Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction Thread - Holy Roman Empire

Default Faction Thread - Holy Roman Empire

All info about HRE faction you can post here... everyone who post here something interesting will give from me +rep

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Default Re: Faction Thread - Holy Roman Empire

Holy Roman Empire, political entity of lands in western and central Europe, founded by Charlemagne in ad 800 and dissolved by Emperor Francis II in 1806. The extent and strength of the empire largely depended on the military and diplomatic skill of its emperors, both of which fluctuated considerably during the empire’s thousand-year lifetime. However, the principal area of the empire was the German states. From the 10th century, its leaders were German kings, who usually sought but did not always receive coronation as emperor by the popes in Rome.

At its peak in the 12th century, the empire comprised most of the territory of modern-day Germany, Austria, Switzerland, eastern France, Belgium, Netherlands, western Poland, the Czech Republic, and Italy. By the later Middle Ages, however, the emperors’ power had become increasingly symbolic, with real legal and administrative power exercised at the territorial and municipal levels. When the last Holy Roman emperor resigned in 1806, the realm had long matched Voltaire’s famous description of it as 'neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire.'
    The Holy Roman Empire was an attempt to revive the Western Roman Empire, whose legal and political structure had deteriorated during the 5th and 6th centuries and had been replaced by independent kingdoms ruled by Germanic nobles. The Roman imperial office had been vacant after Romulus Augustulus was deposed in ad 476. But, during the turbulent early Middle Ages, the popes had kept alive the traditional concept of a temporal realm coextensive with a spiritual realm of the church. The Byzantine Empire, which controlled the Eastern Roman Empire from its capital, Constantinople (now İstanbul, Turkey), retained nominal sovereignty over the territories formerly controlled by the Western Empire, and many of the Germanic tribes that had seized these territories formally recognized the Byzantine emperor as overlord. Partly because of this and also because the popes depended on Byzantine protection against the Lombards, a Germanic tribe in northern Italy, they continued to recognize the sovereignty of the Eastern Empire.

As the political bonds that had held western Europe together gradually gave way to a variety of successor states, the idea of a universal and eternal Roman Empire did not die out, but was transformed among recently converted barbarian peoples into the ideal of a Christian Empire. The Western Christian, or Roman Catholic, church, had been the one institution that remained unified throughout the former empire.
    Images

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

HRE Banner

Land

The Crown of the emperor

Flag of HRE

great info +rep

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

thanks

In regards to troops, this site helps to suggest some of the structure of the German Army.

http://www.warfareeast.co.uk/main/Medieval_Germany.htm

From this, the troops that should be implemented are:

Spear Militia
    Crossbow Militia
    Pike Militia (for the later era's)
    Artillery Militia (Final Period)

Knights (of several varieties perhaps depending on states/period)
    Mercenary Crossbowmen/Handgunners
    Mercenary artillery
    Mercenary pikemen
    Mercenary spearmen/halberds
    Mercenary axemen

From the article it seems that the Holy roman empire's army consisted of town militia raised by each town for its defence, and then a mixture of feudal troops and mercenaries raised by the Lords and Emperors

great + rep for you BTW in SPOILER you can see unit list for HRE made by Rydwan and I will try add your units in

UNITS LIST:

ERA (1300-1375)

CAVALRY:
    -Knechten (spear, shield, sword, mail)
    -Feudal Knights
    -German Nobles (primitive plate armor, one of first in europe, mace, shield, lance, )

INFANTRY:
    -Peasants
    -Halberd Militia
    -Swordsmen Militia
    -Foot Knechten (spear and pavise)
    -Dismounted Feudal Knights
    -Dismounted German Nobles
    -Knechten Halbediers (version with Halbediers)

SHOOTERS:
    -Peasant Crossbowmen
    -Crossbowmen
    -Crossbow Militia
    -Pavise Crossbowmen

ERA (1375-1420)

CAVALRY:
    -Imperial Knights (maces)
    -Mounted Crossbowmen

INFANTRY:
    -Peasants
    -Halberd Militia
    -Urban Militia
    -Dismounted Imperial Knights
    -Zweihander
    -Swabian Zweihander (light infantry with zweihander)

SHOOTERS:
    -Peasant Crossbowmen
    -Crossbowmen
    -Crossbow Militia
    -Pavise Crossbowmen
    -Hand Gunners

ERA (1320-1485)

CAVALRY:
    -Imperial Knights (maces)
    -Mounted Crossbowmen
    -Gothic Knights

INFANTRY:
    -Peasants
    -Landsturm (peasants with maces)
    -Halberd Militia
    -Urban Militia
    -Dismounted Imperial Knights
    -Dismounted Gothic Knights
    -Zweihander
    -Swabian Zweihander (light infantry with zweihander)

SHOOTERS:
    -Peasant Crossbowmen
    -Crossbow Militia
    -Pavise Crossbowmen
    -Hand Gunners

ERA (1485-15??)

