Thread: On the existance and nature of the metaphysical [Ruin vs X Challenge]

Default On the existance and nature of the metaphysical [Ruin vs X Challenge]

As no-one seems to be using the challenge thread, I shall lay down the challenge and terms here.

This will be between me and one other debator, at a time. If one drops out, another is free to take his place.

The debate will cover two topics:
    1. The possible existance of the metaphysical
    2. The nature of the metaphysical

The Metaphysical as specified as "beyond the four dimensions (length, bredth, width and time)". And as such, beyond space and time. This will also cover such metaphysical constructs as God, and the interaction with the physical.

I will take the position of the denial of the metaphysical initially.

Light, like life, dies with the setting of a sun
    The Aneist's Perspective - A political and philosophical commentary

SGT.JAR's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Debate: All comers, on the existance and nature of the metaphysical

ok, can you prove its not true?
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made
    -tibullus
    -dont steal, the government hates competition
    The object of war is not to die for your country,
    but to make the other bastard die for his.
    -General S. Patton

I would like more clearly defined parameters for discussion so that we dont devolve into semantic arguements but I would be glad to discuss this subject with you in debate format.

and perhaps just discuss the reality of a reality outside or within our own, but beyond our current ability to comprehend-- without discussing the nature of such a place or the god of such a place-- lets first determine is or is not then move on from there

I will begin in support of the metaphysical as you have defined it.

and my strongest evidence is found within our current sciences, namely the ability of subatomics to be in two locations at once, this implies extra dimensions; or perhaps missed understanding -- and either way it would qualify as a hint of the "metaphysical" if this is not how you wanted to talk about it as I said define it better so we may avoid semantics.
    Last edited by Chaigidel; September 17, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

SGT.JAR's Avatar Civis

nicely put chaigidel. ruin?
    btw, i would really like to follow a debate of this type, so dont think noones reading this
    Last edited by SGT.JAR; September 17, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made
    -tibullus
    -dont steal, the government hates competition
    The object of war is not to die for your country,
    but to make the other bastard die for his.
    -General S. Patton

I would like more clearly defined parameters for discussion so that we dont devolve into semantic arguements but I would be glad to discuss this subject with you in debate format.
    That's fine, which items would you like a definition set for the discussion?
    and perhaps just discuss the reality of a reality outside or within our own, but beyond our current ability to comprehend-- without discussing the nature of such a place or the god of such a place-- lets first determine is or is not then move on from there
    Agreed
    I will begin in support of the metaphysical as you have defined it.
    Very well, would you like to make the opening statement in terms of it?

and my strongest evidence is found within our current sciences, namely the ability of subatomics to be in two locations at once, this implies extra dimensions; or perhaps missed understanding -- and either way it would qualify as a hint of the "metaphysical" if this is not how you wanted to talk about it as I said define it better so we may avoid semantics.
    Ok, well I'm sure you will explore this idea further in your first statement. I would describe the metaphysical as:

Anything beyond the physical, which cannot be measured or percieved in it's own right, but may be indirectly noticed.

Light, like life, dies with the setting of a sun
    The Aneist's Perspective - A political and philosophical commentary