Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimes of Modding..

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Crimes of Modding..

A light hearted or very serious survey on the worst crimes a modder can commit...

Gahh, was going to add a poll which was very amusing but I have to catch a plane...
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; September 12, 2008 at 05:49 AM.

Default Re: Crimes of Modding..

are you creating one or asking what the crimes are?

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

No.1 Crime - Not finishing what they start.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Not proofreading! I hate not understanding what someone is trying to tell me in the install instructions or stop reading a delight comment on a certain unit because they cannot spell or bother to find someone who can.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Starting a new mod instead of helping a similar one that needs help and eventually ending up with two dead mods instead of a released one.

Not deleting map.rwm...

Starting a new mod instead of helping a similar one that needs help and eventually ending up with two dead mods instead of a released one.
    Ditto!

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

This might go under 'finishing what you start' but;

Offering help, doing some work, then slowly disappearing as you go to help out on another mod. If your not happy, no longer interested, have other obligations, or have problems with the way the mod is progressing, tell someone. Just don't disappear with work half done and without an explanation.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

not setting up CGF error logging to trace is a crime.

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex took an arrow to the knee

Changing more than one thing in a mod then upon testing hitting the dreaded unspecified error. Gah! The time I've wasted going back & starting all over again, this time more circumspectly.
    Proud Patron of derdrakken, dave scarface, J@mes & irishron
    Indulging in the insight & intelligence of imb39

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Changing more than one thing in a mod then upon testing hitting the dreaded unspecified error. Gah! The time I've wasted going back & starting all over again, this time more circumspectly.
    The sad part is that you may have to "re-learn" this lesson over and over again.

I know I have...I've gotten complacent many times and gone ahead with mulitple changes prior to testing, and then ahving to start from scratch because of the U/E.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    I know I have...I've gotten complacent many times and gone ahead with mulitple changes prior to testing, and then ahving to start from scratch because of the U/E.
    Indeed, after a while you get to feeling that you have the changes down pat and can make 5 or 10 at a time that have potential for completely unrelated and unspecified errors, and then you don't capitalize something in an obscure file and POW! RIGHT IN THE KISSER!

I think the biggest crime a modder can commit is not documenting their progress for future modders to build upon. Some information about M2TW areas are still lacking, even though they're included in prolific released mods .

Number two would have to be not backing up your files. I make daily backups and in most cases back up individual text files, and will .rar a full version of the mod folder after significant changes have been made and it is determined to be stable. If I hadn't backed up files I might have torn my hair out by now.

Other offenses:

3) Asking for help BEFORE trying to find the answer on your own, I don't mind other people needing help, which is why one of the few areas I check is Mod Workshop, and I ask a good bit of questions, but only after an hour toying with the search function.

4) Spreading your self too thin. People that work on 7 different mods, even if their work is semi-quality, should spend some of that time having a life.

5) Making a new mod because your idea differs slightly from someone else. If we have an RTR, and EB, and an RS for E:TW they are all going to die out. The breadth of work needed to make a mod doesn't lend weight to mods that are theoretically the same, so if we have the same "Well EB has heavier scripting", "Well RS has named legions", "Well RTR has history", or whatever, we may not have a rome mod to cherish any time soon. People have done more as a mini-mod than the difference overall is between a lot of the existing mods.

Cheers,
    Augustus
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; September 12, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Not bothering to modfolder their mod. This makes me think that they do not believe their downloaders wish to play any mod but their own, or that they expect their players to setup multiple copies of RTW et. al. and use up their HDD space - or it leads me to believe they do not have a good coder (who could convert it in 3 days) which makes me suspect how well the mod is coded in the first place.

And I agree with all the above especially the point about intuitive coding and build management. I hopefully always code with the thought that, should I die, someone could understand easily what I was doing...

And I might die after making this post
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Poor marketing, no screens, no readme file, nothing, at least not in one easily accessible place. PEOPLE YOU NEED TO PROMOTE YOUR MOD TO GAIN FANS!

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

hmmm, how about using other's work without permission?
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Custom User Title
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jimkatalanos View Post
    hmmm, how about using other's work without permission?
    Especially with an "I made this" tagline..

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
    Especially with an "I made this" tagline..
    That's the worst crime.
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

-Accepting too many historians and not enough modders

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Caesar View Post
    -Accepting too many historians and not enough modders
    That's true for a lot of mods, though to be honest, on our mod right now we don't really need more modders, it might help, might not, but we have the Coding and GFX generally covered, along with a couple outsourced areas. However we only have one historian, a good one, but only one. Which means we currently have to spend half our time researching and debating research, rather than just taking submitted research and coding it. I'd be good with another 9 talented historians.

But I agree about the sentiment. It's more like "Any mod that is founded by a historian", because people who can't mod asking for others to do the work for them = . Also increases the chances the people who do help in the modding area don't know what they're doing, because if they were extremely credible they'd be busy on another mod that actually has hope to succeed.

Cheers,
    Augustus

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Poor marketing, no screens, no readme file, nothing, at least not in one easily accessible place. PEOPLE YOU NEED TO PROMOTE YOUR MOD TO GAIN FANS!
    This point is valid, but you also need to know when to market. There is also the danger of marketing too early without much work done and having no idea when you'll possibly have anything released. This is definitely a trap we fell into in try to garner excitement and then having nothing to show for it because the work on the actual mod was progressing slowly.

But you do need to update your forums regularly to let people know that the mod is still alive and work is being done.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    This point is valid, but you also need to know when to market. There is also the danger of marketing too early without much work done and having no idea when you'll possibly have anything released. This is definitely a trap we fell into in try to garner excitement and then having nothing to show for it because the work on the actual mod was progressing slowly. But you do need to update your forums regularly to let people know that the mod is still alive and work is being done.
    Boy have I learned that the hard way.
    Also setting standards too high too early is common.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast