Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bug Reports (0.5)

Default Bug Reports (0.5)

Aeoleron's Bug Guide

We're getting a lot of bug reports that I cannot reproduce at all. I can only guess that the problem is on their end, so I wrote up a bug checklist. Did I miss anything? I'm completely new with this debugging business.

Regarding bugs and crashes

1. Make sure you are patched to M2TW 1.2/1.3. Kingdoms is compatible but not necessary. The mod is made by and intended for English versions, we have not tested it on any other language versions so it's not guaranteed to work if you're not using English.

2. Make sure you can play the original game. We can hardly help you if it's a hardware issue.

3. Make sure you followed the installation instructions correctly. Make sure your download wasn't corrupted or damaged(usually the extracting software will inform you when you open the file)

4. Make sure no original file has been modified/changed. If you have other mods installed and are having problems playing W:TW, you can try uninstalling them. If the mod doesn't come with an installer/uninstaller, you may have to reinstall the whole game.

If you checked through the list and still encounter any bugs or errors, go to Medieval II Total War/logs and post the error log in the bug reporting thread, either by attaching the entire file or copying it into spoiler tags.

6. If you don't want to wait for a solution, you can try reinstalling the game and re-downloading the mod.

The mod comes in a "Westeros 0.5 Beta" folder. Cut and paste the contents of this folder (rather than the folder itself) into the Medieval II root folder, normally C:/Program Files/Sega/Medieval II Total War/ . Run by clicking on "Westeros.bat". This mod is Kingdoms-compatible, but should not be placed in a Kingdoms mod folder. CTD's which are unreproducible on other people's PCs are probably caused by
    - incorrect installation (files in wrong folders)
    - unpatched versions of the game
    - third party mods
    - messing with the vanilla files
    Last edited by stormbringer951; September 27, 2008 at 04:04 PM.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Default Re: Bug Reports (0.5)

Are trebuchets(sp) supposed to be able to deploy stakes? Just a question, not sure if it is a bug or not.

playing as the Starks my first battle, attacking burrowtown. It gets all the way to were the battle map is starting show show then says "encountered unknown error" and crashes to desktop. I have attached the error log (hopefully)

Ok so I did some more testing. if I auto resolve it goes fine but I tried to attack Burrowtown again and The DreadFort and each time the game CTD. I then tried an army to army battle and the game crashed there too. So its something with loading the battle map
    Last edited by The Hound; September 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM.
    The Hound

We got something similar to this before, any battles with venetian heavy infantry in it will crash. Do you remember what units were involved in that battle? Both yours and the rebels. Would help us locate what unit is at fault.

Well with attacking Barrowtown I have noticed I dont need to fight the battle. (no rebels in the town). So I haven't run into the crash issue.

ONe question for the custom battles the Starks have seargent spearmen, but they are transparent. Are they going to be skinned and added to the roster later? Noticed the same thing when playing as Stannis and Renly, with the unskinned units.(they look kinda cool though)

Oh, yeah. Our skinners didn't get round to that, and I can't work out how to resolve the issue (it comes from not having faction skins for that unit). aeoleron?

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

As sergeant spearmen wasn't meant to be in the Stark roster from the start, I guess the best solution is to remove them from Stark ownership. It's already gone in campaign, so before we release a fix, just avoid using them in custom battles.

Ok, this is not a bug, but merely an minor inconsistency. The description of the retinue Crown of Westeros says that the faction leader of House Joffrey controls King's Landing, even though he may not do so . He also has the trait King on the Iron throne. I'm not sure if this inconsistency is also present with Stannis and Renly, and I don't know what else you can put there, but I thought I'd tell you nonetheless.

Another minor fault is that a paragraph of Jamie's biography appears twice.
    Last edited by Radagast; September 23, 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Ok. Sounds good. I did notice that when i do use them my game still runs normally, so no crashes or errors.

Will the Northern Archers stats be increassed? I thught they were supposed to be longbows?(as discussed in other threads)

There are no unit card pics of the Stark units when buying unts, as well as battles, still scottish. Is that right or did I not install something correctly?

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKiller2000 View Post
    Well with attacking Barrowtown I have noticed I dont need to fight the battle. (no rebels in the town). So I haven't run into the crash issue.

ONe question for the custom battles the Starks have seargent spearmen, but they are transparent. Are they going to be skinned and added to the roster later? Noticed the same thing when playing as Stannis and Renly, with the unskinned units.(they look kinda cool though)
    that's strange, i'm already standing for Kingslanding with a huge force lead by my king Robb, but i cant build sergeant spearman:hmmm:
    Also, something strange happened on turn 16 or so:

King of History's Avatar Protector Domesticus

mabye i'm the only one with this problem but i followed all the directions and when i click on the bat it brings up the loading screen which lasts for 2 or 3 seconds and then ctd's........any ideas?

@ aeoleron....i'll have to check tonight to see which units are in the battle for all three instances. Off the top of my head I would say the only unit in all three armies was the spearmen but cant be sure. My internet went down last night and wont be fixed until tomorrow. When I get home tonight I will check the units and post tomorrow the line up for each of the three generals tomorrow when I get back to work.
    The Hound

I'm not sure if it is a bug or not, I saw the city "The Twins" control by the "english rebels"
    Last edited by Ozfrog; September 23, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

King of History, any other mods besides this? Can you still play the original game? Also, post up your error log via the instructions in the beta thread.

On turn 30 or so, no CTDs or anything. But nitpick is that the Greyjoy ironmen unit has Stark men at arms skins. Kinda confusing when you are Stark trying to fend off ironborn raids...

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

A patch is on the way to place starting armies on the map and solve the Ironmen units using the Stark skins. And some other stuff.
    I'm not sure if it is a bug or not, I saw the city "The Twins" control by the "english rebels"
    You're correct. The rebels have been neglected so far.

WarriorMusician's Avatar Foederatus

Whenever I try to start the game with the bat file it just loads Vanilla MTW2. I followed the instal directions to the letter. I am running the latest version of Stainless Steel, but it is confined to its own mod folder.

The mod extracts to a Westeros Beta folder. Cut everything out of this folder and paste into Medieval II root folder. So there is

/data
    /Westeros...
    /westeros.cfg
    /westeros.bat

PS: make sure you backup files, as the mod will copy over some files...

WarriorMusician's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks! I'll give a try after work.

Edit: I've got it running now. Thanks for the help! All of your time and effort is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by WarriorMusician; September 24, 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer951 View Post
    The mod extracts to a Westeros Beta folder. Cut everything out of this folder and paste into Medieval II root folder. So there is

/data
    /Westeros...
    /westeros.cfg
    /westeros.bat
    But if you copy and paste the folder "Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA/data" into the root folder you lose the original "/data"-folder, which is over 4 gb. Does the game still function when all those files are gone? I copied the folders within the "Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA/data"-folder into the original "/data"-folder, so that I kept both files.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast