Thread: Need advice on NYC? I'm your man

Default Need advice on NYC? I'm your man

So if anyone here is planning, wishing, or dreaming of visiting the big apple, I'm available and willing to field your questions. A resident for over 17 years, I know my way around Manhattan island and some of the other boroughs. Whether it's saving cash, travel arrangements, lodgings, things to do or people to meet, I can help with anything

Default Re: Need advice on NYC? I'm your man

I am planning to visit the city that never sleeps once.
    Which are the best blues / jazz and hard rock clubs in NY?

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Go down to Bleeker St. in the Village and you'll find a place called 'The Bitter End' this is a well known venue for live music. And right around this place are several bars and nightclubs that play the sort of music your looking for. Just be aware, they get packed on the weekends. I got into a fight in the Blues club that's there (forget the name) because I would move away from the hostess station at the bar. (God forbid the bouncer noticed that there was no place else to stand and should have stopped letting people in long ago.)

I'm sure there are other areas, but that's predominantly where I hung out.

Have a great trip and remember to try Grey's Papaya and Carney's Deli!!!
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Blues/ Jazz? Depends on the night you get there. Look before you go but don't be too discriminatory, I'd check places out in Alphabet city or old brooklyn, first then work my way uptown. Dinosaur BBQ on (135th?) has awesome food and live music on occasion, if you see a band called Daffish, check 'em out I used to play bass for them. As for Sake, uh, I'm under age check back next year

i might be heading to NYC this december, any good places to go? its probably a one or two day visit

Was planning to spend the New Year there...any tips?

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Was planning to spend the New Year there...any tips?
    Really depends on what your desires are. If you want to do the whole Times Square thing, be prepared to freeze and be stuck crammed in like cattle for hours. Did it one years and that was a great experience but not one I'd do again.

Unfortunately they just built a new building right behind the library which cuts off the view, but you still may be able to see something by going over near the NY Public Library on 42nd St.

The other thing to do is find a nice bar or club and go there and early and just make a night of it. After about 6 or 7 all the places begin to charge to get in. In 2000 we were in a place (forget the name) left to get some food and when we returned a half hour later it cost us $20.

Luckily we were wandering around Mulberry St. and found this Creole place that was free of charge, had food, and Champagne at Midnight. It turned out to be one of my best New Years.

But as for specific things. Perhaps people who are currently living there can help you.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Yeah, Avoid Times square, if you can afford it get a room @ the Ritz or the Jumeriah Hotels, that way you're overlooking the park on one side and times square on the other

Anyone who's planning a trip should drop by 161st St and River Ave in the Bronx. You might still get to see a great American landmark before it's destroyed.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I pass it every day on the way to school.^

Also check out Greenpoint while you are in NYC. I might even agree to show you around.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Caesar View Post
    I pass it every day on the way to school.^
    Awesome. I don't live in NYC but I go there every other week at least, my friend lives in the Bronx, next to Van Cortlandt Park. I also try to go to a Yankees game every month.
    Last edited by Justinian; October 04, 2008 at 11:39 PM.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

Well you haven't really got much time left for that one at the House That Ruth Built.

Quote Originally Posted by aja5191 View Post
    Well you haven't really got much time left for that one at the House That Ruth Built.
    Unfortunately! But I went in April and May, I saw the Yankees beat the Red Sox 15-9, I have pictures and ticket stubs and a souvenir cup. So I say my farewell sadly but fondly.

for any who live in nyc which bourogh do you live in?
    im in brooklyn