Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Galerius

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninius/Galerius

We shall need the economic report for that, because it seems that unless we empty all our cities of their garrisons, we will not have enough troops to take on Rhegion while Scribonius is occupied with Taras. If the economy isn't too bad, we can train more soldiers, but if it is failing, or our treasury is miniscule, I'm afraid we shall have to leave that task until Scibonius has captured Taras.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

This is true. Therefore the gathering of this economic information should be our very first priority.

(The Quaestor can use the save copy in the "save thread', I don't think things have changed much)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Senators, while we need information in order to respond to the world we must see our priorities.
    Our first Legion has been committed to battle, we have no funds for new soldiers, or so I believe, and we have no soldiers in our cities to form a second Legion. Thus our Qaestor must report to us, Taras must be taken and all this must be done swiftly.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Julius Licinius Aurelius, the Plebeian Quaestor, makes his way into the Curia to attend the requests made by the Senators during the debate on the war with Epirus.

I shall have a complete report prepared until tommorrow, I hope. It is currently in the works based on the information we could gather from the local aerarii.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

"Excellent news Quaestor. Hopefully your data will allow us to make an educated decision on how to proceed. Now if you senators will excuse me I have a case to preside over. Triple murder, nasty business. I will return tomorrow and based on the economic data hopefully we can come to a conclusion on Rhegium and perhaps even sketch out an outline for improving our infrastructure in the future."

The Praetor stands and leaves the senate house, collecting his lictors at the door.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Gaius Octavius stands.

"I agree with you senators.We must wait until we get the report.But we must take southern Italy as soon as possible because our enemies can still land troops there."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Consul and senators of Rome.
    I have the results from the battle of Taras. As much as we outnumberred them 2 - 1 they still had the advantage of being better equipped and better trained than our men.
    Many of those recruited were green troops and it showed in their way of manouveres.

After taking the gate and a fierce battle to gain entry to the town the last units retreated to the town square. Moving along the filthy alleys we made our way there and soon were engrossed in battle once again. This time they fought to the death.

So there you have it. I would have preferred an alternate resolution to this battle but here it is. The town is yours and with it a small fortune to boost the treasury. I hope you are satisfied with the way it was handled. I am now leaving the south and heading to my estates outside of Rome to await your decision on my actions as consul and leader of the Republic.

Finally, Taras has been taken! congratulations to the Senator for his belated victory.

Considering the opposition and the new men you had in the battle, I am satisfied with this result, the Roman soldiers who have fallen in battle must be honored. The Consul has met with the requirements of his mission, though it took more time than preferred, and he did not present a report quick enough which caused discontent in the senate.
    But senatores, the former Consul has gained us a victory, a new city, and has done as we asked of him.
    Congratulations.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Yes I agree Consul. The former Consul has, albeit belatedly, completed his mission. And, I would note, with an extraordinarily low loss of life considering the level of opponent he was up against! Therefore, I suggest that we welcome him back into the senate with open arms! Well done Consular Scribonius!

Now however senators, it would be in our best interest to start thinking about diverting some of those troops to tackle the rebel infestation in southern Italy. If no one else would volunteer, I would lead a praetorian army to take Rhegion should the senate ask me.

There is indeed joy to be found in this news. Congratulations to the former Consul on a splendid victory. May he be welcome back to Rome with all our previous accusations dropped.

I believe Lepidus would be an excellent choice to lead our troops to victory at Rhegion. He has my full support.

And mine as well!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Senators, in light of the recent successes in the South, I propose a motion to give consular Scribonius a Triumph for his victory against the Epirotes.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

While his success is indeed great and he has performed well i do not think he has earned a triumph.

This is due to him using a lot of time getting it done, and leaving the senate in the dark about what was going on.

I would agree to a lesser reward.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I do not agree with a triumph to senator Scribonius,or a lesser reward.He will get a triumph when he has won alot more battles than he has now.I suggest giving him some kind of a...financial reward.

And Senator Lepidus,you have my support as well,you are an excellent military commander."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Lucius Scribonius deserves at most an ovation. He has not fulfilled the requirements needed to be rewarded a triumph.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Galerius

Ovations are reserved for victories over lesser foes, such as rebels or disorganized enemies. Scribonius fought a nation, but he failed to accomplish the task quickly enough for the senate. Perhaps if in the future the Consular should show such terrific command ability again, I would support such a measure.

Caius slowly shakes his head.

I am afraid, senator, I cannot support the measure to award Scribonius a triumph. The way in which he handled his campaign is not laudable and should not be looked to as an example for future generals.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would ask the senate again, shall we divert some soldiers to create a force to take Rhegion? If so, how many?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast