Thread: English Civil War movie

Default English Civil War movie

Video clips from the movie "To Kill A King".

The story of Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell during the English Civil War.

I've just seen this movie on cable TV and i should say its rather good
    Its possible it might give you a better (and real life) look of that age

Default Re: English Civil War movie

does this portray any of the battles well?

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Thanks. I had never even heard of this movie. I'll be checking it out ASAP.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    does this portray any of the battles well?
    No. It focuses on the relationship between Fairfax and Cromwell from the "end" of the First Civil War through the execution of Charles and the creation of the Protectorate (and slightly beyond). Very well done movie which I've thoroughly enjoyed. It's one of those DVDs that stay near the top of pile because I rewatch it about once a month.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

the best one for battles would be the 1970s movie cromwell?

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    the best one for battles would be the 1970s movie cromwell?
    not really,although a good movie historicaly its rubbish. there was a film with gerald depardiu (spelt wrong im sure!) set during the 30 years war which showed infantry very well,but i cant remember its title for the life of me.

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Thanks. I had never even heard of this movie. I'll be checking it out ASAP.

Cheers
    It a really good film, Im not sure about the historical accuracy but I like the way it protrays the problems that the kingless government faced and the gradual hatred that builds up between Cromwell and Fairfax.
    Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

I think that the uniforms are also noteworthy

The movie Cromwell is historically terrible but I enjoy watching it. Richard Harris is excellent as Cromwell and Alec Guiness Guiness is a highly believable Charles.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Although these movies are good in some aspects do not take any of the as a serious historical reference - they tend to be wildly innacurate in that department...

Quote Originally Posted by leonn View Post
    not really,although a good movie historicaly its rubbish. there was a film with gerald depardiu (spelt wrong im sure!) set during the 30 years war which showed infantry very well,but i cant remember its title for the life of me.
    The movie you're talking about is Cyrano de Bergerac, I believe.

Cyrano de Bergerac - will find the english version. french with subtitles will not bother me either though

Finally got a chance to watch "To Kill a King".

It's a fairly decent movie and I enjoyed watching it. It sets the mood of the time and the acting is pretty good.

However I really didn't like Tim Roth's portrayal of Cromwell. The movie makes cromwell look like some kind of angry, despised, talentless and evil little man. Very little is made of his military skills, achievements or fiery passionate personality.

Cheers