Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: What if Russia invaded Ukraine?

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: What if Russia invaded Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by SuNL1ghT View Post
    I bet that Russia will attack Ukraine before the US does the same to Iran.
    You're on, anyone else?

ukraine's military budget is 1.9 billion....i dont think that is would be easy but make no mistakes here.....russia always reacts harsh when it comes to it's interests!!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Geez, talk about awaking long dead threads. I wasn't even a member of this forum yet when this thread was posted.

The Ukraine has a smaller military budget than many individual countries in Europe, such as France and Italy. Russia absolutely dwarfs their spending power. That being said, the Ukrainian annual military expenditure is actually twice as large as the figure of $1.9 billion you suggest, according to this Wiki list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_expenditures

Ukraine comes in at #37 on the list of countries by military expenditures, their spending figure being $4.8 billion a year (as of 2012). Russia apparently spends $90 billion annually, which sounds massive and indeed puts them at #3 on the list, yet compare that to the People's Republic of China ($166 billion) and the United States of America ($682 billion), the latter of which is ridiculous. The United Kingdom is right behind Russia in 4th place, spending $60 billion annually on its overall military.

Some Ukrainian politicians think that even if Putin was in favour of it, some of the more rational members of his government would dissuade him. However, I wouldn't put it past him to think he could pull off airlifting a paratroop division to Sevastopol.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

What an appropriate time to necro a this thread lol.

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Well, we all know this stuff about SO, Russia's illegal agression and the likes.
    Since then, many people have argued for Georgia and Ukraine joining NATO, protecting them against any future Russian invasions.

Anyway, now my main point is: what would happen if Russia invaded Ukraine? or rather, what SHOULD happen in your opinion? Would you support that invasion? Condemn it? Call for sanctions? Military actions? Nothing?

I ask the Russian fanboys especially: what would you do if Russia decided to, say annex the Crimea because of its Russian majority? Would you actually NOT support Russia then for once? Please tell me now.

I don't want to say that this will happen - nobody knows. But in case it actually does I want to be prepared.
    I think Russia would be quite right to ask for UN humanitarian intervention if the Russian minority were threatened with genocide. A so-called "right to protect" scenario - I do not fully agree with R2P but that seems to be the way the world works at the moment.

If the security council vetoed intervention then Russia would still have strong moral grounds for some sort of action. Apart from that, any Russian invasion would be an unambiguous war of aggression (if such distinctions can in fact be made - for example I think Iraq was a clear war of aggression) and vastly increase tensions with the West, e.g. new "cold war" or even military conflict.
    Last edited by Durnaug; February 26, 2014 at 06:13 AM.

Russia apparently spends $90 billion annually, which sounds massive and indeed puts them at #3 on the list, yet compare that to the People's Republic of China ($166 billion
    I didn't knew that China is already so far ahead of Russia .

Is the Ukrainian military any good? Could they hold up a Russian invasion? Do they have the planes and AA defences to contest air superiority over Ukraine? Or to hold up and damage a Russian armoured division?

Or for that matter, is Russia's army even any good? Could they hold up assaulting serious resistance? In an area with contested local air superiority?
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; February 27, 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Going by Lord of War, I imagine that Ukrainian armouries were empty.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Ukraine offers absolutely no contest to Russia in an open conflict, they'd get steamrolled much like the Georgians. There could be some levee en masse defense of the western cities to give them a bloody nose, though. Still, it's tank/aircraft country for the most part, making any prolonged defense impossible.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Closed this zombie and moved the new posts to a new thread, here.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789