Thread: Campaign Mapping With Gimp

Default Campaign Mapping With Gimp

Mapping With Gimp

Warning: This tutorial is image heavy please do not be put off i have gone into extra details and this as made the tutorial little longer then expected.

This Tutorial as been written for all those who would like to create their own map but do not have photoshop, this as been written for the use with GIMP which is a free program which can be obtained from the internet.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

open your base folder and drag into GIMP your map_height.tga this should open the file

now with your map_heights.TGA open click on the eye dropper tool and take a sample of the sea, click the layers menu and select new layer this creates a layer

call the layer Temp or anything you like but make sure the layer as the layer fill type selected as white.

Your map should go white but don't worry the map is behind this layer if you do not have a layer dialog box you can show it from Dialogs>>Layers
    there is know two layers your map_heights and the new temp layer all good?

if you click on the eye icon on your temp layer you will render it invisible and be able to see the layer behind.

now with you temp layer visible select the bucket tool and click anywhere into the white of the temp layer this will fill the background with the map_height.tag ocean.

The Temp layer should look like this in the layers dialog box

now with your map_heights layer selected click image in the menu and scroll down to canvas size...

a new dialog box will open with the original height and width pixels

in this order

1) click on the chain and break it (if not you with get auto calculated values)
    2) set your new desired height and width i have chosen 301x401 remember to write this values down becuase you are going to need them again
    3) make sure layers is set to none we just want raw pixels if you forget to do this step you will get a CTD.
    4)click Resize and watch that map grow.

now the map as expanded to the east and south we seems to have an off set area use the scale tool on the temp layer only and drag the box until it fits and remove the offset area.

(note i seem to have lost the picture will upload this very soon)

now back into the layer dialog box select the map_heights layer and click the raise button this will place the map_height layer above the temp layer.

now left mouse click on the map_height layer and select merge down now we should have only one layer.

like so.

save the file if you get this GIMP message then you will need to remove the fill lock this why the tutorial is loooonngggg...

find the file you are editing in this case map_height.tag right click and down to properties remove the tick from read only and click ok

you will need to repeat the above step with the map_ground_types and remember to use the appropriate colors for the sea.

we are now going to canvas the map_regions file this file is much smaller then our map_heights and map_ground_types.tga its actually have the size of their original values. so include a new layer behind this file as explained with the map_heights and canvas this baby to 150x200 as half of 301 is 150.5 and half 401 is 200.5 but we do not use the .5 (from the map_heights)

you will also need to set the canva of the following

map_climates.tga (301x401)
    map_fog.tga(301x401)
    map_features.tga(150x200)
    map_trade_routes.tga(150x200)

map_roughness.tga(300x400) this file needs to be 1 pixel shorter on both height and width compared to map_heights don't ask why i don;t know it probably as something to do with the game border.

and one more thing before you start your campaign these values insidethe
    descr_terrain.txt will need to be edited to match the map_regions new height and width

Code:
    dimensions
    {
        width  150
        height  200
    }
    heights
    {
        min_sea_height  -3406.782
        max_land_height  7511.272
    }
    roughness
    {
        min  50.000
        max  200.000
    }
    fractal
    {
        multiplier  0.500
    }
    lattitude
    {
        min  22.000
        max  56.000
    }
    so if you get if save these file and test your campaign you should get something like this

also delete map.rwm and heights.hgt from the base folder the map.rwn will rebuild the heights.hgt not really necessary but there is a python tool in the downloads which will rebuild this if you want.

to paint some landmass we are going to have to increase the size of map_regions to the same size of map_heights (301x401) pixels

now scale the image

these are the value that are needed.

after scaling map_regions it should look like this... mine looks weird becuase i had to save these pictures as JPEG.

now we have all three file the same size map_regions map_heights map_ground_types all at 301x401 pixels.
    Last edited by J@mes; September 12, 2008 at 07:35 AM.

Default Re: Tutorial: Mapping With Gimp

second part here

now select the pen color using colors 7,7,7 map_heights works on gray scale RGB

now paint your new landmass i have tried to paint north France with the color RGB 7,7,7

now copy set ground_map_types and press CTRL+C to make a copy of the layer, select map_height and press CTRL+V to paste it over the map_heights layer map_heights should have two layer again.

should look like this...

set the Opacity to around 40 this works best for me, and select the floating layer (this is the map_ground_types.tga)

use RGB 0,0,0 to map on this layer as this color represents wilderness and this can be changed later.

trace it from the map_heights (DO NOT TRACE INTO THE SEA) if you do press CTRL+Z to undo.

set the Opacity back up to 100% and with the map_ground_types.tga selected press CTRL+C to copy the floating layer and CTRL+V to paste into back into its original file (map_ground_types).

now you have pasted the floating layer back over to its original file right click and select anchor layer this acts the same as merge but only copy's the new part.

save this file and close.

now select map_heights and remove the floating layer from the dialog box right click and delete.

Open map_regions and cut and paste that file over into map_heights the same way you did with the map_ground_types.tga

select the new floating layer

drop the Opacity again to 40% with the floating layer selected

VERY VERY important you will need to select a region color that already existed! i chose RGB 151,25,225

now copy the floating layer back into map_regions and anchor the layer like we did with the map_ground_types.tga and rescale this file because its values need to be (150x200) half of 301x401 remember this!!!! or CTD TIME

the newly created is ready.

hope this will easy some of the PM i get on mapping? and enjoy please any questions post here and i or someone else will try and help you out ASAP.

if anyone would like me to continue on with this tutorial and show you how to add a region or a river please speak or forever hold your peace .

Thanks
    J@mes
    Last edited by J@mes; September 12, 2008 at 05:32 AM.

need this space

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

i don't have Gimp, i use photoshop, but that's a really good work
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Default Re: Tutorial: Campaign Mapping With Gimp

updated

Great tuto. Thanks J@mes!

this will help a lot it has every step !!
    i will try it

amazing just one thing i have created a map not engalnd the map works fine it enters but there are grafical problems i used the maximum limit alowed

510 510

1- i have recreated the map several times but the only time it does work properly and don`t crash after a wile in game is when i put antialiasing resolution and widescreen options enabled

J@mes awesome , i will try it as well. and please keep updating, i want to learn the navigable river and stuff.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

A very good indepth tutorial covering everything, and yes could you continue with the tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Icedie of South View Post
    J@mes awesome , i will try it as well. and please keep updating, i want to learn the navigable river and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by krycek View Post
    A very good indepth tutorial covering everything, and yes could you continue with the tutorial.
    yes update will be going soon i'm bit busy writing other tutorials.

Ok i have a had a few PM's on this so i'm updating

map_features
    -Landbrigdes
    -Rivers (navigable)
    -Volcano's
    -Ledges

map_height
    -building mountains round river etc

map_ground_types

do you want this covered? adding swamps, impassably terrain Etc?

have i missed anything that you want to learn?
    Last edited by J@mes; October 01, 2008 at 09:34 AM.

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Wonderful, wonderful, wunderbar!

Very good tutorial James. I look forward of seeing the rest of this, especially the navigable rivers
    +rep for you!

Tutorial updated for you guys here

any chance of a tutorial on paint.net

where is the heights tutorial?

Evil_Dane's Avatar Semisalis

Good Guide

Evil_Dane's Avatar Semisalis

Thank you very much, it worked for me!

Default Re: Campaign Mapping With Gimp

How do you get rid of the sea completely and change Europe into Asia ?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Campaign Mapping With Gimp

Start a new map