Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Aelinus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Scribonius/Galerius

I think the slight raise in taxes should be alright provided that the people of those cities remain happy and content. As I said before, we don't want rioting in our own lands when we still have other enemies to think about. As for the fleet, that is truly an expensive cost for it's maintenance. I think we will have to disband it in order to give our income more of a jump in these years. However, Quaestor, do you know of any other fleets that can be built which have a cheaper building and maintaining fee? Just so our seas are still protected.

On a different note, where is our Junior Consul? He has not made much of an appearance in the Senate. It is already midway through the year, and the a Princeps Senatus is yet to be appointed!

Hail fellow Senators, I arrive to you only now for I have been struck with disease. Resting and praying to the gods has brought me back to health, and I have come to take my place.
    I have requested information reports (OOC: am installing the mod) and await their arrival, but if one of the more informed senators could provide me with an overview or a map, that would be most helpfull.
    My senior consul has already drawn plans and I am still in doubt as to what I must do. Fear not, I know of my duties to Rome, and shall not shirk away.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Senator

"I would like to appoint Senator Oppius Aulus Caelinus for Princeps Senatus, and i would like to agree with the Quaestor on the matter of the taxes"
    ooc: sorry been waiting for a report off rex, terms are still two weeks right? and sorry this is my first term at being the junior consul

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

"I request a map showing the current stat of our empire and it's neighbours."
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I agree, we need information!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Senior Consul Scribonius, would you care to give us the requested information?

Caesar Rex's Avatar Campidoctor

I must appologise for the information coming to you senators.
    Much has happened since our last meeting and I have been able to obtain the details we require.
    It is not much and we need to decide how we are to use the little treasury we have left.
    Previous wars have left us scared and our treasury is depleted.
    We can look to our allies but even their loyalty is paid for.
    I offer you what we have.
    Barely enough to wage war so what will our next step be?

Also this is the current map of our Italian Allies with the income being received and lost throughout the Roman world.

Co-Founder and Leader at Clan Dream (Multi-National Online Gaming Community)

Voice Chat @ Discord

Senator

"Thanks for the report consul, the good news is that we are making a profit but not much, not enough to support a war, we need to send diplomats to the four corners of the earth asking for trade rights with any faction we meet, In the cities Roma and capua we are losing money, we must build some markets, roads and anything else that will boast our income. then we can build our selves some legions and conquer the whole of italia."

"It is my opinion that for the time being we burden our citizens with slightly harsher taxes in order to fund economic improvements and then work to slowly build up the military. After the economy is better looked after, we can lower taxes again."

But do we attack Tarentum right away? or are we delaying our military campaign while we "build up" ?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

We do ourselves no favors by delaying. The Tarentines are weak now, and we should strike while the iron is hot. To delay would allow them to rebuild their tattered army and perhaps even gain aid from our foes in Epirus.

Let us take Taras and put an end to this horrible saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Senator

"if we attack we will win but we might not be able to defend ourselves from other attacks, if is that a risk the senate is willing to take? also if we delay it will mean that epirus will grow strong again but won't we grow strong aswell or even stronger? Money is everything without it we are nothing. "
    Last edited by Mr.Jack; September 13, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

The consul has a point.
    Fighting is one thing, but we are not at the strongest as we were. It is nothing for us to deploy a few troops to crush the enemy but what does that leave us. Should we use the last of the treasury to gain a larger military strength. Increasing the taxes would allow us to build and further recruit in the fall. Right now our allied settlements are ripe for the picking of any one of our foes. We cannot let this befall them or us for that matter for we are just as open a target.

Voice Chat @ Discord

I have two points to make about these monetary matters:

1. If we conquer Taras, doesn't that result in loot which could boost our treasury? Also, newly conquered territory, if treated correctly (i.e. relocated or enslaved) tends to yield quite a lot of profit in the years after it's capture. Therefore, conquering Taras is also a step toward helping our economy.

2. We also have that fleet sitting there in the Arretium port, and I believe we established before that it was taking up a lot of our yearly spendings. Since there is not major threat from sea at the moment, we still have the option to disband that fleet until our treasury is more capable of paying for such a force to be maintained.

Senator

"1. will get money from it but it will cost us aswell; because we will lose troops, and will have to replace them that will cost us and also we will have to make the land romanised (if that is the word)
    2.i say we disband it for now

i believe this term will not be a term of war."

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Tribune Lepidus stands,

"Disbanding the fleet is an excellent suggestion. The funding required for this fleet of merchant vessels are extortionate, and the funds could very well be used elsewhere. I am utterly in support of disbanding this useless fleet."

Lepidus pauses collect his thought,

"Now as to the matter of the hour. We must take Taras eventually, that much is certain. They have aided and abeited the greatest enemy in the history of our Republic, and they must be brought to bear. I have heard the arguments of my reasonable colleagues as to why we should bide our time in interest, yet am utterly unconvinced."

"Can you senators not see that Taras is as weak now as it will ever be? In a year or two they will begin to rebuild, no doubt with Epriote aid, and begin to turn their sights to the nation that so shamed them some years previous. We cannot allow Taras to return to prominence!"

Lepidus pauses, and continues with a lower voice.

"Senators, there is a more sinister force at work, however, that compels me to urge this action. King Phyrrus still lives, now embroiled with Macedonia. Should we stall, he may yet see that Taras still stands, and this may give him hope for a second invasion! Crushing Taras now will be a powerful symbol that Rome will not be trifled with, and interfence in Roman Italy will lead to destruction. Crushing Taras now will announce to the world our new status as a regional power, and we may yet be free to continue our republic in peace. We must respond to our enemies now with force lest we be trodden across later!"

"I will call upon the Curia to vote on the following motion now:

The Senate shall, before the end of the year, appoint a commander and suitable legion to capture the Greek city of Taras and its territorial holdings."

Lepidus sits, depleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Aye, the Tarentine scoundrels need to be immediately wiped out.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

So be it. Let us vote on the matter at hand along with the disbandment of the fleet. If any of you senators feel the urge to leave Rome for Taras then you may see me later to discuss appointment.

Voice Chat @ Discord

Disband the fleet and KILL THE GREEKS!

Perhaps we should allow all the people who wish to run for the commanding position to stand forward, and if there is more than one entrant, then the Senate can vote for the most worthy one to take the command?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast