Thread: [discussion] What makes a good community RPG?

Icon3 [discussion] What makes a good community RPG?

Heya all,

I've decided to post this here, as most of the community RPGs are located here as well (at the moment).

So I'd like to gain ideas, suggestions about how to run a damn good, fun and thrilling community RPG based on a TW game.
    I would be delighted to hear the tips of experienced players.

The reason behind this, that I am running the Carthage multiplayer RPG,and I'd like to avoid the rookie mistakes I could make, meanwhile profit from your experiences to create an amusing adventure for all players. I have already participated in some community projects, but I feel still new to this whole joint gaming.

Just say it, whatever's on your mind. I'd appreciate it your help.
    Last edited by Aldgarkalaughskel; September 22, 2008 at 05:16 AM.

Default Re: What makes a good community RPG?

I say goodluck and remember your players are always right!
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Don't make the rules to strict. Keep it a community. But don't be too kind on one person. Remmember to keep it challenging as well as fun, and try to get as much challenge and real skill involved as possible. But don't copy our brilliant ideas either !

Thanks for your replies.

I meant to which extent is character background, Rping etc. important in a TW game?

Depends on the kind of game you want to play and to what purpose you want to use the RP, if you have a game that revolves around the hotseat, then keep the RP low and use it in the campaign.
    If you do something like Yats, where the RP is the focus, and the campaign is also important but is used to further the RP, then place that first.
    I think it depends on your outlook, and the players, I am a member of Yats (short while only, but still) and there the RP is important and I like to make a stand with my character.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The importance of role playing is really dependent on what you want out of the game. If you want it to be a more battle oriented, fast paced experience, you'd opt for less, while more roleplay can create new depths of historical accuracy. Unfortunately if you focus to much on the roleplaying element the actual campaign can suffer, and things may not advance like you may like them too.

Something I always try to do is involve the membership in big decsions concerning yats. If you just make all the important choices yourself, people may loose the sense that they are part of a community and feel instead they are being lead, which isn't such a good thing for this kind of rpg. You need to be able to make quick or important decisions yourself, but remember that you also should open some up to a vote.

Stability is also important in an rpg. If your game is running strong, there's no need to shake things up. If you need a transition peroid or a new idea, try to get it up and running as soon as you can. That way you can be sure you'll attract new members faster and keep your old ones on.

The biggest and most important thing I could tell you is don't go into this expecting it to be easy. Running an RPG/group AAR is very taxing, and takes up a lot of time. You'll need some trustworthy and responsible people to moderate your forum for you while you take care of everyone's issues, and there will be a lot to take care of. You'll also be the first to hear and evaluate every new idea, as well as the first person everyone goes to for technical help or advice. You'll open elections (if your game has that) which can take up to a half an hour in of itself, and set ground rules for debates, as well as a number of other things.

Running these RPG's is a thankless (outside of a few members), dirty job, but it can be very rewarding, and I wish you luck with yours. If you need any help getting started I'd be glad to lend a hand.
    Last edited by Winter; September 22, 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

@Selifator: You're right. I think we'll do an action-orintated, fast-paced campaign (fast-paced in terms of community rpg *lol*), so the best kind of Rping would be between actual characters from the campaign.

@Winter: thanks for your reply too, it was very instructive. I think keeping the number of participants low could actually hasten the campaign and this way the organization would be much more effective and less time-consuming, but I may be wrong. Involving players and making decisions together is also a good point, and I think we've already managed to figure out a way to do that.

Don't try to share power. be the final say. Of course listen to input, but don't be reliant on it.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Actually though from what I've seen of your organizing skill in the aar competitions and your enthusiasm I have to say I think you'll do well.

From my experience it is good to draw from a wide base of ideas, but at the end of the day there has to be one person making final decisions. Most of the time cooperating and trying to incorporate a little bit of everyone's ideas is a bad thing, and will lead to failure. (TFT episode 1)

If micromanagement is achieved, however, it can be a good experience and well run. Of course the leader of such an endeavor should be magnanimous in the powers he lets the subordinates exercise, but he should have veto power and final authority.

Icon1 Re: What makes a good community RPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Actually though from what I've seen of your organizing skill in the aar competitions and your enthusiasm I have to say I think you'll do well.
    Thanks, I'm trying to make my best.

Quote Originally Posted by _Pontifex_ View Post
    From my experience it is good to draw from a wide base of ideas, but at the end of the day there has to be one person making final decisions. Most of the time cooperating and trying to incorporate a little bit of everyone's ideas is a bad thing, and will lead to failure. (TFT episode 1)

If micromanagement is achieved, however, it can be a good experience and well run. Of course the leader of such an endeavor should be magnanimous in the powers he lets the subordinates exercise, but he should have veto power and final authority.
    Well, in the first few turns I gained plenty of experience, it was quite amusing too. As I developed most of the ideas, it is not difficult to incorporate them. I do agree with you about the decision-making, however sharing in-game power can be the most fun thing to do, meanwhile making decisions out-of-the-game (like rules etc.) is only for the effectiveness and quality output of the game.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should open every decision to the membership. However, if you have a decision that doesn't need to be made immediately or that will seriously change things up, its a good thing to get the member's opinion on it first.

Default Re: [discussion] What makes a good community RPG?

I brought back this thread from the TFT archive, maybe we could revive it.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Me out of it...look what I have done to GSTK,LFTN,YATS,ECW and ISRV...

The RPG's need less of people like me and more people like Carl and Caradog...

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Domesticus

Don't spam

-Winter
    Last edited by Winter; December 06, 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Sometimes both sides are wrong. Unfortunately most people do not understand this and argue endlessly.