Thread: Weird Hoplite Animations?

Warmaker's Avatar Semisalis

Default Weird Hoplite Animations?

Firstly, I used the ExRM v3.3.3 installer from here.

I've been toying a bit with custom battles before finally trying out a Greek Cities campaign. I noticed the Hoplites have weird fighting animations. They hold their spears underhanded like all other spearmen, but what happens alot is that these spears would be held in a 45 degree or almost 90 degree up position, even when they're supposed to be thrusting at the enemy.

I decided to line up every "Hoplite" I could dig up on custom battles from the Roman and Greek rosters and see which do this and which do not, but they all do.

Is this animation intentional? It looks awfully weird for them to "punch" an opponent with the non-pointy end of the spear.
    Rome
    PARCERE SUBIECTIS ET DEBELLARE SUPERBOS
    To spare the conquered and overcome the proud in war - Virgil, on Roman destiny

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Weird Hoplite Animations?

i think it's because they're on the second (45degr) or third line (90degr). even though their buddy on the line before them got killed, they don't move a line to the front, but stay on their own line ...

Wien1938's Avatar Miles

It's probably a hang-over from Hoplites forming "phalanx" (F-key), the ranks beyond the first two hold their spears up to shield against falling missiles.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

I was checking the DMB and I noticed that we're not using Signifier1's animations for all of the potential units. Think we should?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27015
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    I was checking the DMB and I noticed that we're not using Signifier1's animations for all of the potential units. Think we should?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27015
    Give him a PM asking him if you can use his animations. Tell him pannonian begsies him.

Done.

Update: Score! He said "yes."
    Last edited by Quinn Inuit; September 17, 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: yay!
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

i think the unified animation pack (which S1 put together IIRC) is already installed...

Hi all,

Could you please tell me if we'll be seeing a EXRM 3.4 due to all the updates and corrections, etc. that I've been reading in the EXRM sub forum?

Thanks,
    hellas1

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    i think the unified animation pack (which S1 put together IIRC) is already installed...
    The unified animation pack? What's that?

Some of his animations are definitely in there, but a lot of them aren't (like the hoplite animations).

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    Hi all,

Could you please tell me if we'll be seeing a EXRM 3.4 due to all the updates and corrections, etc. that I've been reading in the EXRM sub forum?

Thanks,
    hellas1
    3.3.4 is next, and right now we're working on ideas for 3.4. 3.3.4 is mostly going to be a maintenance release, with bugfixes and some minor upgrades.

The animation pak from the latest versions of RTRPE has the sig1 and eb animations. Permission had been asked and given for them years ago. If you have any animations of sig and eb ingame then this is the one you have. Older versions of rtrpe had it as an optional and not included by default in the main build. I`m guessing you`re confusing the animation pak with the DMB settings. The overhand animation by sig is included in the pak. It is just not enabled in DMB for vanilla RTRPE.

And btw, this pak was put together by PanamaRed, not sig1.
    Last edited by florin80; September 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    The animation pak from the latest versions of RTRPE has the sig1 and eb animations. Permission had been asked and given for them years ago. If you have any animations of sig and eb ingame then this is the one you have. Older versions of rtrpe had it as an optional and not included by default in the main build. I`m guessing you`re confusing the animation pak with the DMB settings. The overhand animation by sig is included in the pak. It is just not enabled in DMB for vanilla RTRPE.

And btw, this pak was put together by PanamaRed, not sig1.
    Ah, I see. Could you make any recommendations for which animations to use, or do you think they're optimized already? We're using S1's gladius and horse archer animations, but most of the rest just have the normal names.

You should use:
    Code:
    fs_s1_hoplite
    in DMB to replace the vanilla fs_spearman animation.
    The eb overhand animations work well only if the model is especially made for them. Otherwise they will hold the spears with the spearhead towards the back.

And in case you need a list, these are all the sig1 animations included in RTRPE afaik:
    Code:
    fs_s1_gladius
    fs_s1_slow_gladius
    fs_s1_hoplite
    fs_s1_slow_hoplite
    fs_s1_archer
    fs_s1_barbswordsman
    fs_s1_fast_archer
    fs_s1_fast_javelinman
    fs_s1_fast_swordsman
    fs_s1_forest_elephant_javelinrider
    fs_s1_hc_archer
    fs_s1_javelinman
    fs_s1_semi_fast_archer
    fs_s1_semi_fast_barbswordsman
    fs_s1_semi_fast_javelinman
    fs_s1_semi_fast_swordsman
    fs_s1_slow_barbswordsman
    fs_s1_slow_swordsman
    fs_s1_standard_bearer
    fs_s1_swordsman
    Last edited by florin80; September 19, 2008 at 09:04 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

It's fs_s1_hoplite I think. That's why I replaced it with EB's anim fs_o_f_spearman.

PS: You can copy modified models from my mod if you want them. I corrected all hoplite models for EB's animation.
    ________
    The Legend Condos
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 08:43 AM.

one downside to the EB animation is that they will drag their spears in the ground when marching...

But at least they don`t switch it in battle all the time like it happens with sig`s. I.e. the spearpoint is pointed towards the front, then the back and front again and so on without the unit turning. It`s rather annoying.