Thread: Mercenaries?

Default Mercenaries?

During the civil war, England knew a rather sizeable influx of foreign mercenaries from the European continent, among which many experienced veterans from the Thirty War and hardened soldiers from the Balkans, who pretty much fought for the first army they could find, yet I haven't seen any mention of mercenaries in this mod's forum.

So will we be able to recruit mercenaries? And if so, will those units be similar to what you'll be recruiting in the settlements or will we be seeing French, Germans, Bohemians, Croats, etc...?

Default Re: Mercenaries?

Let's not get carried away..

First of all, define sizable influx? I have read of the use of mercenaries during the first English ciivl war. However the sources I have read talk of a grand total of mercenaries being no more than two or three hundred.

Second, let's not fool ourselves into believing that these merc's travelled, served and fought as companies. From what I've read, the vast majority of these mercenaries were individuals who were folded into existing Royalist and Parliamentarian regiments of foote. On the field of battle they most likely wore the coat of their regiment and their appearance would have been much the same as any English man fighting beside them. I've yet to read about any mercenaries fighting as bands or as irregular infantry.

So the answer to the question is no, there won't be any mercenaries. The quantity was so very low and because they didn't fight as 'units' as they would need to be represented in the MED2 engine. They would essentially be fantasy units.

Cheers
    Last edited by AlphaDelta; September 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Thankyou Alphadelta, you have once again satisfied the historian within me (in an entirely non sexual way I might add...)

Lol

Formerly Tyrtaeus

There's a good quote in the movie Cromwell, just before the battle of Edgehill, Essex calls Rupert of the Rhine a foreign mercenary.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Mr Roet's Avatar Libertus

Just wondering, what about recruiting "mercenaries" in ports. They would take a long time to recruit (5 or 6 turns for 1 unit). This could resemble mercenaries coming from the mainland, staying in ports waiting to be formed into one unit.
    No big deal if unincluded, this mod is gonna be great with or without

Previously I thought about including henrietta of France's attempt to raise a company on the continent. Though as I understand, it was only a company{100-150 men} so I don't think they deserve inclussion.

Cheers

most of the mercenarys in the english army did not join in companys but entered service with standing regts.parliament had a lot of them (they had more money!) but most were thrown out of employment by the creation of the new model army.colonel jonas van drushke and his cavalry regt joined the earl of levens army in 1645,comprised of allsorts, english,prussian, welsh etc.and colonel augustine hoffman,a"high german" served with his own troop in david leslies horse.he had his own regt after dunbar.

most of the mercenarys in the english army did not join in companys but entered service with standing regts.
    Thanks for the confirmation on this. This fact is what makes it impossible to represent mercs in mercenary pools, in certain regions, as MED2 does.

Cheers