Thread: Seleucids are enormous!!

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Seleucids are enormous!!

Well, so I started to try out this mod! I think it looks and feels very great! I kinda like the colors.....cant really explain, but this sub-mod looks different then the XGM I remember.

Anyway, I started with Ptolemaics ( Egypt ). And I noticed I'm in war with Seleucids. Most other factions start out small.
    1) So why are the Seleucids so frigging powerful right from the start?

Then add up the Economic bonus they get from their capital...and they can just crush me easily. Any good tips?
    Ptolemaics make some money at start ( around 7500 Drachma each turn ). Should I spend it on trade/port buildings first to get more stable economy?

Or should I make an army and capture Rebel Settlements as soon as possible?

- Roger

ps. I still think its bit unfair that Seleucids are this big from the start. ( lol, I know I sound like a whiny little kid....but still..... )

Noodlegasm's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Seleucids are enormous!!

blame alexander the great

ROFL

Yea....wish I could kill him in game. I have BI only

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Well, unfortunately that's the state The Seleucid Empire was during that time period, though appearances are often deceptive - they acctually have a pretty weak infrastructure and barely make enough money to hold together the Empire, though with the AI bonuses, they live up to their name pretty good, but still get trashed by the Attalids (like they should).

Playing as the Ptolemies can be tough - there's little to nowhere to expand, only desert, jungles full of savage tribes and even more desert. I recommend disbanding/reassigning troops towards Jerusalem (Hierosolyma) and try providing a solid defensive and offensive line against the Seleucids. Building up your infrastructure will proove absolutely vital for success. I recommend taking a deeper look into what the differences in units for Eastern / Western barracks are - you can only have one and usually Western barracks are useless in the middle of Nubia, while Eastern barracks in your Greek capital Alexandria would be a waste of power.

So, basically, it's hard. One of the hardest factions to play and quite stagnant too. If you like playing as a comfortable builder, it's the right campaign, but war with the Seleucids is inevitable.

Also, this mod plays a lot better with the ALEX exe, too bad you don't have it
    Glad you somewhat like it though.

Thanks for the strategy tips, Redfox!
    I understand that its the Seleucids historical-accurate empire.

I havent checked out really what the differences between western/eastern barracks are. I will took a more in-depth look into it.

And I've played my campaign some on and on....and I'm handling the Seleucids pretty well. It sure is hard yes...but quite a challenge and I've made many allies at the hellenic provinces.

Since I dont have ALEX....I dont know what I'm missing
    And its not that I like this mod somewhat.....I really love it as I love XGM! There's great work put into this and I always appreciate such things. Keep up the great stuff ( even tho ur short on time lately )

- Roger

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Well, unfortunately that's the state The Seleucid Empire was during that time period
    Why is that a bad thing?

Legionem Insanis's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Well, unfortunately that's the state The Seleucid Empire was during that time period, though appearances are often deceptive - they acctually have a pretty weak infrastructure and barely make enough money to hold together the Empire, though with the AI bonuses, they live up to their name pretty good, but still get trashed by the Attalids (like they should).
    Ya, this is most true.
    I started a Seleucid campaign and in the first I turn found the Eastern 1/3 to 1/2 of the empire almost 50% Eastern Civilized, very poorly garrisoned and on the verge of revolt. I set taxes to low and put a shrine to Hera and Grain Import in each queue. This cost me quite a bit. Next turn I had a couple riots but most were blue but then the Parthians move a small stack right next to one.

If this werent enough, in Asia Minor the Attalids and Celts both have a settlement with a full stack while most of my cities only have 2 units. The Attalids (who I started out at war with) send a small stack and siege one of my cities. When i repel that they send a big stack.

Its no picnic. I think I'm going to write-off the Eastern cities and concentrate on foritfying the West. The loot is in Asia Minor anyway.
    Last edited by Legionem Insanis; October 06, 2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: clarity

Legionem Insanis's Avatar Biarchus

and, yes, im enjoying the mod