CAVALRY:
    -Lancers (from my mod)
    -Renesiance Mounted Crossbowmen (from my mod)
    -Swabian Lancers (from my mod)

INFANTRY:
    -Renesiance Landsturm (from my mod)
    -Renesiance Militia (from my mod)
    -Landsknecht Pikemen (from my mod)
    -Armoured Landsknecht Pikemen (from my mod)
    -Landskneht Halbediers (from my mod)
    -Doppelsöldners (from my mod)
    -Renesiance Zweihander (from my mod)
    -Forlorn Hope (from my mod)
    -Grund-Ritter (from my mod)
    -Austrian Schwertkämpfer (from my mod)
    -Renesiance Swabian Zweihander (from my mod)

SHOOTERS:
    -Renesiance Crossbowmen (from my mod)
    -Renesiance Armoured Crossbowmen (from my mod)
    -Landsknecht Shooters (from my mod)
    -Arquebusiers (from my mod)

Niccolo Machiavelli

Venta Icenor Um's Avatar Civis

hmm, i think the HRE was devided at this this time.

if it was up to me i would replace the HRE with the Habsburgers and give them Austria, Tyrol, Swabia and Most of the Netherlands. Then i would replace Bohemia with the Luxemburgers and give them Luxemburg, Bohemia and most of Silesia, then i would replace the Hussites with the Witterbachers and give them Bavaria, bits of Franconia and Brabant, finally i may think about replacing Burgundy or Switerland with the Savoy. Finally if there is room (and there are no more deserving faction) i would bring in Brandenburg.

Oh and they can probably keep the same units as the ones in the list you and Rywan made for the three faction, maybe with a few minor dufferences, but the plus side is you wont have to worry to much about Bohemia's units as they will essentially be the same as the list.
    Last edited by Venta Icenor Um; November 19, 2008 at 04:07 PM.
    Those who live by the sword, Play Total War

nice map I saw it already but +rep for you Its very hard do HRE and we was thinking about this maybe we will do rome system 3 faction in aliance + one king faction he will give work to them

Niccolo Machiavelli

german knight circa 1500

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

The Habsburg family, all males equaly held the titles of the house of habsburg but the oldest in primogeniture was the leader of the house. Also they did not hold the title Arch Duke officialy, this was to put them on a level footing with the electors as the Habsburgs did not have an electoral vote.

Did you know that during the hundred years war one of the HRH Emperors accepted a bribe from Edward III to make him master of the soldiers of the Empire so that Edward III could go to war with France and use the HRH as a stong tactical threat against France. However the French King avoided battle and Edward III initialy had to withdraw his troops from the field this was in the late 1330s.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by G-Megas-Doux View Post
    The Habsburg family, all males equaly held the titles of the house of habsburg but the oldest in primogeniture was the leader of the house. Also they did not hold the title Arch Duke officialy, this was to put them on a level footing with the electors as the Habsburgs did not have an electoral vote.

Did you know that during the hundred years war one of the HRH Emperors accepted a bribe from Edward III to make him master of the soldiers of the Empire so that Edward III could go to war with France and use the HRH as a stong tactical threat against France. However the French King avoided battle and Edward III initialy had to withdraw his troops from the field this was in the late 1330s.
    hehe cool info man you seems as able researcher would you like to join us?

Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by IVIarkI2I View Post
    hehe cool info man you seems as able researcher would you like to join us?
    Maybe what do you need researching, this was just stuff I have known for a few years.

Currently I am working on an AI for vanilla (I have spoken of this elsewhere) and if anyone becomes interested in the Asia mod I mentioned I will be doing that so it could become hectic. If it is something I can find out in one of my history books or Britannica 09 then I will look. I do have books on Edward III and Henry IV if you are interested in those and a book on the hundred years war.

I also don't mind dealing with text files they are very easy to change accuratly and check. The only thing I can't do is anything with pictures I don't have the program and screeshots if I did testing would be impossible as this laptop is **** when it comes to print screen. So if you wan't me to join I will be able to do a lot and currently have a lot of free time.
    Last edited by G-Megas-Doux; October 28, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.

welcome in man

Niccolo Machiavelli

I hope you can include the chaos caused by social unrest in the 14th century, i mean the peasant revolts that swept across not just HRE but all of europe, though they tore the Empire apart to a greater extent. And it would be interesting to include the so-called 'holy lance' in the emperor's problems with ruling.

the hre has never been well done in total war as one faction, only dHRR gets it anywhere near accurate, good luck with them , i can cite some sources on the empire for your guys here

Aodh Mor. We have a good base for the HRE, however if there is anything that you think that is relavent or interesting to post about the subject or others that are researchable then please feel free to do so here as we are always glad for some fun detail in the game.

Also credit avatar from.

i'm in exams atm, so after them i'll get you some of the stuff i have

Quote Originally Posted by Venta Icenor Um View Post
    hmm, i think the HRE was devided at this this time.

if it was up to me i would replace the HRE with the Habsburgers and give them Austria, Tyrol, Swabia and Most of the Netherlands. Then i would replace Bohemia with the Luxemburgers and give them Luxemburg, Bohemia and most of Silesia, then i would replace the Hussites with the Witterbachers and give them Bavaria, bits of Franconia and Brabant, finally i may think about replacing Burgundy or Switerland with the Savoy. Finally if there is room (and there are no more deserving faction) i would bring in Brandenburg.

Oh and they can probably keep the same units as the ones in the list you and Rywan made for the three faction, maybe with a few minor dufferences, but the plus side is you wont have to worry to much about Bohemia's units as they will essentially be the same as the list.
    Sure, I want to play mods with ununified Germany as it was historically.
    The unit rosters of Machiavelli mod will be good sample for Austria, Bohemia and Brandenburg.

matija191's Avatar Senator

Some pictures from me:

Greetings from Croatia!

German heavy cavalry enjoyed best times only before half of the 15th C. (1420-30), when they got lecture with taborites and orphanites using gunpowder, wagenburg "fortress on the wheels", heavy crossbows, light cavalry units and early cannons. Also hussites were masters of espionage, bribing and assassination..
    Last edited by NorkeyCZ; March 28, 2010 at 05:26 PM.

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

wasn't Maximilian armour introduced in the 15 century if im not correct?

cause that armour looks very similar 2 Maximilian Armour and historically if wouldn't help with the mod
    not bragging cause im just curious if i right or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast