Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What if Russia invaded Ukraine?

Default What if Russia invaded Ukraine?

Well, we all know this stuff about SO, Russia's illegal agression and the likes.
    Since then, many people have argued for Georgia and Ukraine joining NATO, protecting them against any future Russian invasions.

Anyway, now my main point is: what would happen if Russia invaded Ukraine? or rather, what SHOULD happen in your opinion? Would you support that invasion? Condemn it? Call for sanctions? Military actions? Nothing?

I ask the Russian fanboys especially: what would you do if Russia decided to, say annex the Crimea because of its Russian majority? Would you actually NOT support Russia then for once? Please tell me now.

I don't want to say that this will happen - nobody knows. But in case it actually does I want to be prepared.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Default Re: What if Russia invaded Ukraine?

What if Russia invaded Ukraine?
    Uh... WORLD WAR ING THREE

Civitate

This would simply be a repeat of Adolf Hitler annexing German minorities in his neighbours countries, next is retaking land for the #Russian Empire' If they invade Ukraine, drastic steps must be taken. Very drastic.

It will happen eventually, not soon though, Russia needs to cool relations with the West before they even decide to move one battalion one mile.

Anyway, now my main point is: what would happen if Russia invaded Ukraine? or rather, what SHOULD happen in your opinion? Would you support that invasion? Condemn it? Call for sanctions? Military actions? Nothing?
    Russia should be attacked with a full military invasion.
    If Russia invaded Ukraine, they wouldn't do well, first of all, Ukraine's army is very similar to the Russian army, it has much personnel and weapons, and its mix of Western aid and weapons could be the deciding factor. If they lose, Russia will still get thrown back majorly.

Why WW3? Ukraine is not in NATO nor EU, Russia could again claim its "protecting Russian citizens" (well theyd have to give out a few passports first but that should be no problem).
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Quote Originally Posted by SuNL1ghT View Post
    Why WW3? Ukraine is not in NATO nor EU, Russia could again claim its "protecting Russian citizens" (well theyd have to give out a few passports first but that should be no problem).
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080911/wl_csm/oukraine_1

Russian citizens or Ukrainians of Russian background are common in Ukraine, particulary Western Ukraine and Crimea (I think).

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by SuNL1ghT View Post
    That's what Hitler said, and we ing owned him. So if Russia tries the protecting innocents thing again....then it runs out of credit. -BANG. End of World.

Grof's Avatar Campidoctor

Russia wont attack Ukraine. Just because Georgia was foolish enough to try something like attacking Ossetia and Russia responded doesn't mean that Russia will go on a rampage and start attacking all its former countries. Ukraine knows better than to disturb the Russian citizens in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grof View Post
    Russia will go on a rampage and start attacking all its former countries.
    Yeah they will, the Almight Tom Clancy (overseer of future Eastern European conflicts) said so.

Andrew87's Avatar Biarchus

It's not an issue yet.

If Russia invades Ukraine than a full blown war will begin. Ukraine is not as simple to invade as Georgia and this war will most certainly last much longer than a few days. I can't possibly see eastern european countries not getting involved and since most eastern nations are also members of NATO...

An invasion or annexation is impossible at this time. Russia's recent actions won't go unnoticed and won't be forgotten for a long time, the element of surprise needed for another swift invasion is gone.

I'm more worried about Transnistria than Crimeea to be honest...

(and thanks for starting another thread about russia vs. [insert small country],that's just what we needed, I'm almost sure Nikitin will say again how the NATO fleet will be destroyed in 0.2 seconds... )

I'm almost sure Nikitin will say again how the NATO fleet will be destroyed in 0.2 seconds... )
    Haha. Good one. Or Tobolight telling us that Russia only seeks to set up an anti-genocide shield.

Then it's time to send in the troops to protect Ukraine(Just defensive war).

Adrian's Avatar Campidoctor

Russia wont attack Ukraine of that you can be sure putin is not a idiot unlike shakasvily they would lose more than they would gain.

Ukraine from now on will be on a path to EU membership and the Russians cant do about it thats the truth.

So you can sleep safe at night ww3 wont start now.

If the EU can absorb Ukraine then that will signal the russians to keep good relations with the EU or suffer severe economical and political repercussions.

By a stretch of imagination if putin was high and ordered a invasion of ukraine they cant do it the EU would not permit war so close to its borders and NATO would intervene with US leadership .

So its a win win situation fro the EU and the US.

I dont think it will happen...

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

That's what Hitler said, and we ing owned him.
    Yeah, six years later after he conquered all or Europe, almost reached Moscow, invaded North Africa, bombed Britain, and sunk thousands of allied ships in the Atlantic

______

Anyhow, a Russian invasion of Ukraine would likely not result in WWIII. NATO does not place enough importance on Ukraine and they'd prefer to just let it be lost then to start a nuclear war over it.

The same thing goes for Georgia. Even if Georgia were in NATO when Russia invaded it, NATO would not get directly involved. They'd take a step back, start a massive trade embargo and break off relations completely with Russia, but they would not join in on the war directly. If you believe NATO would fully honour its alliance for the sake of those two countries you have too much faith...

The situation would be comparable to Germany's annexation of Poland, Austria, and Czechoslovakia, except where instead of appeasing Germany, the allies placed a mass embargo and condemned the country.

The world does not want WWIII and I'm sure the governments could take a whole lot of before they actually consider firing at Russia. Obviously the embargo and relation break would destroy the country one way or another and mean the fall of the ruling regime, so Russia would lose anyway. They wouldn't need to invade. Though after the fall of Russia, Georgia and Ukraine would be mightily pissed off.

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Ukraine from now on will be on a path to EU membership and the Russians cant do about it thats the truth.
    Great, all the eastern European countries think the EU's here to fight their battles with the Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshireman View Post
    Great, all the eastern European countries think the EU's here to fight their battles with the Russians.

I think the West should just leave Eastern Europe alone, Western Europe is too different from Eastern Europe in every way and they dont really need to care about Eastern Europe to survive, on the other hand, Eastern Europeans need Western Europe. I think the EU can just ignore it if Russia invades Eastern Europe countries. Cuz if u guys react, then people not living in Europe will be screwed as well.. So please dont... leave them alone

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

I dont foresee Russia attacking Ukraine. They may love their saber-rattling, but they aren't crazy.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Ass an American with a fair bit of history knowledge, I've always considered the Ukraine as part of Russia.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

Thats because that's what we have been taught. Thats not how alot of people in the Ukraine feel. The fact that it was conquered hundreds of years ago doest change the fact that they [i]were[i] conquered.

You must remember that at one time what we think of as Russia was a collection of smaller nation-states. Kiev was the center of a vast nation founded on trade. It wasnt until the Rus whose capital was Moscow overran their neighbors in the late middle ages that the concept of a single russian state was born.

Also you must remember that in almost every major conflict Russia has fought since, segments of the Ukraine, if not the entire Ukraine would rise up in unrest if not out right rebellion. segments of their population worked with germany against the Czar in WWI. Then they supported the White Russians anainst the communist. In WWII many of them supported the Nazi's against Hitler. There was even a Ukrainian Division in the German Army. Alot of bad blood between the Ukraine and Russia, bad blood indeed.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast