Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Aelinus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Aelinus

I will willingly complete whatever task the senate charges me with.

(ooc: My name is Caius Scipio, unless I am just confused about who you are talking about?)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Legate is a task for a lower level senator. Perhaps one of the lower senators, below or at the Quaestor rank, would care to take the task?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Not to stray from the matter being discussed at the moment, but i would like to propose a motion to make sure the current senior consul be allowed to finnish his campaign against taras, should it take longer than his term as consul.

for the matter of legates i say we either let the consul choose one himself, or we choose from those who are willing to perform this duty.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

What you say is true, Lucius. Are there any other noble senators here willing to serve as legate?

Senator

"i would honoured if the senate would allow me to become the legate"

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator Galerius may be a good choice. This would give him necessary field experience in a command capacity. I move that Senator Galerius be attached to any legion the senate should appropriate for the Senior Consul. That is, should the Senior Consul ever care to tell us what legion he intends to take.

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Titus Livius Drusus rises to debate:

"Gentlemen, I argue that the best course would be to let the Consul himself choose whomever he likes best to take as subordinate. Not that I have anything against you, Vibius Galerius. It is just that it strikes me as proper for the Commander in chief to select whomever he wants to be with him in his campaign, a selection based on merit rather than vote. Lastly, I argue against Senator Lepidus' proposal to send a Quaestorial to do a legate's job -- I feel that this breach of presedence isn't one to my liking, Lucius Aurelius. The Quaestor is a pay clerk with no education in matters of war; how is he expected to act as a junior officer? Wouldn't it be best to leave this job to those that both are eligible -- the simple non elected members of this August Body -- and capable? That was all, Fathers."
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; September 17, 2008 at 01:27 AM.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Yes, I believe that after all that debate, it is still the best choice to allow the Consul to choose his own legate for the campaign. He alone knows who he will work well with, and who he trusts. Let him make the decision.

Then we require two things of the Senior Consul.
    1. That he presents to the senate a complete overview of his chosen forces, that we may see and approve or dissapprove of them.
    2. That he chooses from the senators without rank or with a low rank one to be his legate.

I propose that this is done before the end of the term, so we may make progress in this campaign, and that we may start it to begin with.
    Last edited by Selifator; September 17, 2008 at 02:35 AM.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

Senators of Rome.
    Our financial situation is dire and I have been able to come up with a small force that will enable us to overthrow Taras and enfold the south under Roman rule.

Lucius unbinds the wax tablet and reads it contents...

From Arpi we will enlist one maniple of Triarii, one maniple of Principes, one maniple of Hastati and one maniple of Equites. We will also recruit one maniple of Hastati from the region costing us 1006 Denarii.
    From Arretium we will enlist one maniple of Triarii, one maniple of Principes, one maniple of Hastati and one unit of Rorarii as well as recruit one unit of Rorarii costing us 959 Denarii and one unit of Hastati costing 1006 Denarii.

This will give us a legion consisting of II maniples of Rorarii, IV maniples of Hastati, II maniples of Triarii and II maniples of Principes. The unit of Equites will be lead by my legatus and I myself will hold the other unit of horse.
    If this is in order we can send requests to the regions to begin the movement of units and recruiting. This will be our only legion and we must safeguard it with our lifes. As legatus I have yet to decide on a candidate but with that in mind when he is appointed he will ride ahead of myself and prepare the advance in the south. I will then ride to meet him with the men from Arretium and we will rally in Arpi just north of Taras.
    The senate may now discuss this and decide on an outcome.
    Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

I am for it!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I believe the Consul's plan is a good one. It gives us an army to use, yet leaves enough garrisons to act as defence. Also, he has also put limited strain on our treasury to make a relatively strong army. It is well structured.

Senator Clarus, please be a bit more restrained. We are in the honored Curia after all. I am in support of this proposal and will gladly open the vote, but I believe more senators should present their views first.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

While I would have liked to see a plan that required a smaller commitment of hastati, I understand why we need so many men. I am for this plan, and I move that the consul bring a vote before the Curia.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I suport the proposal.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I support the motion too,it's great because it will not drain our economy and we will still be able to defend ourselves."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Forgive me consul but i do not see the harm in showing my support for a good proposal.

Very well. I will leave it to my co-consul to open the voting on this measure. I will now leave and will be away for the rest of the day. I will post my choice for legatus tomorrow on the curia door.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Forgive me consul but i do not see the harm in showing my support for a good proposal.
    Aye, you are correct, but we are the men who lead Rome and all her people. We must uphold her values and restraint is one among those, I do not implore you to be silent, but I ask that you keep in mind our values and act accordingly.

I have presented the Motion and it is now open for voting.
    Last edited by Selifator; September 18, 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Senators, thank you for you time this afternoon.
    I have made my choice and thought about who to appoint as my legatus. As was approved by the tribune I nominate Vibius Galerius.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast