Thread: Tactics and battle formation thread

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Tactics and battle formation thread

hi to all readers.

as a new Ntw2 player i have a few questions. i am new at playing this game so i was wondering what cinde of army set up do you use and are there any tactics that you can follow? so i would like to ask if you could post some tactics and army formations in this thread.

thx for the help

Hesus de bodemloze
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Tactics and battle formation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    hi to all readers.

as a new Ntw2 player i have a few questions. i am new at playing this game so i was wondering what cinde of army set up do you use and are there any tactics that you can follow? so i would like to ask if you could post some tactics and army formations in this thread.

thx for the help

Hesus de bodemloze
    well, let me be the first to help ye,

My biggest advice is to follow your own style, not anyone else's. see what works, and what doesn't (for you), and use it.

as for what i do: well, I usually pick redcoats: nice shooters, great for blowing the enemy clean out of the water. I take advantage of the woods, the town buildings, bridges, and ditches, to escape enemy cannons, and use them like RTW walls. I prefer to aim for the general with riflemen, or pull off the "walajah" (i.e lure for an ambush from the rear). cavalry is rarely used, mostly to mop up enemy resistance, or as a stop gap measure-never as a shock troop. artillery is often used on concentrations, and generally used sparingly-I prefer to wait until the enemy is within 50m (game distance), and give them shrapnel.

in other words, I fight more like a native american than a european. Its why I don't dare play multiplayer-I've gathered that most over here prefer "clean" European fighting. I also use the "P" button too much.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

JohanRegus's Avatar Civis

hi to all readers.

thx for the help

Hesus de bodemloze
    Well, if you want my advice, here is some.

When defending, make some space between the infantry batallions and place artillery there. When the enemy draws close, have your infantry fire their muskets and your cannons pour canister at them. Since the AI prefers musketduels to bayonet fighting, they will stay were they are, and you will be able to inflict horrible casualties on them.

Doubt is the adversary of great enterprises - Napoléon

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohanRegus12

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

thx for the information.

@ johanRegus this is good for ai play but not for online battles.

so if there are any tactics to use in online battles pleas feel free to share them with the rest of us.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I tend to use a very structured strategy in most of my battles in NTW2. In a full stack, I usually use a foundation of several units of line infantry, with some units of heavy infanty and light infantry thrown in, leading to my first tip; infantry should be used as the backbone of your army and should make up a majority of your army. I also tend to use 2 smaller pieces of artillery to support the main infantry lines, to fire at the enemy with cannonball from a distance and use grapeshot for infantry or cavalry that comes too close, and a larger piece of artillery to fire at strong points in the enemy line from afar. Although it is sometimes useful to have 2 generals, one for the front line and one to stay back, I prefer using only 1 general, as the use of 2 is a waste of a unit slot. Any slots left I tend to field cavalry, usually about 2 units of heavy cavalry and 2 units of light at the minimum. Once in battle my main tip is to support all your units in battle; always have infantry support available nearby when making a cavalry charge, keep support nearby your artillery pieces (never leave them alone if possible), and never leave a unit by itself-it makes it an easy target for any enemy. Cavalry, in my opinion, cannot win a battle by itself, but in a decent army can tip the balance of odds significantly. First of all, don't use them as you would use medieval knights and therefore don't send them charging into full enemy blocks of infantry. The use of heavy cavalry in NTW2 is not so much about killing off enemy soldiers, but to demoralize an already weakened enemy unit. Charge at loosely formed, weakened infantry units. This should lead to a near instant route; if it doesn't and you start losing men, withdraw to a safe distance A.S.A.P. A cavalry charge at the right time could lead to the a unanimous, large enemy route, possibly ending in victory. I tend to use light cavalry to chase routing enemies so they will not regain morale, to charged weakened light units and to take out unguarded artillery.

JohanRegus's Avatar Civis

thx for the information.

so if there are any tactics to use in online battles pleas feel free to share them with the rest of us.
    Oh, the thread was for online battles? I didn't realize. Thought it was just the SP .

Well, a simple tip is to outmanouver your opponent while his attention is elsewhere. Place a force to his rear. It doesn't have to be heavy assault troops like guards; the mere presence of foes to the rear will demoralize your enemy's army. Also try to kill the enemy general with artillery or skirmishers while you keep your own alive and ready. Use the muskets liberally, the bayonet is mostly for the Coûp de Grace in the end of the fighting.

Doubt is the adversary of great enterprises - Napoléon

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohanRegus12

Never sit still. Always keep moving, the moment you stop moving is when you lose. Force your enemy to move where you want him to move and you will win.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

thx for the information.

Online battles are much more difficult since hardly anyone plays this mod online those who do are veterans and i get my @$$ kicked everytime nearly but its still fun at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by REQUIEM View Post
    Online battles are much more difficult since hardly anyone plays this mod online those who do are veterans and i get my @$$ kicked everytime nearly but its still fun at the end of the day.
    Just a little taste of what you will all suffer when ETW comes out

But there are more players showing up lately, and most veterans try their best to teach the basics to them as well, rather than just beat them in a match.

Sun Devil's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by REQUIEM View Post
    The learning curve isnt to bad, after ten or so battle i'm now getting the hang of it and victories are starting to happen. Plus, just think how much better us people who play NTW2 will be in empire.

REQUIEM's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by USC_Trojans View Post
    The learning curve isnt to bad, after ten or so battle i'm now getting the hang of it and victories are starting to happen. Plus, just think how much better us people who play NTW2 will be in empire.
    Exactly people who play this mod will be awesome at ETW online because we will be used to manuvering gunpowder units and understand the whole concept of cavalry not ruling the battlefield

Ah the brainwashing is working. Excellent. Go forth and spread the good word that is NTW2!

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard