Thread: Will it ever be possible to have flying units on TW?

Default Will it ever be possible to have flying units on TW?

Title says it all.

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Default Re: Will it ever be possible to have flying units on TW?

Yes, if you can create the model, skeleton, and animations for such units.

Adding a 3rd dimension to the battle-map would make the game very complicated, and as we have all seen, the AI is already struggling to handle 2 dimensions with 3d models/animations.
    Plus, flying units would only be *necessary* in a modern era game, the "principles" of which would be quite different than the ones TW games so far are based on, because the type of warfare is fundamentally different. I don't think TW style is 'compatible' with this sort of gameplay.

So, I'd say no.

Talking about actual flying units, not regular ones that only look like flying.
    Last edited by Aradan; September 25, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Its possible,There was aflying Carpet Unit they just made the Elephant Model not visible and it looked like it was flying

Busy!!!

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

As has already been said, if you have a good enough modeler who is also a brilliant animator, you can give the impression that a unit is flying. You can't actually make them fly though, which implies altitude changes separate from the attack animation, and the ability to go over structures rather than keeping to pathfinding.

The best example of a flying unit is the Nazgul in wlesmana's Lord of the Rings: Total War modification, which actually does a fairly good job of looking real, but of course still hits the engine limits, such as being stopped at the gates by an invisible wall, and following the path through buildings.

Cheers,
    Augustus

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    As has already been said, if you have a good enough modeler who is also a brilliant animator, you can give the impression that a unit is flying. You can't actually make them fly though, which implies altitude changes separate from the attack animation, and the ability to go over structures rather than keeping to pathfinding.

The best example of a flying unit is the Nazgul in wlesmana's Lord of the Rings: Total War modification, which actually does a fairly good job of looking real, but of course still hits the engine limits, such as being stopped at the gates by an invisible wall, and following the path through buildings.

Cheers,
    Augustus
    And being hit by melee units while seemingly flying high over them.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Ah. I understand. I guess there really isn't much of a need for them, seeing as Total War is historically accurate and dosen't go ahead of 1900's (or at least I hope they wont).

I was just thinking about dragons and such.

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

The flying carpet was my work, and yes, it was an elephant. Despite the fact I can't model. Or animate.

Adding a third dimension would not necessarily be necessary if the engine were designed correctly; AOEIII/AOM has no z axis at all but has tons of fliers - they just hover at a set height. If it were possible to have units hovering it could work...
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

I think they're also a mod with flying dragons. Can't remember if it's LOTR or FATW or some other fantasy mod.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

It's LotR-TW, it has "flying" Fellbeasts. Great animations.