Thread: A suggestion

Default A suggestion

Maybe there could be a special infantry unit which instead of using pikes can place stakes even though there not archers i dont know if this is possible

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: A suggestion

Hey that's an interesting idea for which I've never that of using or trying, I'm going to check it out and think on the application of it if possible.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

A little change in the EDU might just do the trick
    Code:
    type             Longbowmen
    dictionary       Longbowmen      ; Longbowmen
    category         infantry
    class            missile
    soldier          Longbowmen, 100, 0, 0.50
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, stakes

I have experimented with this in the past. If you give infantry the ability it is a massive bonus against cavalry (provided they stay behind the stakes). As I recall the AI did not cope too well with it and it provides another advantage to the human player which I don't think is desirable. Nice idea but needs testing ...
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 14, 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Yes it would be very very one sided maybe the cheaper and weaker units can use it like peasents and town militia and stuff like that

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

as unhistorical as it can be

braveheart shows melee units using rudimentary stakes (scots don't have the intelligent of making better )

is it possible to script/animate the units to show their ass, being this mod based on braveheart's time, it would be historical accurate, check the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30XsH...eature=related

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 14, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Thank you for another invaluable contribution Swagger. Please feel free to make some more if you are so inclined. If not, all the better.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    as unhistorical as it can be

braveheart shows melee units using rudimentary stakes (scots don't have the intelligent of making better )

is it possible to script/animate the units to show their ass, being this mod based on braveheart's time, it would be historical accurate, check the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30XsH...eature=related

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You do realise you spelt intelligence incorrectly? However, as I know English isn't your first language i'll let you off

That's an interesting take on history. The rudimentary stakes you speak of are actually used as long spears or Pikes in this clip, stakes are not held in place by the foot, they are hammered into the ground.

Interesting enough the unintelligent Scots seem to be among the first to use the Pike against Heavy cavalry in the Western theatre during Medieval times at Falkirk....and adopted by other nations thereafter. Were the Portugese using iron Pikes in massed formations at the time against cavalry?

Yes it would be possible to animate bottom-showing but time could be better spent on other aspects of the mod like skinning. If you watch the historical clip you mention you'll actually see how over excited the English were at getting over to the Scottish lines to have a closer look at some Scottish bottom (played by the Irish Army).

Finally, medieval soldiers can't take the credit for showing genitals in combat. This first goes back to the approximate year 100 000BC when the first battle was fought between Homo Sapiens and Homo Erectus, as the T-Rex and King Kong watched on. I can't find the reference to this battle, but I saw it on the net somehwere:hmmm:
    Last edited by The Bruce; September 15, 2008 at 06:23 AM.

Thank you for another invaluable contribution Swagger. Please feel free to make some more if you are so inclined. If not, all the better.
    im glad to help

TBR- but if we go the ''historical'' way, the scots were showing their non-respect to the english, by showing their ass (bart simpsons does the same)

You do realise you spelt intelligence incorrectly? However, as I know English isn't your first language i'll let you off
    would you like to make a try, and speak portuguese ?
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Patrician

would you like to make a try, and speak portuguese ?
    No mate, I couldn't understand a word of it due to only being an uneducated Australian

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    No mate, I couldn't understand a word of it due to only being an uneducated Australian
    i never had a english education (only 3 hours per week at school)

and most of the english i speak, was learned from the net (twc included)

i cannot speak as fluently as you do :portuguese_flag:

Stakes would be a good idea if the AI knew how to use them.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Stakes would be a good idea if the AI knew how to use them.
    They added it to Third Age total War pretty well. Had my bad ass guy riding after some routing units and he smacked into some of those stakes in the middle of the battle field in high grass!

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    They added it to Third Age total War pretty well. Had my bad ass guy riding after some routing units and he smacked into some of those stakes in the middle of the battle field in high grass!
    EDIT: There has been so much AI improvement for TATW that I won't be surprised if AI's stake use problem has been fixed.
    Last edited by A1_Unit; May 27, 2009 at 07:09 PM.

The problem with stakes is not only the way the AI handles their deployment but how the AI attacks units that have deployed them. I have yet to see an AI mod that fixes this but it may be possible.

I just fixed my grammer error.
    Last edited by A1_Unit; May 29, 2009 at 07:45 AM.