Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why dont they teach kids about The English Civil War in schools

Default Why dont they teach kids about The English Civil War in schools

I know almost nothing about The Civil War and i blame school
    if you asked a kid in high school or in fact any English person these day to
    name a battle or anything about the civil war i bet 90% wouldnt know

The Americans Teach there kids about there Civil war so why not us
    i know it wasnt as devastating (80,000-100,000 i think) but i was an important era in a nations history and shaped and changed the country

Any one else have any thoughts

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Why dont they teach kids about The English Civil War in schools

I never actually thought of that...

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

I learnt about the English civil war in school. After a quick google search it appears to remain on the curriculum. My sister is a secondary school teacher and she teaches history. Next time I talk to her, I'll ask her.

i know it wasnt as devastating (80,000-100,000 i think)
    It was the most devastating and bloody war to be fought on English soil. In Ireland it was even worse where the Cromwellian slaughter left half a million people dead.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    I learnt about the English civil war in school. After a quick google search it appears to remain on the curriculum. My sister is a secondary school teacher and she teaches history. Next time I talk to her, I'll ask her.

It was the most devastating and bloody war to be fought on English soil. In Ireland it was even worse where the Cromwellian slaughter left half a million people dead.

Cheers
    Not saying it wasnt as deverstateing
    just that more people were killed in american civil war
    Half a million?
    That sick! why coz they were catholic?

Yes, and because Cromwell believed we were sub-human. he had heard propaganda claiming that 200,000 Protestants had been massacred in 1641 (actually closer to 5,000). However, most Irish people died from a famine caused by his campaign, not by slaughter.

We learnt about the English Civil War as part of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in school, I had always assumed it was somewhat similar in Britain.

Not saying it wasnt as deverstateing
    just that more people were killed in american civil war
    If you total the casualties of the British civil wars, then the American civil war was less bloody.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    If you total the casualties of the British civil wars, then the American civil war was less bloody.

Cheers
    See because i wasnt taught about it in school i didnt know that
    Damn school

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

Weird, I learned of the English Civil War in high school ...IN CALIFORNIA. And it stuck with me well enough that I've been hoping for an ECW mod ever since MED2 was released. Hard to believe it's not taught very much in England...

CLICKY

It could be that some people don't think the War of the Three Kingdoms had that long lasting of an impact. To quote a song "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." Replace douche-bag Charles I with a bigger douche-bag Oliver Cromwell, a king in all, but name. And besides all the changes were wiped out in 20 years so no big deal.
    Besides the "parliamentarians" could more accurately be represented as merely Protest extremists, fighting a religious war, a very similar dynamic to the 30 years war that was being waged at the same time.
    Last edited by Silentio; September 11, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentio View Post
    I. To quote a song "meet the new boss, same as the old boss." Replace douche-bag Charles I with a bigger douche-bag Oliver Cromwell, a king in all, but name. And .
    There is a statue of Oliver Cromwell in my town center and i agree
    coz he looks like a bit of a end

It could be that some people don't think the War of the Three Kingdoms had that long lasting of an impact.
    Said people are unaware then that Cromwell is the ultimate incarnation of British oppression to most Irish and his love of forceful persuasion may have inadvertantly made Irish nationalism what it is. Ironically, by trying to make Ireland loyal to England, he destroyed the Confederates, who were mostly pro-English (as some of its leaders were English). As you can imagine, they were the last Irish rebels to swear allegiance to the king.

Today is the anniversary of the Siege of Drogheda, funnily enough.
    Last edited by Ardruire Iacób; September 11, 2008 at 10:12 AM.

BritPatriot1815's Avatar Ducenarius
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I've learnt it at my school
    How far will I go for Rome? At least to the end of the street, I hate walking

Quote Originally Posted by carson1482 View Post
    See because i wasnt taught about it in school i didnt know that
    Damn school
    Soldiers Killed in the US Civil war --- about 600,000
    Military Casualties in the US Civil war -- about 1,000,000

Most died from disease or infection because of primitive medical care, and I do believe that number counts the dead in Yankee/Rebel prisons.

However we do not have reliable numbers in terms of civilians killed so it could be more though from my understanding both sides generally attempted to keep civilian causalities low through most of the war (with the major exception of sieges and indirectly Sherman's march.)
    Last edited by SSJPabs; September 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

The History curriculum covers various topics at each age group and schools can pick what bits they teach, this is often based on what teachers you have and what they know about. At my school we certainly did the civil war but then we no doubt missed something your school did teach.

it isn't just history though you could well ask 'why didn't my school teach Budhism in RE lessons?' to which the answer might be, you learnt about Hinduism because thats what your teacher is particularly learned on, in a different school with a different teacher you may have done budhism or sikhism instead.

does that make sense?
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

I studied it, albeit in Year 8 in little detail.

I studied it in yr 8 looking at the military side of things, and then in yrs 12 and 13 looking deeper into the politics and the causes of the events of the civil war.

I studied it, and I'm from the UK. :hmmm:

Formerly Tyrtaeus

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by AWZC View Post
    I studied it in yr 8 looking at the military side of things, and then in yrs 12 and 13 looking deeper into the politics and the causes of the events of the civil war.
    Lucky you..

Great mod, by the way.
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

I went to school in England and we got the civil war, I'd be shocked if this isn't being taught today. I've also read somewhere the total casualties including civilian was near two million, one of the main causes being the spread of disease by troops, venereal being one of them, to every corner of the country. I think there's also more of an awareness to educate in places where Cromwell had an impact, Ireland and also Scotland.

We're more or less educated as to how Cromwell took power, his reasoning, and how he really set centuries of religious conflict in Ireland in motion. I'm still astounded that things like this isn't really taught over there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast