Thread: MedTW AI

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Default MedTW AI

I haven't played MedTW, but many people point to this game as having the best AI. How true is this, compared to Rome and Med2?

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: MedTW AI

Very true. Extremely true. Super true.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Actually, I would say that Shogun's AI is the best overall, but Medieval does come in a very close second.

The AI in Medieval 2, while a little better than in Rome, still doesn't compare to STW/MTW.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Icon3 Re: MedTW AI

The battle A.I. in M:TW understands formations, flanking, height advantage, missile fire, can set and search for ambushes (at higher difficulty levels). It has got its quirks, and an experienced player has little problem defeating it at equal odds, but you can't afford many mistakes. It's not the best tactical A.I. in a game, but it's close.

The campaign A.I. on the other hand is not particularly good. However, because the campaign map is simpler than R:TW's, it does perform better. This one too has its quirks, some of which can be annoying (pointless naval wars, papal distraction exploits), but I think the strategic game more fun and challenging than vanilla R:TW's. The main problem is that it tends to spend too little on economic development and goes bankrupt rather often. There is small mod available to combat this. I can't find the link right now, but is WesW's MedMod v2 (he also made v3 and v4 which are even more challenging, but are also total conversion mods).

I realize that the campaign AI for M2TW/RTW can never be anywhere near as good as the MTW campaign AI because the map is so much more complex. However, the battle AI is unacceptable. After all, they could have just just copied the old one! I miss being suprised by the AI's intelligence every now and then in MTW. Now I'm suprised by its stupidity in every battle in M2TW.
    Last edited by Azim; November 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM.

Dominion of the Sword, a Medieval II: Total War Supermod
    Under the patronage of Archaon. Proud member of the House of Siblesz
    My friend died from chain letters. If you don't post this again 100 times, he will come and kill you in your sleep!

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Without a doubt its miles ahead of Rome and MILLENNIA ahead of m2tw