Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Virus Message Helpdesk] Chivalry II : SV 3.x False-Positive Virus Fix

Default [Virus Message Helpdesk] Chivalry II : SV 3.x False-Positive Virus Fix

This is a fix for those getting false-positive virus alerts on the launcher.

Just unzip into your Mods/SicilianVespers folder.

Updated 08/03/2010:
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; August 03, 2010 at 01:29 PM.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: virus in 3.0 exe?

nope

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi,

No, I don't think It's a virus.

My scanner (a2 free) has found the exe installation is a trojan because It contains a launcher without company's name.

Then, my decision has been : NO to delete this file.

Some scanners (like a2) are very sensible but the final decision is taken by you.

That's all !!

My current anti virus, Norton 360 2.0 says : It's OK, no virus, no trojan.

So, I'm quiet.

Have fun with this great mod !
    Last edited by loet66; September 24, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: precision : trojan instead virus

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

I've not such occurences. Must be an application-issue on your computers side.

Some scanners (like a2) are very sensible but the final decision is taken by you.
    I would rather say "Some scanners are just bad and can't detect viruses properly and thus they show files as viruses that aren't viruses" lol ... my opinion at least.

But, of course, if a system is bugged with viruses, then it can happen that you pull viruses with downloads anyway ... this has nothing to do with the dl'ed file itself.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 24, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

If it depends on vista every thing running on C drive is virrus

I am going to try a new compiler this weekend. So hopefully, I will have this eliminated for the patch.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)

Patrician Artifex

I've to take everything back what i said in post 4.
    My system found a trojan: TR/Gendal.74240 in the SV.exe, as i started today my pc, this after a yesterday's Anti-Virus program update.

I found though no info about this trojan. So it is not certain that it is a real malware.

I'm not sure how it is possible, but it seems that the SV.exe is a target for some kinds of viruses, in the way that they jump on it if you browse in the net. I need to scan my system obviously.

SV, did you mean above, that you will create a new kind of exe that avoids such virus attacks?
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I've to take everything back what i said in post 4.
    My system found a trojan: TR/Gendal.74240 in the SV.exe, as i started today my pc, this after a yesterday's Anti-Virus program update.

I found though no info about this trojan. So it is not certain that it is a real malware.

I'm not sure how it is possible, but it seems that the SV.exe is a target for some kinds of viruses, in the way that they jump on it if you browse in the net. I need to scan my system obviously.

SV, did you mean above, that you will create a new kind of exe that avoids such virus attacks?

These are the false positives I am seeing:

If there was a virus in the exe, it would be consistent across all platforms. I personally use Avast, so haven't had any problems.

I submitted it to a site that was supposed to let the AV companies know it was a false positive, so that may be the reason for your hit.

I am still ooking for a new compiler to fix this....
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; September 28, 2008 at 08:04 AM.

loet66's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by SicilianVespers View Post
    I recompiled the menu, I need players that were getting the false positives to test.

Just unzip into your Mods/SicilianVespers folder.
    Hi,

Ok : it works and no Trojan here (file scanned by a2 free which has found previous trojan in the launcher).

Please, re-upload V3.0 (and maybe the patch or at least a hotfix...)

Thanks !
    Last edited by loet66; September 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: precision about my scanner

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by loet66 View Post
    Hi,

Ok : it works and no Trojan here (file scanned by a2 free which has found previous trojan in the launcher).

Please, re-upload V3.0 (and maybe the patch or at least a hotfix...)

Thanks !
    That was quick, SV

Loet, the launcher above is then the hotfix for this issue. SV will certainly add this hotfix quick to the 3.0 release thread.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 28, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Works perfect

For everybody:

If you wanna fix the launcher by yourself instantly, do the following:

- Copy and unzip the launcher fix, file post 9.
    - Put the unzipped launcher.exe into your SV 3.0 folder (the modfolder SicilianVespers in the "mods" folder).
    - Create in the usual way a desktop shortcut from this new launcher.
    - Delete the old launcher and shortcut.
    (- Eventually check the path of the shortcut, if it is the correct one: open properties of the shortcut and you'll see the both path lines*. You could also copy the old path's of the former shortcut, before you've deleted this old shortcut).

* Shortcut path example (in my installation on hd partition F):
    "F:\Programme\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\SicilianVespers\Launch_SicilianVespers.exe"
    and below
    "F:\Programme\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\SicilianVespers"
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 28, 2008 at 01:13 PM.

Default Re: virus in 3.0 exe? EDIT: Is Fixed!

I believe the shortcut will still work when you replace the exe.

Patrician Artifex

Oh yes, you are probably right.

Strange only, in my case, as i clicked on the old shortcut it took more time before i could open it (to check properties), so i just removed it as i thought it could be corrupted in a way.

I just downloaded your mod, and scanned it, no viruses found, but when i installed it my Mcafee found trojan at the beginning when installing and removed it (sicilianvespers.exe), that why game did not launch, tried installing second time and same thing happened....

I think there might not be trojan, but to be sure i downloaded your zip file, thanks for it

New version of the Launcher in post # 1

Sticked the thread ... temporary /DV
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; November 08, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: Chivalry II : SV 3.x False-Positive Virus Fix

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: [Helpdesk] Chivalry II : SV 3.x False-Positive Virus Fix

Thread opened to avoid single threads about the issue in the title.

Anybody with such issues, please report here, after you have considered the posts in this thread.

I think you need to re-upload this since when i installed right at the beginning a trojan warning came.

And the trojan was in the launcher i downloaded that file of yours and it hasn't detected anything, but still i think you should re-upload this or a new version.

E: The Trojan was named Win32/dunik!rts/ i think.
    Last edited by Rtw; January 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

It's not a real virus, it's just flagged as such by alot of AV programs because I compile the menu myself.

I will be switching back to a bat file, because it's not worth all the hassle. I will just include a backup copy in the mod, just in case players break it by tinkering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast