Thread: Some budgeting questions?

Default Some budgeting questions?

While I have only started with the Romans, the armies that one starts with can quickly overwhelm the state's cashflow. My first reaction is to grab up a couple rebel settlements to increase my cashflow, bu this also stretches my armies too thin, does anyone junk some of their high maintenance units to bring balance to the buget?

Default Re: Some budgeting questions?

I never had any major cash flow problems playing as Rome. I can always conquer myself out of any problems. Besides, as long are your armies aren't all Principes, you should have a very strong economy.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Roman economy starts a bit slow though, and the roman units are quite expensive to maintain. i still think it's uncomparable to e.g. the macedonian economy, where it's hard to keep your finances under control (in the good way). I don't send any units home with Rome, but I definitely do so with Carthage and the Seleucids - horses mainly, too much money for too little gain ....

Quote Originally Posted by Delvecchio1975 View Post
    Roman economy starts a bit slow though, and the roman units are quite expensive to maintain. i still think it's uncomparable to e.g. the macedonian economy, where it's hard to keep your finances under control (in the good way). I don't send any units home with Rome, but I definitely do so with Carthage and the Seleucids - horses mainly, too much money for too little gain ....
    When I start the game as rome I am in the hole over 2,000/denarii a turn, having not purchased any units or buildings. Given that you only start out with 11,000 denarii to begin with that leaves only over five turns to turn your economy profitable.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Casusbelli07 View Post
    When I start the game as rome I am in the hole over 2,000/denarii a turn, having not purchased any units or buildings. Given that you only start out with 11,000 denarii to begin with that leaves only over five turns to turn your economy profitable.
    Done systematically, besieging each town in turn, you can take Arretium and Ariminum in 4 turns, which will make you break even. Disband the triarii beforehand for an extra 1050d per turn, which will allow you to retrain your forces when the return from the northern expedition. Then turn your attention to Corfinium and Paestum, which will give you a 2000d per turn profit, enough to start building and retrain. Once you've disposed of Pyrrhus' main army in Corfinium, the rest of Italy will be a walkover, which will net you 5000d profit per turn.