important thing is, have fun.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Being a resident for all my life heres what you should do
    You pick what suits you best
    Central Park
    Empire State Building(REALLY FUN)
    Rockefeller Center(Cool and a shopping center+nintendo world if you need video games
    Broadway(expensive but REALLY cool)
    Statue of Liberty
    Museum of Natural History
    Art Museum(forgot the name)
    Walking around Manhattan(fun by itself)
    Coney Island Beach(you missed the amusement park as it closed about 2 weeks ago)
    Try and come when somethings going on like Tribeca Film Festival or a free concert in Central Park
    Times Square
    UN Building
    Skyscraper viewing
    Staten Island Ferry
    Try and get on Cash Cab
    Go to some famous company headquarters

dunno where u are staying but if it's in/near time square try to get tickets for city bus tour

http://www.citysightsny.com/

for like $75 u get a ton of stuff and a bus ride to all the main places

this one http://www.citysightsny.com/page.php?id=50
    Downtown Tour (Hop on/ Hop Off)
    Uptown Treasures & Harlem Tour (Hop on/ Hop off)
    Night Tour
    Brooklyn Tour
    FREE ADMISSION To Museum of the City of New York or New York Historical Society
    Circle Line 75min Harbor Cruise
    Ticket To Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island by Ferry
    Ticket To Top of the Rock Observation Deck OR Empire State Building Observation Deck (You Choose)
    at statue of liberty u have to buy another ticket if you want to go on top of the fort - not having to wait in line to get a ticket is a major plus

i was there for 2 days and 3 nights and didn't get the harbor tour in

night tour is awesome - if ur lucky they'll have the lights up at ground zero
    I admire your luck, Mr...?

Bond..James Bond

Indefinitely Banned

Don't forget Jamaica Street.

mp0295's Avatar Vicarius

me being for the glorious long island in the town of nassua i know a lot about NYC considering if i wana go anywhere not on LI i have to go to it. go to the museum of natural history its pretty cool Elis island was fun but the boat ride took a while. if you want do what i did go to elis island then statue of liberty. also when you go to central park go to the big rock thing and climb up to the top of the part thats upside down in places. it was quite fun. also south street sea port is (or was) loads of fun

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Hey mp0295, where on the Island are you from? I grew up in Bethpage.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Go see Rangers in Madison Square Garden.
    Not Islanders.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

I really wanna go to New York myself (I am hoping to live there when I am older). Obviously I would visit Manhattan and all the sites around there- but I really want to see New York and properly experience the culture and atmosphere. Is there anywhere is particular that you would suggest? Are there any no-go areas?
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    I really wanna go to New York myself (I am hoping to live there when I am older)
    Don't we all .

Obviously I would visit Manhattan and all the sites around there- but I really want to see New York and properly experience the culture and atmosphere. Is there anywhere is particular that you would suggest? Are there any no-go areas?
    I like the idea in one of the earlier posts. Take the subway somewhere famous (South Street Seaport, Penn Station, Times Square, Union Square etc.) and just walk around. And so some shopping.

For culture and atmosphere, there's lots of culture and atmosphere up in the Bronx. Depends on what you meant by culture. The Metropolitan Museum is awesome.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azog 150
    I really wanna go to New York myself (I am hoping to live there when I am older)

Don't we all .

Quote:
    Obviously I would visit Manhattan and all the sites around there- but I really want to see New York and properly experience the culture and atmosphere. Is there anywhere is particular that you would suggest? Are there any no-go areas?
    I like the idea in one of the earlier posts. Take the subway somewhere famous (South Street Seaport, Penn Station, Times Square, Union Square etc.) and just walk around. And so some shopping.

For culture and atmosphere, there's lots of culture and atmosphere up in the Bronx. Depends on what you meant by culture. The Metropolitan Museum is awesome.
    I like the idea of just taking the subway. By culture I basically just mean I want to properly experience and see what it has to offer.

Whats Brooklyn and Queens like?
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    I like the idea of just taking the subway. By culture I basically just mean I want to properly experience and see what it has to offer.

Whats Brooklyn and Queens like?
    The only time I've been to Queens was to go to Shea -- I spend most of my time in NY in Manhattan and the Bronx. From what I hear, though, Brooklyn is a hole and Queens is nice but has confusing geography.

Not very specific, I know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast