Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / CONNACHT

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / CONNACHT

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    What do you want? The cavalry would be previous recruitment tier?
    I thinking about...
    Yeah, that, or available as mercs. I prefer the merc idea because (as far as I know) the number of units can be drastically restricted. I also like the merc idea becuase it implies the rural nature of horse breeding and riding, having horse units only available in cities is just too odd IMHO.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Yeah, that, or available as mercs. I prefer the merc idea because (as far as I know) the number of units can be drastically restricted.
    ... but do you mean a recruit numbers or the unit size's number?

I also like the merc idea becuase it implies the rural nature of horse breeding and riding, having horse units only available in cities is just too odd IMHO.
    Oh mate, this is original game mechanism problem not this mod. The area centrer is the settlements and if a town to develpoping the result is a city...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    ... but do you mean a recruit numbers or the unit size's number?
    Availability is too low, as it stands there is practically no cavalry available to Ireland.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Icon7 Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / CONNACHT

This is an absolutely fantastic mod, total thumbs up. Your modelling / texturing / 2D art in particular is great too. I'm a 3D artist, maybe you need a hand with something? I'm better at modelling than texturing however, and have little experience with working on mods. The mod rings a cord with me because I've been researching deep into my families past who originated in Ireland. I suggest everyone should have a look back, because it's amazing reading about your families past and some of the figures that shaped it!

My ancestral roots go back to the O'Mahony clan in Cork who were founded by the great Cian mac Máelmuaid . They were the Eóganacht Raithlind branch of the Eóganacht dynasty which ruled Munster from the 5th - 10th century. The Raithland were princes of Desmond (south Munster), and only became kings of all Munster a few times however. But were very wealthy from the trade and fishing levies they had on the south coast so were able to build about 20+ castles in that area as well as fleet of trade and fighting ships.

The king of Munster, Máel Muad mac Brain was of the Eóganacht Raithlind. He's the king who fought and lost against the Dál gCais's larger army in the very bloody Battle of Belach Lechta. The Dál gCais were lead by Brian Bóruma mac Cennétig in his first victory on his way for power in Ireland (That's the famous Brian Boru, eventual high king of Ireland ). The Dál gCais before this period did not hold any formal positions of power in Ireland as they were a clan of the Déisi and subjects to Munster nobles, but were growing in size and with backing from Leinster they finally toppled the weakening Munster dynasty.

Máel Muad died in the Battle of Belach Lechta, but both sides took heavy losses. Brian being smart allied with Máel Muads son Cian mac Máelmuaid. He let Cian marry his daughter, Sadb and adopted him as one of his own sons bestowing his dead Brothers name Mahon (Bear) on Cian and keeping him very close to him as a valuable ally.

Cian was quite renowned in Ireland at that time as a great and wise leader in his own right:
    "Cian of the golden cups. His prestige as having held high command at Clontarf, his boundless generosity, his profuse hospitality, his tall sature and striking figure, the chief who never turned his steps backwards in battle".

Cian fought with Brian in every battle up to Brians death in the famous Battle of Clontarf where Cian with his personal force of 3000 was in charge of and lead the central division of Brians forces against the mixed Danish / Leinster central division of the Vikings -- He's identified as Kerthialfad from Njals saga. Brians famous son Murchard commanded the right hand division which faced against the leinster Danes. sides were divided into 3 divisions:

The Irish:
    Left was Connaught and other men of the west.
    Middle was the kingdoms of Munster
    Right was the Dál gCais of Munster.

The Viking:
    Left was the mail clad Danish Vikings of Leinster
    Middle was the Irish of Leinster and Danish Vikings.
    Right was the Dublin Vikings.

The battle was very grusome too, because the Vikings became trapped due to the tide many drowned. The battle raged for a long time and it was said that every soldiers spears and weapons were congealed with blood and hair, the strong wind threw blood everywhere. At the end of it people were barely recognizable because they were covered nearly head to toe in blood

I guess none of that means anything to other people but I found it pretty damn cool to read about!

Availability is too low, as it stands there is practically no cavalry available to Ireland.
    And there really should be more, even the smallest of mini kingdoms within Ireland had on hand 60+ horses. Cian, who was in Desmond, the south of Munster had a personal bodyguard of 300 horses which went to meet him at the beginning of each day The Irish primarily used infantry, much like the Saxons and Vikings. However, cavalry was also used aggressively in some battles and was most certainly more common than is being depicted in the recruitment availability in the mod at the moment

Would be great to see some additions for ireland too:

It would be good to see Leinster as a small faction within Ireland as they were powerful enough and allied themselves with the Vikings. Also, you could add a Gallóglach as mercenary units one with a sword and shield and one with 2 handed axes and one with spears (Please don't use the vanilla model! )

"They wore "saffron coloured shirts" with wide sleaves called a leine croich. They also had quilted tunics to wear under armor (aketon). Bare legged or wearing hose or wrappings on their legs. Leather shoes about ankle high in most cases or barefoot. Rough hairy triangular cloaks called "brats" for some. Armor wise, they were heavilly armoured usually and large in stature. With mail coats down to the calf of the leg (luireach). A coif of mail sometimes or a mantle to protect the neck. A steel skull cap, basonnets or dome spanglehelms (clogad, cathbharr or cuinnbeirt) usually conical in shape but varied or a face covering steel helmet it was also practiced to attach mail to the bottom of their helmets to protect their face / necks. And armed with a abnormally long (some 6 foot long) double handed axe (tuagh / spar) primarilly. However they also had swords and shields and spears.

They weren't very standardized equiptment wise but they mostly had the knee length mail shirts which they would hire as part of their mercanry deal which would be worn over a quilted shirt which they all wore. They were always keeping on the cutting edge of elite armor technollogy of europe. There's an excellent Osprey book on Gallowglass which could give you inspiration for models. Here's one going wild with an axe:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also it would be good to see a native irish double handed axe unit of decent skill. Double handed axes were widely used in battles by the better troops, especially against vikings clad in mail. Perhaps similar to the gaelic swordsman, a gaelic axeman?

Maybe you'd want to add these Munster names of kings and nobility of the period to the game?

Descr_names.txt:

First Names:
    Brian_Boruma
    Cellachan_Caisil
    Cenn_Faelad_hua_Mugthigirn
    Cian
    Cormac
    Dub_da_Bairenn
    Dub_Lachtna
    Dunchad
    Dungal
    Donnchad
    Fer_Graid
    Finguine_Cenn_nGecan
    Flaithbertach
    Lorcan
    Mael_Fathardaig
    Mael_Muad
    Mahon
    Mathgamain
    Murchad

Surnames:
    Mac_Brain
    Mac_Brian
    Mac_Buadachain
    Mac_Cellachain
    Mac_Cennetig
    Mac_Cian
    Mac_Clerig
    Mac_Cuilennain
    Mac_Coinlígain
    Mac_Domnaill
    Mac_Duib_da_Bairenn
    Mac_Flainn
    Mac_Inmainén
    Mac_Loegairi
    Mac_Maele_Gualae
    Mac_Maelfothartaig_Hua_Donnchada
    Mac_Maelmuaid
    Mac_Mahon

Names.Txt:

{Brian_Boruma}Brian Bóruma
    {Cellachan_Caisil}Cellachán Caisil
    {Cenn_Faelad_hua_Mugthigirn}Cenn Fáelad hua Mugthigirn
    {Cian}Cian
    {Cormac}Cormac
    {Dub_da_Bairenn}Dub-dá-Bairenn
    {Dub_Lachtna}Dub Lachtna
    {Dunchad}Dúnchad
    {Dungal}Dúngal
    {Donnchad}Donnchad
    {Fer_Graid}Fer Gráid
    {Finguine_Cenn_nGecan}Finguine Cenn nGécan
    {Flaithbertach}Flaithbertach
    {Lorcan}Lorcán
    {Mac_Brain}Mac Brain
    {Mac_Brian}Mac Brian
    {Mac_Buadachain}Mac Buadacháin
    {Mac_Cellachain}Mac Cellacháin
    {Mac_Cennetig}Mac Cennétig
    {Mac_Cian}Mac Cian
    {Mac_Clerig}Mac Clérig
    {Mac_Cuilennain}Mac Cuilennáin
    {Mac_Coinlígain}Mac Coinlígáin
    {Mac_Domnaill}Mac Domnaill
    {Mac_Duib_da_Bairenn}Mac Duib-dá-Bairenn
    {Mac_Flainn}Mac Flainn
    {Mac_Inmainén}Mac Inmainén
    {Mac_Loegairi}Mac Loégairi
    {Mac_Maele_Gualae}Mac Máele Gualae
    {Mac_Maelfothartaig_Hua_Donnchada}Mac Máelfothartaig Hua Donnchada
    {Mac_Maelmuaid}Mac Máelmuaid
    {Mac_Mahon}Mac Mahon
    {Mael_Fathardaig}Máel Fathardaig
    {Mael_Muad}Mael Muad
    {Mahon}Mahon
    {Mathgamain}Mathgamain
    {Murchad}Murchad
    Last edited by evulclown; March 01, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
    [BsA] ZEE BISHOP [HM]

I credit you for attempting to get the history accurate, rather than just giving them a kilt and a big two-handed weapon and letting them have at it, but the gallowglasses came about a thousand years after this time period. And no riastradh? You could have had so much fun designing those crackpots, don't tell me you're gonna let all that potential go to waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallogladh View Post
    I credit you for attempting to get the history accurate, rather than just giving them a kilt and a big two-handed weapon and letting them have at it, but the gallowglasses came about a thousand years after this time period. And no riastradh? You could have had so much fun designing those crackpots, don't tell me you're gonna let all that potential go to waste?
    Where are the kilt and where are the two-handed sword or gallowglasses?

Thank you for not including kilts or two-handed swords. It's what every other mod on this era has done, and that they're not in this one is a welcome relief

You've put gallowglasses in under the name of tuamornaghta. I know that this isn't supposed to be too historical, but that really sticks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallogladh View Post
    You've put gallowglasses in under the name of tuamornaghta. I know that this isn't supposed to be too historical, but that really sticks out.
    In this case every two handed axe's units are galowglasses (in ireland) ...

beautiful work on the irish units but i wont play them dont like factions that are all lightly armoured

Cannot wait to give this a go, looks fantastic!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456